Negative Carriers

Old May 14th 04, 06:13 AM
Donald Qualls

Default Negative Carriers

I just purchased a Fuji Model B enlarger, which (at a very reasonable
price) came without lenses or negative carriers. I have lenses in
process -- M39 mount, so not hard to arrange, and "normal" lenses are
quite reasonable these days (I'm not looking forward to paying for the
28 mm or shorter I'll want for 16 mm negatives, though). I can make
negative carriers if I must, but if I could buy some used ones, I'd
prefer it.

Does anyone know if the Fuji Model B uses the same carriers as a common
enlarger like a Durst, Omega, Beseler, Bogen, etc.? FWIW, it's a
condenser type with a 6x9 cm maximum opening.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old May 14th 04, 04:29 PM
Mike King

Many of the Japanese enlargers are similar to the Bogen, Spiratone, etc.
that were also imported from Japan in the 60's, 70's, 80's. They use
stamped metal carriers made in either two parts with a simple hinge or a
more complicated multi-part design. If you have no carriers you'll need to
make measurements and describe the type and size carrier you need. Or you
can take an existing carrier and mask down the opening with black tape for
smaller sizes or get out the Dremel to enlarge to opening for bigger negs.
With a little inspecting it shouldn't be that hard to fabricate all new
carriers as well. I would recommend matt board scraps for the one off jobs
where you have only a few negs of a size to print and for more permanent
rigs-aluminum. Use flat black paint, Krylon's heat resistant black (made
for Barbecue's works well) and have at it.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old May 14th 04, 04:31 PM
Mike King

BTW small diameter plus diopter closeup lenses work well in a pinch
to modify the focal length of enlarging lenses.

The Voss 28mm is pretty good, not too expensive, and has a recessed mount
(Important if your enlarger does not have recessed lens boards.).
--
darkroommike

----------

Old May 15th 04, 05:14 AM
Donald Qualls

Mike King wrote:

Many of the Japanese enlargers are similar to the Bogen, Spiratone, etc.
that were also imported from Japan in the 60's, 70's, 80's. They use
stamped metal carriers made in either two parts with a simple hinge or a
more complicated multi-part design. If you have no carriers you'll need to
make measurements and describe the type and size carrier you need. Or you
can take an existing carrier and mask down the opening with black tape for
smaller sizes or get out the Dremel to enlarge to opening for bigger negs.
With a little inspecting it shouldn't be that hard to fabricate all new
carriers as well. I would recommend matt board scraps for the one off jobs
where you have only a few negs of a size to print and for more permanent
rigs-aluminum. Use flat black paint, Krylon's heat resistant black (made
for Barbecue's works well) and have at it.

Thanks, Mike. This one has a pair of simple leaf springs to hold the
carrier in place under the condenser, so I'd expect the original
carriers consisted of two flat plates, possibly with a film width milled
slot for clearance and alignment pegs, of course, and likely some kind
of flange around the outer edge to prevent fogging from stray light.
Hinged or not, I don't know -- no carriers at all with it. The lower
body has a tab protruding at the front of the carrier slot which has a
threaded hole that looks like M5; I have no idea what for. The carrier
stage is circular, almost exactly 150 mm diameter, with a chordal
straight edge at the back 28 mm deep into the circle. There's a milled
notch with a leaf spring in each end (secured by large headed screws
that probably also acted as stops); the slot is 5 mm wide and 5 mm deep,
in the head within the chordal rebate, about 3 mm behind the back of the
stage proper, which I also haven't identified as to purpose, though it
looks as if a 5 mm rod could be inserted from either end to a depth of
about 35 mm.

Minimum bellows length is 29 mm from the top of the M39 threads to the
bottom surface of the negative carrier stage; 28 mm lens might work
without modifcation, as long as I won't need huge magnifications.

The condenser is about 115 x 80 mm, and the bottom of the condenser
would be no more than about 6 mm from the negative, so it probably used
glassless carriers.

It looks as if this one might fit, at least by shape:

It doesn't look as if any of the Beseler, Omega, or Saunders carriers
listed on eBay will fit.

I surely can fabricate carriers to fit (though I prefer brass over
aluminum, because it can be soldered more easily) -- though it would be
easier with one factory carrier to look at. It'd be still easier,
though, to buy some, especially with the fire-sale prices on off-brand
enlarging equipment on eBay these days.