Mamiya service and gray market

Old June 24th 04, 07:42 PM
Mike

Default Mamiya service and gray market

I talked with Mamiya America parts and service today regarding in and out of
warrantee service.
I was told there is *no warrantee service* available on any bodies, lenses
or magazines of the following models IF they are Gray Market; Mamiya 7,
645AF and 645AFD.
The serial numbers will be checked to determine if the item in question was
sold through an authorized USA outlet. As for out of warrantee, I was told
parts and service will be taken on a case by case basis.

Old June 24th 04, 08:03 PM
Matt Clara

"Mike" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I talked with Mamiya America parts and service today regarding in and out

of
warrantee service.
I was told there is *no warrantee service* available on any bodies, lenses
or magazines of the following models IF they are Gray Market; Mamiya 7,
645AF and 645AFD.
The serial numbers will be checked to determine if the item in question

was
sold through an authorized USA outlet. As for out of warrantee, I was

told
parts and service will be taken on a case by case basis.

Thanks Mike!

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 24th 04, 09:01 PM
Art

You found out why. When you call them you actually get to talk to a person
who knows their cameras. Somebody has got to pay their salary.

hlink.net...

Old June 24th 04, 09:47 PM
Mike

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
You found out why. When you call them you actually get to talk to a

person
who knows their cameras. Somebody has got to pay their salary.

Very true. The reason for my call to MA was to get some clarification.
It is also true the sales department, in most cases, can no longer support
the service department.
You may find companies adopting similar gray market policies with respect to
warrantee service.
The group that formed MA spent a huge amount of money, I have heard 5
million, to get the sole importation and distribution rights. There is a
great deal of infrastructure needed to do what MA does.
At any rate now one knows the risk of bringing in gray market equipment,
flip the coin or roll the dice.
Mike

Old June 24th 04, 11:17 PM
Tony Clark

Let them check the serial numbers. Have you compared the prices in the
US to Robert White in the UK? No wonder MA offers rebates on their
products, the prices are inflated and grey market makes more sense to
me. I have rarely needed service or repairs and would simply rent a
piece locally if I needed to ship a body or lens back for repair. I have
purchased grey market Nikon lenses and have never had a problem.
Besides, there are very good independent repair shop here in Atlanta if
needed.

Old June 25th 04, 12:21 AM
Stacey

Mike wrote:

I talked with Mamiya America parts and service today regarding in and out
of warrantee service.
I was told there is *no warrantee service* available on any bodies, lenses
or magazines of the following models IF they are Gray Market; Mamiya 7,
645AF and 645AFD.
The serial numbers will be checked to determine if the item in question
was
sold through an authorized USA outlet. As for out of warrantee, I was
told parts and service will be taken on a case by case basis.

BMW did the same thing in the 80's when grey market european cars were
popular. With cars, seems they change the parts -just enough- so that many
US spec parts won't fit on eurospec cars. They would sell USA spec parts
but would not service a euro spec model in their shops nor order euro spec
parts. With a mamiya I can't imagine the grey market cameras are any
different and if they refuse to sell "USA" parts to you or demand a serial
number before they will, just tell them you need this is writing. I don't
believe it's legal for them to refuse to sell you parts no matter where the
camera came from. There are other places to have a camera serviced if this
is needed. While I agree MA deserves to make some money, their "upcharge"
is outragious and why I've never bought any of their cameras new.
--

Stacey
Old June 25th 04, 02:10 AM
Mike

"Tony Clark" wrote in message
link.net...
Let them check the serial numbers. Have you compared the prices in the
US to Robert White in the UK? No wonder MA offers rebates on their
products, the prices are inflated and grey market makes more sense to
me. I have rarely needed service or repairs and would simply rent a
piece locally if I needed to ship a body or lens back for repair. I have
purchased grey market Nikon lenses and have never had a problem.
Besides, there are very good independent repair shop here in Atlanta if
needed.

I am not defending MA I had gotten the info in answer to a question and I
personally don't care where a person purchases their equipment. As an
independent repair shop I only care that I can get parts when I need them.
I can say the parts service from MA is far superior to Nikon.

Old June 25th 04, 02:16 AM
Mike

"Stacey" wrote in message

[...]

All Mamiya cameras like all Nikons or Pentax's are the same cameras whether
purchased in the USA or GB. I don't know what the cost of a Mamiya
distributorship anywhere in Europe would cost or entail.
Like I have said, I am not defending MA.

Old June 25th 04, 03:19 AM
Stacey

Mike wrote:

I am not defending MA I had gotten the info in answer to a question and I
personally don't care where a person purchases their equipment. As an
independent repair shop I only care that I can get parts when I need them.
I can say the parts service from MA is far superior to Nikon.

So they aren't demanding serial numbers to buy repair parts? I wouldn't
expect nor would I even try to get warranty -service- on any grey market
item. IMHO that goes with the territory: same money, take some risk.

--

Stacey
Old June 25th 04, 03:32 AM
Mike

"Stacey" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I am not defending MA I had gotten the info in answer to a question and

personally don't care where a person purchases their equipment. As an
independent repair shop I only care that I can get parts when I need

them.
I can say the parts service from MA is far superior to Nikon.

So they aren't demanding serial numbers to buy repair parts? I wouldn't
expect nor would I even try to get warranty -service- on any grey market
item. IMHO that goes with the territory: same money, take some risk.

--

Stacey

Stacy you really do need to read what I have written and *not* what you
think I intended to say.
Lets see what I was replyinhg to.

"Tony Clark" wrote in message
link.net...
Let them check the serial numbers. Have you compared the prices in the
US to Robert White in the UK? No wonder MA offers rebates on their
products, the prices are inflated and grey market makes more sense to
me. I have rarely needed service or repairs and would simply rent a
piece locally if I needed to ship a body or lens back for repair. I have
purchased grey market Nikon lenses and have never had a problem.
Besides, there are very good independent repair shop here in Atlanta if
needed.

I am not defending MA I had gotten the info in answer to a question and I
personally don't care where a person purchases their equipment. As an
independent repair shop I only care that I can get parts when I need them.
I can say the parts service from MA is far superior to Nikon.

Now where did I say MA wouldn't ask for a serial number when I ordered
parts?