Mounting a 4x5 Field Camera sideways...

Old January 19th 04, 02:10 PM
Robert S. Dean

Default Mounting a 4x5 Field Camera sideways...

This is going to seem like a stupid question, so I apologize in
advance.

I've been shooting with a Speed Graphic for the past year and a
half, and have finally come to the point where I'd like to (and
I'm able to) buy something with some additional capability for
movements. I've been considering a Shen Hao field camera, which
I gather doesn't have a rotating back. How do you deal with
vertical format shots? Is it possible for this (or similar lower-
end field cameras) to just tilt the tripod head 90 degrees?
Do people not shoot verticals? (In case anyone isn't familiar
with it, the Speed has a second tripod mount on the side for
vertical shots, which I use fairly often.)

Thanks,

Rob Dean
Old January 19th 04, 03:36 PM
f/256

"Robert S. Dean" wrote in message
This is going to seem like a stupid question, so I apologize in
advance.

I've been shooting with a Speed Graphic for the past year and a
half, and have finally come to the point where I'd like to (and
I'm able to) buy something with some additional capability for
movements. I've been considering a Shen Hao field camera, which
I gather doesn't have a rotating back. How do you deal with
vertical format shots? Is it possible for this (or similar lower-
end field cameras) to just tilt the tripod head 90 degrees?
Do people not shoot verticals? (In case anyone isn't familiar
with it, the Speed has a second tripod mount on the side for
vertical shots, which I use fairly often.)

See this picture http://www.shen-hao.com/images/4x5.gif the 2 black latches
on the top/rear corners keep the back secured to the camera, they also allow
you to remove the back flip it 90degrees and used it in the portrait
position.

Guillermo

Old January 19th 04, 04:19 PM
BCampbell

When a camera is described as having a "rotating back" or a "revolving back"
that usually means the back doesn't have to be removed from the camera to
switch from horizontal to vertical and vice versa. The back is just rotated
while staying on the camera. Cameras that don't have "rotating backs" can
usually still be switched from horizontal to vertical, it's just that the
back has to be removed and put back on in the desired orientation
(horizontal or vertical). That's the way the Shen Hao back works. So you
don't have to tilt the tripod head to shoot verticals, you just remove the
back and put it back on in vertical orientation.

I've used cameras with both kinds of backs and haven't seen a significant
advantage to rotating backs. Removing the back and putting it back on in the
desired orientation is very simple and takes only a few seconds. Rotating
backs do allow you to easily make photogaphs at an angle (i.e. with the back
oriented in between the vertical and horizontal positions) but that isn't
something I do.

Old January 19th 04, 06:20 PM
christoph-erdmann.pfeiler

Dear Mr. Dean,

possibly this:

http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/fr_eha5z.htm

is just what you want - an accessory for a quick mounting system

Yours sinderly

cep

Old January 19th 04, 07:47 PM
Tom

Or you can use the Bogan/Manofrotto Large 3D Head as I do. Then it it just a
matter of loosening the knob and flipping the camera and tightening the knob.
You can also mount the camera vertically on it with out removing the strap if
that is what you prefer.

--

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
In article , says...

I've been shooting with a Speed Graphic ... How do you deal with
vertical format shots ...

You turn the camera. Speed Graphics were meant to be used hand
held. The tripod sockets are for occasional use, as they are on
a '35. Though you could have thought they would put the vertical
socket somewhere but _under_ the hand-strap. It always makes me
want to pound a T-nut into the _right_ side of the camera.

Old January 19th 04, 10:41 PM
Robert S. Dean

BCampbell wrote:

When a camera is described as having a "rotating back" or a "revolving back"
that usually means the back doesn't have to be removed from the camera to
switch from horizontal to vertical and vice versa. The back is just rotated
while staying on the camera. Cameras that don't have "rotating backs" can
usually still be switched from horizontal to vertical, it's just that the
back has to be removed and put back on in the desired orientation
(horizontal or vertical). That's the way the Shen Hao back works.

Thanks! The light goes on. Yes, that wouldn't be enough trouble to
justify the expense of a revolving back.

Rob Dean
Old January 19th 04, 10:46 PM
Robert S. Dean

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

I've been shooting with a Speed Graphic ... How do you deal with
vertical format shots ...

You turn the camera. Speed Graphics were meant to be used hand
held. The tripod sockets are for occasional use, as they are on
a '35. Though you could have thought they would put the vertical
socket somewhere but _under_ the hand-strap. It always makes me
want to pound a T-nut into the _right_ side of the camera.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Sorry to have been unclear in my original question. Yes, I'm
now quite used to turning the camera on the Speed. I usually
keep a quick release plate in both sockets since I ended up with
a spare. I've got a side-mounted Kalart, so between that,
the focal plane shutter controls and the flash bracket I don't
know where I'd put a tripod mount on the right. It does
leave me in the odd position of knowing whether a vertical
shot was done on the tripod or handheld with the flash, as
they end up in opposite orientations...

Rob Dean
Old January 20th 04, 12:22 AM
Raphael Bustin

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:10:11 -0500, "Robert S. Dean"
wrote:

This is going to seem like a stupid question, so I apologize in
advance.

I've been shooting with a Speed Graphic for the past year and a
half, and have finally come to the point where I'd like to (and
I'm able to) buy something with some additional capability for
movements. I've been considering a Shen Hao field camera, which
I gather doesn't have a rotating back.

Quite incorrect. Just got mine today. It is a beauty,
and the back rotates just as you'd expect.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com