Digital Point and Shoot Question

Old October 22nd 04, 06:20 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

(AustinBoston) wrote in message . com...
snip

Myself, I'm not sure I've ever used a camera in auto-everything
mode...but I won't worry about those who do.

Austin

I agree somewhat, as my wife has started wanting to go on my
photography outings. So much so, I had to buy a CP5400 to supplement
the CP5700 we already had because she "hogged" the 5700 so much I
could hardly use it all. (I've now sold the 5400 and bought a D-SLR,
still have the 5700.) But then, again, sometimes they need to learn
the "advanced" or "creative" ways for their own good.

In my wife's case, the camera is typically on aperture-priority, and I
keep having to remind her to use a faster-shutter speed to prevent
blur if she utilizes the 250-280mm equivalent end of the zoom. She
keeps getting blurry pictures when she zooms due to slow shutter
speeds and I keep telling her "twirl the dial" meaning use the command
wheel to "shift" the aperture/shutter speed combination. How hard is
that? But she practically never remembers. Even when I later see a
blurry photo and figure out via EXIF data the problem, I then tell her
AGAIN she needs to up her shutter speed, she AGIAN keeps asking "how
do you do that?"

Argh!! Just twirl the #$((&$(* dial!!

Why not shutter-priority, you ask? Typically it's near night-time with
many of our outings and there's the risk of underexposure if it's
darkening, and 1/60 second is fine with wide-angle shots. But I can
NEVER get her to get those principles in her head, obvious as they
are.

She also takes too many pictures. Yes, even in the digital realm that
is possible. I've seen outings where I take 40-70 photos in a 1 1/2
hour period of different vantages points of scenics in the desert,
that's still almost a photo a minute. Meanwhile, she's taken 250! And
3/4ths of them look like the same thing--no exposure compensation
tweaks, or saturation tweaks, or vantage-point tweaks, just 4-5
pictures of the EXACT SAME THING with every single subject. I'm
like--for crying out loud, the camera is going to wear out by the end
of the year at that rate.

I can NEVER get her to understand that you take 3-4 pictures of the
same thing when it's say, a wedding and the bride & groom are kissing;
put it in "burst" mode and pick the best of the 3-5 of those. Or, with
scenics, take 2-3 of the same thing with EV at 0, EV at -1, EV at +1,
etc. (Bracketing of course.) But then, after that, unless the lighting
has changed or you see a better point of view you want to try out,
then at least for that subject--STOP! No more. You can only take so
many before it's just waste.

Ah, the beauty of marriage. (Yes, I am happy, but yeah they are
quirks.)

LRH

Old October 23rd 04, 01:41 AM
Art Salmons

(Larry R Harrison Jr) wrote in message . com...
(AustinBoston) wrote in message . com...
snip

Myself, I'm not sure I've ever used a camera in auto-everything
mode...but I won't worry about those who do.

Austin

I agree somewhat, as my wife has started wanting to go on my
photography outings. So much so, I had to buy a CP5400 to supplement
the CP5700 we already had because she "hogged" the 5700 so much I
could hardly use it all. (I've now sold the 5400 and bought a D-SLR,
still have the 5700.) But then, again, sometimes they need to learn
the "advanced" or "creative" ways for their own good.

I set the camera up last night and it's a great camera. I took a few
shots to make sure it's working OK (right!!!) and tomorrow I get to
start showing her how to use it. She has a great eye and she takes
good pictures. She just doesn't like lugging around a large camera and
dealing with changing lens. Which is funny because that is why I love
an SLR. She will shoot almost all her shots on full auto or program.

In my wife's case, the camera is typically on aperture-priority, and I
keep having to remind her to use a faster-shutter speed to prevent
blur if she utilizes the 250-280mm equivalent end of the zoom. She
keeps getting blurry pictures when she zooms due to slow shutter
speeds and I keep telling her "twirl the dial" meaning use the command
wheel to "shift" the aperture/shutter speed combination. How hard is
that? But she practically never remembers. Even when I later see a
blurry photo and figure out via EXIF data the problem, I then tell her
AGAIN she needs to up her shutter speed, she AGIAN keeps asking "how
do you do that?"

I will try to slowly get her to understand the use of shutter and
aperture priority. She may try and she may not. I also want her to use
the macro part of the camera because she loves shots of flowers. This
Canon G6 seems to have a very good fast lens. The few pictures I took
were very sharp and looked great on a grey over cast day here. I shoot
mostly in aperture priority to control depth of field. I use shutter
priority for action and my grandkids sports.

[...]

I can see where you can take a lot of pictures when you use digital,
Plus you can change ISO before the picture and you can shoot without
worring about where you are in the roll. Those things seem really
cool.

I'm just happy that she wants to take pictures because it makes it
easier for me when I say lets go here or there because I want to shoot
some pictures.

I can NEVER get her to understand that you take 3-4 pictures of the
same thing when it's say, a wedding and the bride & groom are kissing;
put it in "burst" mode and pick the best of the 3-5 of those. Or, with
scenics, take 2-3 of the same thing with EV at 0, EV at -1, EV at +1,
etc. (Bracketing of course.) But then, after that, unless the lighting
has changed or you see a better point of view you want to try out,
then at least for that subject--STOP! No more. You can only take so
many before it's just waste.

Ah, the beauty of marriage. (Yes, I am happy, but yeah they are
quirks.)

It will be thirty years for us next year so something is working. I
got my Canon 10D yesterday but haven't started working with it yet. I
like the looks and I've started reading the manual and it will do lots
of things. The 64 dollar question becomes will it be good enough to
make me get out of film. Only time will tell as I certainly can see a
lot of benefits. It will end up being the quality of my pictures when
I look at them and see the results and then compare them to my
experience with film.

Thanks for the comments

Art

Old October 25th 04, 03:37 PM
AustinBoston

wrote

major snippage

She also takes too many pictures. Yes, even in the digital realm that
is possible.

Nonsense. I remember reading about a National Geographic publication
about rivers of the world. The shortest chapter had seven
photographs. The three photographers assigned to take them shot a
combined 17,000 photographs. The longest chapter had something like
25,000 photos shot for it. That was long before the days of digital.

I've seen outings where I take 40-70 photos in a 1 1/2
hour period of different vantages points of scenics in the desert,
that's still almost a photo a minute. Meanwhile, she's taken 250! And
3/4ths of them look like the same thing--no exposure compensation
tweaks, or saturation tweaks, or vantage-point tweaks, just 4-5
pictures of the EXACT SAME THING with every single subject.

I did some of that this weekend. I shot 180 pictures inside a cave,
all available light, in about one hour. Many were identical in
composition and exposure. Because of subtle differences in focus and
movement blur (cave did not allow tripods), I had several times when
even though I shot five images, NONE were usable. I hoped I would get
10 usable shots out of those 180. I got about 15, so I am thrilled.

I'm
like--for crying out loud, the camera is going to wear out by the end
of the year at that rate.

I doubt the camera is going to wear out from doing what it is designed
to do.

I can NEVER get her to understand that you take 3-4 pictures of the
same thing when it's say, a wedding and the bride & groom are kissing;
put it in "burst" mode and pick the best of the 3-5 of those. Or, with
scenics, take 2-3 of the same thing with EV at 0, EV at -1, EV at +1,
etc. (Bracketing of course.) But then, after that, unless the lighting
has changed or you see a better point of view you want to try out,
then at least for that subject--STOP! No more. You can only take so
many before it's just waste.

How is it waste? Is she throwing something away, or do you have to
pay for bits or something? Does she sort and edit her own pictures?

Austin (wishes he could get his DW to take more pictures)