Recommendation to replace Kodak DC280 needed

Old October 26th 04, 10:12 PM
TS

Default Recommendation to replace Kodak DC280 needed

I'm ready for a new digital camera to use on vacation in Europe.
I love my DC280 mostly because the picture quality has been so
fantastic despite having only 2.1 megapixels. I have seen pictures
from some newer cameras with much higher megapixels that looked worse
to me. However the bulk and slow lag times when using flash is
getting old. Plus I want to be able to record small videos and also
not deal with a tethered lens cap.

I'm loking for a smaller, lighter camera (more suitable for travel)
with the picture quality that meets and exceeds the picture quality of
the DC280, has lower lag times, built-in lens cover and a nice movie
mode with good frame rates and unlimited record time with sound.
Recommendations?
I'm thinking about the Kodak LS753, but I'm not sure it meets the
requirement of picture quality that meets or exceeds the DC280. Some
sample photos I saw online that look ok, but didn't seem as sharply
focused as the pics from my DC280.
Old October 26th 04, 10:49 PM
JohnR

Check out the Fuji Finepix A330. It is smaller and delivers a clearer
picture than some 4 MP cameras I compared it to. I had a DC280 that I sold
to my employer years ago. It still works and is now at another office. It
was replaced with a A330. I like the image quality, and simple controls
enough that I got one for myself. Price just dropped to around $150.
John

om...

Old October 27th 04, 12:13 AM
Ron Hunter

TS wrote:
[...]

Many times cameras with more pixels don't appear as sharp as those with
less pixels. However, if you take the time to examine the pictures
carefully, you will see that the reason is because the pixels are so
small that you usually are seeing very few pixel edges, which makes the
image appear less sharp. You will appreciate the extra pixels in the
editing process, however.

I would recommend the DX7440 for your consideration.
Old October 27th 04, 02:47 PM
Robert Barr

TS wrote:

I'm loking for a smaller, lighter camera (more suitable for travel)
with the picture quality that meets and exceeds the picture quality of
the DC280, has lower lag times, built-in lens cover and a nice movie
mode with good frame rates and unlimited record time with sound.
Recommendations?

I'll toss in another vote for the DX7440, at least for models that
warrant an in-depth look. You can find all the facts & figures just
about anywhere, but I'll add: I sold my Canon G3 to buy the DX7440, and
I couldn't be happier.

It has plenty of wizardry, but overall, it just gets the job done, in
just about any situation I can throw at it. It just plain performs.