some of my work

Old October 2nd 03, 04:22 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Default some of my work

See:

http://zd.csimultimedia.com/
Old October 6th 03, 10:40 AM
Michael Quack

In article ,
Michael Scarpitti says...

See:

http://zd.csimultimedia.com/

Father and son:
You cropped fathers foot for no apparent reason.
Aside of that - a simple snapshot. And from the
wrong position. Bend down, if people are below you.

Raffle:
Terrible lighting, and exactly what you complain about for
"zonies". No artistic content in favor of a technical experiment.
Moreso - your statement about TMY shows that you simply don't
master the film and it's agreed tricky development.
And again unmotivated cropping at the bottom.

Old and new buildings / Bay window:
Another one of those technical experiments without any
message or artistic content. Graphical catastrophe with
so many concurrent lines.

Acutance effect:
Yeah, right. Closing in on an image to count grain dots
happens when you already passed by the image content.
Not that there was any content.....

Waffle boy:
The first picture with some impact. Horrible Jpeg artifacts
make it impossible to judge how you coped with the shadow
detail.

Jackie:
You are right, hadn't you told us that the shadow was the
subject, we would have thought that this was a very
unflattering and highly distorted picture of poor Jackie.
But now that we know that this was artistic intent, her
maximum distorted head sure makes sense. Doesn't it?

Jackie Infrared:
Well, the house might have seemed perfect to you, but the
21 mm super wide angle lens does terrible things to poor
Jackie's hips. But hey, artistic intent, huh?

Joann at Stadium Window:
Technically okay, but why does she look like she is puking
out the window? Methinks that cropping the top window bow
was also not the wisest move.

Redhaired Girl:
It's not sub par for the grain, it's sub par for the
almost Asian eyes she's sporting to cope with the direct
sunlight. If that had been dealt with, there would be
time to worry about grain.

Vicki:
Another one with bad shadows in the face and obviously one,
where mastering the zone system could have prevented the
shadows from ending up as such a cloudy lump of darkness
as they are. Man, for bashing "zonies" as you do, you have
all the wrong samples for your statement.

Guitar:
"... is deliberately.." uh-huh. It's not a bug, it's a
feature? Great approach.

Cliff:
I actually like this shot, but the scan looks like the
shadows have no power. You state that you deliberately
lost detail, but you also lost the power in the shadows.
Worse is that also the highlights have very little variation.
At least it is much less than what Tri-X can do.
Disappointing, to say the least.

I'll stop here, because the rest is pretty similar.
You started out with a general bashing of "zonies", but
you also prove that in many cases the technical details
seem to push aside the image contents. If I have to
judge your bashing by the samples you have shown - you
lose big time.

--
Michael Quack

http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm
Old October 6th 03, 02:58 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Michael Quack wrote in message . ..
In article ,
Michael Scarpitti says...

See:

http://zd.csimultimedia.com/

Father and son:
You cropped fathers foot for no apparent reason.
Aside of that - a simple snapshot.

Yes, but a charming one.

And from the
wrong position. Bend down, if people are below you.

I did bend down. I'm 5'4" tall. They were seated.

Raffle:
Terrible lighting, and exactly what you complain about for
"zonies". No artistic content in favor of a technical experiment.

Exactly. You're absolutely right! That was its intent. It was to see
how the film/developer handled this sort of hoorible lighting
situation. I make no artistic claims for this image. It's a test,
plain and simple.

Moreso - your statement about TMY shows that you simply don't
master the film and it's agreed tricky development.

Incorrect. the curve shape of the two film differs substantially. The
same image on TMY wold look different, with higher contrast and
denisty in the highlights than the HP5, and lower contrast in the
shadows.

And again unmotivated cropping at the bottom.

Old and new buildings / Bay window:
Another one of those technical experiments without any
message or artistic content. Graphical catastrophe with
so many concurrent lines.

Test.

Acutance effect:
Yeah, right. Closing in on an image to count grain dots
happens when you already passed by the image content.
Not that there was any content.....

Test.

Waffle boy:
The first picture with some impact. Horrible Jpeg artifacts
make it impossible to judge how you coped with the shadow
detail.

Thanks. The image was made in 1968, with a yashica camera and lens.
Developed in Neofin Red, devloping time recommended by Tetenal was too
long, in my opinion. Neg is dense and grainy. Exposure was a little
under by my standards of today.

Jackie:
You are right, hadn't you told us that the shadow was the
subject, we would have thought that this was a very
unflattering and highly distorted picture of poor Jackie.
But now that we know that this was artistic intent, her
maximum distorted head sure makes sense. Doesn't it?

Yes, it's not a portrait. The distortion adds to the unreal effect and
is intentional.

Jackie Infrared:
Well, the house might have seemed perfect to you, but the
21 mm super wide angle lens does terrible things to poor
Jackie's hips. But hey, artistic intent, huh?

Well, that's the result of such a lens..

Joann at Stadium Window:
Technically okay, but why does she look like she is puking
out the window?

Just looking out the window, but I can see your point..

Methinks that cropping the top window bow
was also not the wisest move.

Maybe. I think I did some from a little farther away, but I chose this
one for some reason..

Redhaired Girl:
It's not sub par for the grain, it's sub par for the
almost Asian eyes she's sporting to cope with the direct
sunlight. If that had been dealt with, there would be
time to worry about grain.

Quick shot.

Vicki:
Another one with bad shadows in the face and obviously one,
where mastering the zone system could have prevented the
shadows from ending up as such a cloudy lump of darkness
as they are. Man, for bashing "zonies" as you do, you have
all the wrong samples for your statement.

Made in autumn 1969 with cheap equipment. Under-exposed.

Guitar:
"... is deliberately.." uh-huh. It's not a bug, it's a
feature? Great approach.

Cliff:
I actually like this shot, but the scan looks like the
shadows have no power.

Made on matte paper. You're very observant.

You state that you deliberately
lost detail, but you also lost the power in the shadows.
Worse is that also the highlights have very little variation.
At least it is much less than what Tri-X can do.
Disappointing, to say the least.

I'd like to reprint it, yes.

I'll stop here, because the rest is pretty similar.
You started out with a general bashing of "zonies", but
you also prove that in many cases the technical details
seem to push aside the image contents. If I have to
judge your bashing by the samples you have shown - you
lose big time.

This is old stuff, technically inferior to my present capabilities (as
shown on the first few shots).
Old October 6th 03, 03:20 PM
Michael Scarpitti

I made another print. See: http://zd.csimultimedia.com/A170.htm

See:

http://zd.csimultimedia.com/

Father and son:
You cropped fathers foot for no apparent reason.

Just missed it, I guess. I'm human!

Aside of that - a simple snapshot. And from the
wrong position. Bend down, if people are below you.

By the way, they were sitiing on the curb, and I did bend down. If I
had gotten any lower, the background (which is bad enough: it's that
green plastic fencing stuff) would have been worse.

Raffle:
Terrible lighting, and exactly what you complain about for
"zonies".

Terrible lighting chosen because that was the most severe test I could
put this film/developer through. No other motivation for taking this
picture.

(Most zonehead work I complain about is too flat, not at all like
this.)

No artistic content in favor of a technical experiment.

That's correct. Guilty as charged. One has to make these tests on
real-life situations.
Old October 14th 03, 12:01 PM
Alexis Neel

[...]

LOL!!!
You peg them all perfectly.

Alexis
www.alexisneel.com
Old October 14th 03, 12:07 PM
Alexis Neel

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote in message . com...
Michael Quack wrote in message . ..
In article ,
Michael Scarpitti says...

I made another print. See:
http://zd.csimultimedia.com/A170.htm

Why? And even then, the background is still burned in poorly,
creating even more distraction with the unevenness of the burn. Upper
left corner still sticks out, and you can see tha photojournalist burn
above their heads.

But whose ever paper you bought at least made a few cents on your
purchase...I'm sure they are thankful.

Alexis
www.alexisneel.com
Old October 14th 03, 05:19 PM
Michael Scarpitti

(Alexis Neel) wrote in message om...
Michael Quack wrote in message . ..
In article ,
Michael Scarpitti says...

LOL!!!
You peg them all perfectly.

Alexis
www.alexisneel.com

Some points:

1. This is not intended to be a 'portfolio', just a sample of odds and
ends. I don't maintain a portfolio, though I may in future.

2. The work presented here was not intended as anything but personal
or for the yearbook. I have preented only because I was asked to do
so.

3. My criticisms of zonehead work are based the fact that despite the
extremely wide possibilities of photopgraphy and subject matter in the
world, zoneheads seem to be obsessed with confining themselves to
rocks and trees, ad nauseam. Mine (though not a true 'portfolio')
represent a wide variety of subject matters and treatments. Those
criticisms stand.
Old October 14th 03, 08:18 PM
Michael Scarpitti

(Alexis Neel) wrote in message . com...
(Michael Scarpitti) wrote in message . com...
Michael Quack wrote in message . ..
In article ,
Michael Scarpitti says...

I made another print. See:
http://zd.csimultimedia.com/A170.htm

Why? And even then, the background is still burned in poorly,
creating even more distraction with the unevenness of the burn. Upper
left corner still sticks out, and you can see tha photojournalist burn
above their heads.

But whose ever paper you bought at least made a few cents on your
purchase...I'm sure they are thankful.

Alexis
www.alexisneel.com

I'm sure, as you note, it can be even better. I did as well as I could
in the limited time I had.
Old October 14th 03, 10:32 PM
Alexis Neel

[...]

That is the biggest bunch of "dreck" I've ever heard. You continually
state your photo's are works of art i.e. waffle boy, and that you are
one of the best printers in the world. Then when confronted with your
"dreck", you then revert to the above statement.

This part: "Mine (though not a true 'portfolio')represent a wide
variety of subject matters and treatments. Those criticisms stand." is
a crock. Your technique and subject matter's are vitrually identical
to each other. One might have more shadows than the other but they in
no way show any range of style, technique, or interest, for that
matter.

You are good for a laugh though...keep it up.

Alexis
www.alexisneel.com