good review on B&W developers (for 400TX et HP5)?

Old January 29th 04, 04:24 PM
otzi

Default good review on B&W developers (for 400TX et HP5)?

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message It would be a

challenge
. So you're saying that you took 5
developers and optimized your processing of TMX for each developer and

*** well, without necessarily succeeding. I 'tried' to optimize it - and

it
did improve my ability to see small differences in supposedly identical
prints - do I get one attaboy for that?***

then printed the same subject photographed under the same lighting and
printed on the same enlarger using the same paper and developer ? Wow
! That would be boring !

'Boring', is not exactly the word my therapist uses - how ever, he says
there will be hope for me, after a hundred, or so, shock treatments...
denny

pssst: burn this message after reading so that no one else sees it...

Emmanuel,-- Was HC 110 ever in the running for your test. If not could
you tell us your subjective reasoning for this. Is it too much the same? --
otzi

Old January 29th 04, 06:06 PM
E Colar

Emmanuel,-- Was HC 110 ever in the running for your test. If not could
you tell us your subjective reasoning for this. Is it too much the

same? --
otzi

So far, my experience is limited to TMAX and HC110. I am mostly using Ilford
HP5 and Kodak 400TX, sometime pushing up to 1600 ASA (because of poor light
conditions).

Obviously, HP5 has much more grain than 400TX, but this is a kind of grain
which I love for some situations. On the other hand, I love 400TX wide grey
scale. Both have a nice exposure tolerance.

My feeling is that developing both films with TMAX was much too contrasted
to my taste, while 400TX offers a much finer picture. I am not sure so far
about accutance (may be someone could comment?).

I am using HC110 at 1+19 (i.e. twice less concentrated than the 1+9
recommended dilution), adapting the time accordingly (i.e. 2x). I try to use
lower temperature (i.e. 17-18 C) and I like the results.

Meanwile, I have read many comments on Rodinal, stating is gives a superior
image quality especially when the picture has to be significantly enlarged.
So I am trying to find out whether it would be worth trying Rodinal (which
I should perhaps do instead of asking for advices?!).

Any comment much welcome, especially from those having used HC110 and
Rodinal with these films.

Thanks,
Emmanuel