Lightroom Classic CC problem

Old February 7th 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Lightroom Classic CC problem

On 2/6/2018 9:13 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote

| I hate to be the ignorant Apple user in the room, but what is this Task
| Manager of which you talk?

It's not really a manager. It's a system applet designed
to be unaffected by software running at "user" level.
It can be invoked to see how much RAM is in use, CPU
usage, and to see a list of running processes, along
with their memory usage.

For general usage, Process Monitor from Sysinternals
is much better. It provides more info, including a list
of loaded libraries for each process. But TaskMon, as
it's often called, can be handy for killing a frozen program.

Yep. It hand frozen programs well. And to think Bill Gates originally
did not want it included in the O/S.

--
PeterN
Old February 7th 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/6/2018 10:48 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
|
| A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
| Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
| available.

You might find something out if there's a button
for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
then that might tell you something.

What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
is making it look like they've got everything under
control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
you think there's an army of people in lab coats
standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
your own good.

So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
for false information. There are a lot of people who
stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)

But you also have to remember that you really
shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
decides to zap you with their next test version that
corporate customers don't have to put up with.

That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
need to be carefully tested over time for
compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
even those tested updates were tested for months
or years *before* the IT people got them. A
Windows version or service pack was
created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
in version after version.... Only after months or
even years of that was the final version released for
IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
works that way. You're getting largely untested
updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
when the mood hits them.

With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
without getting paid for your trouble.

But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
keep forcing me to change settings.

--
PeterN
Old February 7th 18, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/6/2018 11:21 AM, android wrote:

snip

True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
without getting paid? If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
updates at their convenience.

I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
they have no issues with Win 10.

* But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

Windows?

--
PeterN
Old February 7th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
keep forcing me to change settings.

which ones?

although updates are way too frequent, your settings shouldn't be
changing.
Old February 7th 18, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PeterN" wrote

| I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
| they have no issues with Win 10.

I guess it depends on what you do and what you
expect. Some people probably think every time
they get interrupted for updates it means pure
goodness is flowing into their computer.

I saw something yesterday about shutting off
uncontrolled updates and spyware. It was a
complicated series of PowerShell incantations,
but all it actually did was to disable the Windows
Update service. (Much easier to accomplish through
the services applet, but I guess that doesn't justify
an article. Numerous obscure incantations makes
it sound fancy.)

I don't know whether that actually works. I would
think Windows would go around it, or eventually
throw a tantrum, demanding to call home. But if
I had Win10 I'd try it. As it is, I always do that
on WinXP and Win7 anyway. I just installs SPs.
And I installed the "wrapup" for Win7. But I don't
allow any willy nilly dripfeed.

Old February 7th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:57:03 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/5/2018 10:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
something like:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available.

As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
problem or have other people also experienced it?

W10 of course.

Call Adobe support. it comes with the package. The last time i had an
issue, I I used them, and they remotely found and fixed the problem.

I'm now doing that but haven't got to the remote connection as yet.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On 2/5/2018 10:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
something like:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available.

As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
problem or have other people also experienced it?

W10 of course.

Call Adobe support. it comes with the package. The last time i had an
issue, I I used them, and they remotely found and fixed the problem.

Preliminary discussions suggest they want me to file a Crash Report.
This should happen automatically. As far as I can tell Crash Reporter
is not working (known problem) and I have not yet found sensible
advice about getting it working. No, I haven't turned it off. Nor have
I found a setting where I can turn it on or off, although there is
supposed to be one.

I've fallen in the sea and somebody has stolen my life belt. :-(

Hopefully someone from Adobe will respond.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 18, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/7/2018 4:32 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
keep forcing me to change settings.

which ones?

although updates are way too frequent, your settings shouldn't be
changing.

Win 10 Pro. J agree with you. I will take it in to the Windows store
when I feel like it.

--
PeterN
Old February 8th 18, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/7/2018 5:05 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| I have issues with Win 10 Pro, on my laptop. Yet some of my friends say
| they have no issues with Win 10.

I guess it depends on what you do and what you
expect. Some people probably think every time
they get interrupted for updates it means pure
goodness is flowing into their computer.

I saw something yesterday about shutting off
uncontrolled updates and spyware. It was a
complicated series of PowerShell incantations,
but all it actually did was to disable the Windows
Update service. (Much easier to accomplish through
the services applet, but I guess that doesn't justify
an article. Numerous obscure incantations makes
it sound fancy.)

I don't know whether that actually works. I would
think Windows would go around it, or eventually
throw a tantrum, demanding to call home. But if
I had Win10 I'd try it. As it is, I always do that
on WinXP and Win7 anyway. I just installs SPs.
And I installed the "wrapup" for Win7. But I don't
allow any willy nilly dripfeed.

I have had few issues with Win7. I have had password issues with the
Chrome browser, when I change passwords.

--
PeterN
Old February 8th 18, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

One trick I have used is deleting the preference file. When you start it
again it will create the default preference file.
I found this on the web:
Now just hold Shift-Option (on Windows it's Shift-Alt thanks Rob Sylvan)
and restart Lightroom. Keep holding them down and the dialog below will
appear. Click “Reset Preferences” and it installs a factory fresh set of
preferences for you, and the problems you were having right along with it.
hth

--
PeterN