Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

Old October 15th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Jeanette Guire

Default Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch molded as
a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera body. The fix
has been described in various ways by various users in other threads. The
fix isn't the point of this thread.

DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/

DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ix3100-review/

STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...nikon3100.html

The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could the
reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have totally missed
the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a brick due to the obvious
poor engineering that wasn't visible to the consumer but which should have
been wholly obvious to the "professional" camera reviewer?

Is it that the reviewers a
- Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
- Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
- Clueless?
- ??? or ???
Old October 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Eric[_3_]

I'm curious what this has to do with home repair?

"Jeanette Guire" wrote in message et...
I'm curious why...

Old October 15th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Charles

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:09:24 -0400, "Eric"
wrote:

I'm curious what this has to do with home repair?

"Jeanette Guire" wrote in message et...
I'm curious why...

You have to repair the camera when you get it home.
Old October 15th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Brendan Gillatt[_2_]

Old October 15th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Jeanette Guire wrote:
I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a
very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera
body. The fix has been described in various ways by various users in
other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

You came to the right place with your concerns.

Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
unaimously recommend:

Duct tape.

Hope this helps.

Old October 15th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy[_2_]

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Jeanette Guire wrote:
I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a
very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera
body. The fix has been described in various ways by various users in
other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

You came to the right place with your concerns.

Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
unaimously recommend:

Duct tape.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely listen to this recommendation. This guy knows his **** big
time.

You must have heard the famous saying, "When someone says Duct Tape,
people listen."
Old October 15th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
RickH

On Oct 15, 9:45 am, Jeanette Guire
wrote:
[...]

I guess the Nikon name just doesn't carry the same weight it once did,
if its cameras are associated with China manufacturing then they've
just sold that venerable good name down the river, it's mudd now.

Old October 15th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
John McWilliams

Al Bundy wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Jeanette Guire wrote:
I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a
very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera
body. The fix has been described in various ways by various users in
other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

You came to the right place with your concerns.

Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
unaimously recommend:

Duct tape.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely listen to this recommendation. This guy knows his **** big
time.

You must have heard the famous saying, "When someone says Duct Tape,
people listen."

Darn tootin'! Nothing says "I love you" more than a
fresh-off-the-production-line full roll of silver duct tape. But most
people ask for "Duck Tape". Quack, quack!

--
fu set.

John McWilliams
Old October 15th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
flambe

These kinds of small issues that plague consumers are rarely considered in
reviews. While some of these design flaws may be significant they just don't
come up in reviews that are focused solely on image quality.
Even more to the point is the suspicion that reviewers get cherry picked
cameras/lenses that are not of the build quality that the consume can
expect. How else to explain the frequent discrepancy between lens reviews
and what users actually experience?
I'm looking at the rubberized side caps over the electonic ports in my D80
and wonder how long they would last if frequently used.

Old October 15th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dave[_16_]

"HeyBub" wrote in message
your concerns.

Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
unaimously recommend:

Duct tape.

Hope this helps.

Or rubber bands. Larger applications can use bungee cords. Packing tape
will do in a pinch if you're short on duct tape, but must be supplemented
with twine.

You could have dragged your lazy ass into a store and looked at the camera
yourself. Probably would've taken less time overall than all your whining.
Did it ever occur to you that if you buy a cheap camera at the low end of
the model scale such as CoolPix, you just might get a friggin' piece of
trash? Did it never occur to you that virtually all consumer-grade
electronics have become completely disposable? Or that Nikon has a vested
interest in ensuring that that camera you just bought DOESN'T last 20 years?

Suck it up and admit to yourself that it was your own damned fault.

Or get a small dog to kick. But whatever you do, do it someplace else.