Working with RAW

Old August 18th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

Default Working with RAW

"John Bean" wrote in message

It does, and should open D70 (but not D70s I think) files
with the last release of ACR (2.4) that works with CS. I
deliberately mentioned only versions of PS and PSE that can
use the latest version of ACR (3.4).

If you want to get a raw file into CS that is too new for ACR 2.4, then get
the DNG convertor 3.4 with ACR. Use the 3.4 standalone RAW to DNG convertor
to convert the raw file to DNG and then open the DNG file in PS CS with
ACR2.4

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photos...ra_Raw_3_4.zip

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photos...ra_Raw_2_4.zip

Old August 18th 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Avery

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:15:39 +1200, "C J Southern"
wrote:

"John Bean" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:20:15 GMT, "Iceberg Concept, Inc."
wrote:
Can anyone help with what the settings should be to get an image?

Gordon, PS7 doesn't open *camera* raw files, the "raw" you
see using "open as" is intended to open some otherwise
unidentifiable files created by mainly obsolete software.

To open camera raw files you need Elements 3 or 4, or
Photoshop CS2. These use the "Adobe Camera Raw" (ACR)
plug-in which can open and adjust your D70 files.
Alternatively you could use a free converter like Rawshooter
Essentials to process your D70 NEF file into a TIF or JPG to
open with PS7.

Out of interest, if the OP was to use the Adobe DNG converter to convert his
raw files to DNG (doh!) - what's the earliest version of PS that supports
DNG?

CS2 (Ver 9) I think....
Old August 18th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

"Avery" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:15:39 +1200, "C J Southern"
Out of interest, if the OP was to use the Adobe DNG converter to convert
his
raw files to DNG (doh!) - what's the earliest version of PS that supports
DNG?

CS2 (Ver 9) I think....

Nope. You can use CS with ACR 2.4 to open DNG files from ACR (and DNG
converter) 3.4 (and earlier). ACR versions before 2.4 don't open the latest
DNG version and CS (ver 8) can only use up to 2.4.

This leads to the ability to work with RAW files from newer cameras by first
converting the RAW to DNG with Adobe DNG converter 3.4 and then opening the
DNG file with ACR 2.4 in Photoshop CS.

Old August 18th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
William LaMartin

I have a Nikon D100, so the cameraraw plug-in for Photoshop CS is fine for
that. What I am wondering is if I will have to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 if
I purchase a Nikon D200 and want to use Raw files from that camera with
Photoshop. I really want to wait until the next version of Photoshop before
upgrading.

"John Bean" wrote in message

Photoshop CS also opens raw files.

--
John Bean

Old August 18th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joan

Have you installed the latest version of ACR?

--
Joan

"William LaMartin" wrote in message
:I have a Nikon D100, so the cameraraw plug-in for Photoshop CS is
fine for
: that. What I am wondering is if I will have to upgrade to Photoshop
CS2 if
: I purchase a Nikon D200 and want to use Raw files from that camera
with
: Photoshop. I really want to wait until the next version of
Photoshop before
: upgrading.
:
: ...
: wrote:
:
: Photoshop CS also opens raw files.
:
: It does, and should open D70 (but not D70s I think) files
: with the last release of ACR (2.4) that works with CS. I
: deliberately mentioned only versions of PS and PSE that can
: use the latest version of ACR (3.4).
:
:
: --
: John Bean
:
:

Old August 18th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Warren

William LaMartin wrote:

I have a Nikon D100, so the cameraraw plug-in for Photoshop CS is
fine for that. What I am wondering is if I will have to upgrade to
Photoshop CS2 if I purchase a Nikon D200 and want to use Raw files
from that camera with Photoshop.

If you want to use ACR, yes. It will be possible to use the basic
plug-in that comes with Nikon View to load the NEFs but you will only
get a couple of RAW adjustments.

-Mike

Old August 18th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
William LaMartin

I am a bit unsure of what you are saying.

Are you saying that if I purchase a Nikon D100, I will also receive a copy
of Nikon View that contains a plug-in for Photoshop that will work for
Photoshop CS?

Old August 18th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
William LaMartin

I have installed the latest plug-in from the Adobe site for ACR for
Photoshop CS--NOT Photoshop CS2. This is version 2.4

There was no mention of a Nikon D200 in the cameras added to those included
in earlier versions. Hence, my question about needing Photoshop CS2 to be
able to handle the RAW files from the D200.

"Joan" wrote in message
Have you installed the latest version of ACR?

--
Joan

"William LaMartin" wrote in message
:I have a Nikon D100, so the cameraraw plug-in for Photoshop CS is
fine for
: that. What I am wondering is if I will have to upgrade to Photoshop
CS2 if
: I purchase a Nikon D200 and want to use Raw files from that camera
with
: Photoshop. I really want to wait until the next version of
Photoshop before
: upgrading.
:
: ...
:

Old August 18th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Warren

William LaMartin wrote:

I am a bit unsure of what you are saying.

Are you saying that if I purchase a Nikon D100, I will also receive a
copy of Nikon View that contains a plug-in for Photoshop that will
work for Photoshop CS?

I assume you meant D200 there?

Nikon View is a free download. When you install it and you have PS on
your system it puts 2 plug-ins in the PS/plug-ins folder. One of these
allows PS to recognise NEFs without ACR.

The problem with CS is that the latest version of ACR which works on it
is 2.4. Of course this doesn't recognise any of the newer camera
formats.

-Mike

Old August 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Barry Pearson

William LaMartin wrote:
I have a Nikon D100, so the cameraraw plug-in for Photoshop CS is fine for
that. What I am wondering is if I will have to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 if
I purchase a Nikon D200 and want to use Raw files from that camera with
Photoshop. I really want to wait until the next version of Photoshop before
upgrading.

[snip]

See all posts from John Bean and "default".

CS with ACR 2.4 supports the same set of cameras that CS2 with ACR 3.4
supports. For recent cameras it is necessary to use the DNG route. But
no one is forced to upgrade because their camera is a new one.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/