decent long zoom lens min foc 3ft is there one ?

Old May 17th 05, 11:44 AM

Default decent long zoom lens min foc 3ft is there one ?

I photograph, apart from airshows, very well made outstanding scale
models at shows, I am stuck for a lens after the move to digital SLR. I
used for 35mm film an 80-210 Tamron which focused to just under 3ft,
just the job for smaller models and close ups as 3ft is table top to my
eye at 45 degrees. Now I cannot get a decent lens less than 1.2mtrs
(4ft) and that means a step ladder or stand back and not get a shot
down anymore. No use at all. 2ft to subject is closest I want to get
as hotshoe flash fires over top otherwise, and ring flash doesnt give
realistic shadows on aircraft.

Any suggestions for lenses please as struggling and dont want to revert
to 35mm due to this gaping hole in lens range available. Desperate to
find a 3ft zoom beyond 40mm. see lenses tried below.

Any help most welcome .
Envirographics

Those tried so far:-

105mm macro, ok for 9cm subjects (many) through to 5cm (close ups and
figures) at 17 inches away ( closest for flash use) but having to lean
over table is fraught with danger given other subjects near you. Then
something 27cm (10inch) wide is too big, but 17-40 at 40 means 15
inches and too close. Missing my zoom lens here for the variety of
situations. Tamron 90mm will bring me a little closer by 3 to 4 inches
perhaps but then causes problems for the 5cm subjects.

Tried the Tamron 18-200 by the way as it does 1.48ft but its dull and
grainy at 200mm (f6.3), I cannot see to focus properly and manual focus
is often necessary for dof etc. I need only to go beyond 40mm to 200mm,
that 18 -200 range is too much for good optics despite Tamrons new
approach and the lens exhibits artefacts at f22 and is softer than I
would like. Its also sharp as the Canon 70-200L at f8 in most parts so
feather in cap there, it also distorts graph paper more so than I would
like, i.e. dimensionally inaccurate and I need minimal distortion for
technical work with the lens.

Canon 70-200 f4 gorgeous sharp and no abberations, but 4ft and
impractical. Tried tubes but you cannot then focus compose and shoot,
compose throws focus and you tail chase, ended up at 4ft 200mm for
something that was 4ft 80mm from memory !