Rodinal

Old March 23rd 04, 12:11 AM
jjs

Default Rodinal

Keep in mind that some plastics admit oxygen through the plastic (some by
design, the rest by accident), and thus are not good for storing
chemicals.
Old March 23rd 04, 05:18 AM
Patrick Gainer

nicholas wrote:

Hektor Gonzal wrote:
Hi all,

Rodinal is not available in Turkey. I believe it is because in part Agfa's
low profile marketing strategy. Anyway, I read a lot about Rodinal and
decided to try it. I bought some rodinal in the U.S and am ready to give it
a shot. It is half a liter bottle of Rodinal. I was hoping that it has a
long shelf life like the T-Max developer I mainly use and bought the larger
bottle. T-Max developer has a shelf life of 2 years in proper conditions. As
I do not develop not more than 1-2 rolls of film in a week, shelf life is
important to me.

Seen this?
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=004r8U
I know alot of you might have, here it is just in case it provides some
use...

Nobody answered Dan's question about using p-aminophenol HCL with
carbonate. I have seen recipes for such. You will not be able to get a
concentrated stock solution, though. This one is in the War Department
Technical Manual of Photography, listed as a tropical developer (1941
edition);
Water 96 ounces.
p-aminophenol.HCl 400 grains
sodium sulfite 6 ounces, 290 grains
sodium carbonate (anh) 6 ounces, 290 grains
Water to 1 gallon.

Use full strength 7 to 9 minutes in tray at 65 F, 3 to 4 minutes at 80
F.

Tese times were, of course for 1940 films.
Old March 23rd 04, 09:47 AM
muchan

jjs wrote:

Keep in mind that some plastics admit oxygen through the plastic (some by
design, the rest by accident), and thus are not good for storing
chemicals.

but if you put strong alkali into glass bottle, it will resolve the inner
wall. So Rodinal should be kept in a plastic bottle, like it comes from Agfa.

muchan

Old March 23rd 04, 02:48 PM
Jorge Omar

And what about the brown glass bottles they used to at least the middle
70's?

Jorge

muchan wrote in
:

Old March 23rd 04, 03:46 PM
jjs

Default Nix Glass Rodinal? (was Rodinal)

In article , muchan
wrote:

[...] if you put strong alkali into glass bottle, it will resolve the inner
wall. So Rodinal should be kept in a plastic bottle, like it comes from Agfa.

I'm sure others want to know:
Keeping Rodinal concentrate in a glass bottle is a Bad Thing?

[] true
[] false
Old March 23rd 04, 03:46 PM
muchan

Jorge Omar wrote:

Keep in mind that some plastics admit oxygen through the plastic
(some by design, the rest by accident), and thus are not good for
storing chemicals.

but if you put strong alkali into glass bottle, it will resolve the
inner wall. So Rodinal should be kept in a plastic bottle, like it
comes from Agfa.

muchan

And what about the brown glass bottles they used to at least the middle
70's?

Jorge

I don't know..
maybe there wasn't better container than glass at that time, or
maybe the glass etching effect of Rodinal doesn't affect the developement,
or maybe Rodinal isn't so strong alkali as I thought.

I know that Rodinal contain a lot of KOH, and it's chosen over NaOH for
higher concentration, so I assumed it must be very high pH.
Do you know its pH?

muchan (ignoramus sum)

Old March 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Jorge Omar

Rodinal is an interesting dev.
First, the exact formula is not known, and changes made during it's long
life are not known, also.
But from the public formula, the KOH (or NaOH) is partially neutralized by
a lot of potasium metabissulfite so pH is not as high as it may seem.

Do a search in Google GROUPS (not plain google) for "Gudzinowicz Rodinal
Formula" without the quotes and you will find a very interesting article
(by a PhD in chemistry...)

Jorge

muchan wrote in
:

Old March 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"muchan" wrote

[Why doesn't Rodinal etch glass?]

I don't know..
... the [concentration of KOH] in Rodinal.
muchan (ignoramus sum)

1) It is a 3% solution of KOH - it says so on the label.

It has to be hot and concentrated to do a decent job of
etching glass.

Plastic is preferred for transporting nasty stuff as it
won't break when the bottle (or the box the bottle is in)
is dropped. And the bottle is _always_ dropped.

FWIW: Pure water will etch glass -

http://home.t-online.de/home/Bernhar...r/fraud-01.htm

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old March 23rd 04, 09:46 PM
jjs

So, can we store Rodinal in brown glass bottles?