Differences in sensor "quality"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 13th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Differences in sensor "quality"

Back in the day, photographers would extol (or decry) the virtues (or vices)
of the various films on the market. In reading the posts here, I haven't
noticed any discussion about the subjective quality of the various sensors
in the various cameras out there. I suppose I'm really thinking about color
rendition.

Before digital, what film you chose was important and could be quite the
topic of discussion. Now it seems that people are more concerned with card
compatibilitiy than color quality. In a recent thread several posters said
they wanted to use the same card in different cameras - but I've not noticed
discussion about which sensor gives a more pleasing rendition. I can still
remember the time when you carried an extra camera JUST to have a different
film with you!

Has this been discussed and I've just missed it? or does modern electronic
white-balancing mean that color rendition issues are no longer a concern?

Steve