Red in Panasonic FZ50 warning..

Old July 26th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

Default Red in Panasonic FZ50 warning..

Hi,

I just returned my FZ50 to the store (Pixmania) because I found out that:
the advertised 1/2000 speed ONLY works at F8 or higher, so it is pitch dark,
very usefull!
Also the 12x zoomlens is a problem. Focusing is very poor and so is picture
quality, except for things closer then 25 yards.
But the real pain is red. Try to take a macro picture of a red flower in
sunlight. Even in shade! It becomes one dirty red spot. In one picture the
red even ran into the yellow flowers next to it...
Like a water clor painting and then throw water on it. Same kind of detail.

I took a look at other cameraīs and some are less, but most seem to have at
least a little problem with it.
Oh and the skies are also horrible; hardly detailed. Neither can it focus on
a cloud (can others?).
To my surprise it seems only Fuji is capable of catching red without it
taking over the entire picture.

Old July 26th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

Sosumi wrote:
[...]

If you at this page, at the Cons, you will see warnings about almost
everything you found.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...z50/page19.asp

You might have had a bit more luck with reds if you shot in raw mode,
but it sounds like that camera really does not like the color red.

Scott
Old July 27th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Sheehy

Scott W wrote in news:46a8ee7c$0$32544
:

You might have had a bit more luck with reds if you shot in raw mode,

I would never shoot JPEG with my FZ50 unless I needed burst capability.

If the camera were JPEG-only, I never would have bought it or would have
returned it immediately.

Panasonic does not know how to write a quality JPEG.

The RAW data from the FZ50 is about as good as one can expect from a 1/1.8
10MP sensor with current tech.

--

John P Sheehy

Old July 27th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

"John Sheehy" wrote in message
Scott W wrote in news:46a8ee7c$0$32544
:

You might have had a bit more luck with reds if you shot in raw mode,

I would never shoot JPEG with my FZ50 unless I needed burst capability.

If the camera were JPEG-only, I never would have bought it or would have
returned it immediately.

Panasonic does not know how to write a quality JPEG.

The RAW data from the FZ50 is about as good as one can expect from a 1/1.8
10MP sensor with current tech.

Well, not good enough for me. Matter of fact: I did shoot a lot in RAW,
especially the photos with red, but they are horrible. The red just bleeds
in the yellow flowers like a watercolor painting after throwing some water
on it...
No software can get it out. I guess you canīt polish a turd ;-))

Anyway I returned my Panasonic to the store. Anyone need some new
batteries???

Old July 27th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Sosumi wrote:
[]
Well, not good enough for me. Matter of fact: I did shoot a lot in
RAW, especially the photos with red, but they are horrible. The red
just bleeds in the yellow flowers like a watercolor painting after
throwing some water on it...
No software can get it out. I guess you canīt polish a turd ;-))

You may find with some subjects - flowers are one example - that the
spectrum emitted exceeds the range perceived by our eyes. If the camera
has a spectral response in excess of that of the eye, the resulting
colours will not match what you expect. I have seen this effect on deep
blue/violet flowers, and some dyed fabrics. The fact that many people are
happy with the colour response of their FZ50 shows that your subjects may
be particularly susceptible to the "red" problem. I suggest you try out a
few other cameras on a wide variety of coloured subjects and see which
produce the best compromise for you.

There are many issues with colour, such as the colour space used for image
capture (RGB, Adobe), the display gamut, and how the colour
(mis-)management is set on your PC or Mac, but I expect you've already
been through all that!

Cheers,
David

Old July 27th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Sheehy

"Sosumi" wrote in
:

Well, not good enough for me. Matter of fact: I did shoot a lot in
RAW, especially the photos with red, but they are horrible. The red
just bleeds in the yellow flowers like a watercolor painting after
throwing some water on it...

No software can get it out. I guess you canīt polish a turd ;-))

What converter are you using?

Link to a RAW, and I will see what is actually happening.

Anyway I returned my Panasonic to the store. Anyone need some new
batteries???

No. I have two batteries, and each one lasts multiple days.

--

John P Sheehy