Seal Dry Mounting Press Jumbo 150 Question

Old July 21st 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Sam Avampato

Default Seal Dry Mounting Press Jumbo 150 Question

I have purchased a used model Jumbo 150 and it has some remaining
adhesive ( I assume ) on the heating press platen. Any suggestion on
how to remove the residue?

Thanks in advance..

Sam

Old July 21st 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Sam Avampato" wrote in message
I have purchased a used model Jumbo 150 and it has some
remaining
adhesive ( I assume ) on the heating press platen. Any
suggestion on
how to remove the residue?

Thanks in advance..

Sam

Seal presses are made by both Bienfang and Light
Impressions. Bienfang has platen cleaner listed with press
accessories at:

http://www.forframersonly.com/products.asp?ID=1&C=1

I am pretty sure that Light Impressions has similar stuff
but couldn't find it on their on line catalogue.
Both companies sell presses, mounting tissue, and
accessories.
Light Impressions is at:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 22nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Sam Avampato

Thank you for your information. I think I will try the Bienfang/Seal Platen
Cleaner.
The Operating Manual suggests toluol or a lacquer thinner. Thinner would be
the
least expensive but I wondered about using it on a hot surface since the
instructions
said to heat up the platen to about 225 degres, unplug, then clean the
surface.

Sam Avampato

nk.net...

Old July 22nd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Sam Avampato" wrote

The Operating Manual suggests toluol or a lacquer thinner.
Thinner would be the least expensive but I wondered about using it on a
hot surface since the instructions
said to heat up the platen to about 225 degres, unplug, then clean the
surface.

Lacquer thinner is usually an adhoc mix of whatever the refinery
had too much of on the day of manufacture. If applied to
something very warm the volatile solvents will evaporate
almost instantly leaving something like kerosene.

The usual cautions are 'don't apply to hot surfaces', explosive
vapors, harmful vapors ... vapors are a very powerful laxative.

If you are going to do this anyway do it outside on a
windy day.

Old July 22nd 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:25:50 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

The usual cautions are 'don't apply to hot surfaces', explosive
vapors, harmful vapors ... vapors are a very powerful laxative.

First you smell it then you do it ?

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster