dirty sensor

Old September 6th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jon

Default dirty sensor

Does'nt anybody here ever get dirt on their sensor? Or is it that you are
all using compacts? I just don't see anybody talking about dirt on
sensors which to me is such an issuie that I sometimes feel tempted to go
back to film..

Anyway, my Nikon D80 has about 20 spots visible at f6.3 when shooting
against a totally blue sky. I don't know exactly what they are but they
appeared when I was doing some shooting in woodlands in the Alps. Trying
to blow them off the sensor is futile and vacuming them of does'nt work
either. Trying to wash them off with the Green Clean system is an expensive
waste of swabs. I think these spots might have some kind of liquid in
them as they started off as very sharp precise spots and 4 weeks later
seem less sharp, bigger and more diffuse, as if something in them is
creeping ou out along the surface of the sensor..

Jessops advertise a sensor cleaning service for £50, I'm wondering just how
much cleaner they are going to get my sensor. I', thinking that £50 for the
Green Clean and £50 to Jessops is starting to get close to a replacement
sensor!

Old September 7th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adrian Boliston

"jon" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know what is in the "green clean" solution, but it might be worth
trying some "eclipse" fluid which is a pure type of alchohol on a sensor
swab or pec pad. There is no way I would pay someone to clean my sensor,
certainly not £50 !! The dust must be quite bad to be noticable at such a
large aperture. I can see a couple of tiny specs at f22, but I usually wait
for larger bits of dust before I bother swabbing or rocket-blowing.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old September 7th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AK

Everyone gets dirt on their sensors, but not everyone talks about it!

I have a D70. I tried blowing the dirt off, which works with some mild
cases, but eventually had to bite the bullet and clean the sensor. I used a
sensor swab from Photographic Solutions, with Eclipse E2. It got rid of the
spots, but it is a bit nervewracking to do it. It took me a couple of tries
to get it right. This is not cheap, either - I paid $48 for a package of
about 15 or so swabs - I haven't counted, and $8.75 for a bottle of the
Eclipse E2. Apparently there are different cleaning solutions for different
sensors.

I must admot that although I got rid of the spots, I feel that if I really
inspect a blank image closely (e.g., shoot a white piece of paper out of
focus), I can see smear marks.

When I change lenses, I have the new lens ready with the rear cap off, hold
the camera with the body opening pointing down, and quicky swap lenses. If
I'm somewhere dusty, I don't change lenses.

Rgds

Alan

Old September 7th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

jon wrote:
Does'nt anybody here ever get dirt on their sensor? Or is it that you are
all using compacts? I just don't see anybody talking about dirt on
sensors which to me is such an issuie that I sometimes feel tempted to go
back to film..

see:

Changing Lenses on DSLR Cameras to Minimize Dust Contamination
http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo...hanging.lenses

Roger
Old September 7th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

"jon" wrote in message

[...]

The simplest way is to first use a blower--something like a rocket
blower. If that doesn't get all the spots off, THEN go to a brush. I
now use an Arctic Butterfly 724, but I used to use a nylon make-up
brush. If you choose the latter, wash it several times and rinse in
distilled water. Dry in a dust free room (as close as possible,
anyway). Then take a can of air and spray through the bristles to
charge them, brush the sensor, and check. I've found that for my once
a month or so cleaning needs, I'm covered without breaking out the
liquid. If I have to use liquid, I prefer the VDust liquid, which
seems to me to clear more quickly than Eclipse (which works plenty
well).

If there are still smears present, you haven't quite gotten the sensor
clean. Clean again.

Old September 8th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

On 2007-09-06 18:46:31 -0400, "jon" said:

[...]

Some of the cleaning kits may work.. I am not prepared to damage my
sensor.. I have a pro clean mine.. expensive, but much cheaper than
replacing the low pss filter and the sensor. The low pass filter
builds up an electostatic charge and attracts dust... hence the reason
it so difficult to remove.

--
Jim

Old September 9th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

On 2007-09-06 18:46:31 -0400, "jon" said:

[...]

Actually, sensor dust is quite easy to remove. If you haven't tried
doing it, don't evaluate the process.