Is Amazon ok to use for buying a camera?

Old July 31st 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Default Is Amazon ok to use for buying a camera?

Phisherman wrote:
I have bought lots of stuff on Amazon with positive experiences, but I
have not bought a camera there. I'm guessing that Amazon will provide
you with some security, but it is a good idea to check the vendor.
There are LOTS of shady camera shops.

Why are there lots, I wonder. Is it just a US phenomenon, or world-wide?
I don't hear about it as much in the UK or Europe.

David

Old August 2nd 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D.M. Procida

David J Taylor
wrote:

I have bought lots of stuff on Amazon with positive experiences, but I
have not bought a camera there. I'm guessing that Amazon will provide
you with some security, but it is a good idea to check the vendor.
There are LOTS of shady camera shops.

Why are there lots, I wonder. Is it just a US phenomenon, or world-wide?
I don't hear about it as much in the UK or Europe.

I've never heard complaint of it here.

Daniele
Old August 3rd 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Jul 31, 12:26 am, C J Campbell
wrote:
Amazon uses other resellers like B&H or Adorama. You might as well
order from them.

But often the deal is via Amazon via them. Sometimes I wish I didn't
live in NY so the Adorama & B & H Amazon deals made sense. (Then
again I can actually GO there.. .: )

Old August 8th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Luck

David J Taylor wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I have bought lots of stuff on Amazon with positive experiences,
but I have not bought a camera there. I'm guessing that Amazon
will provide you with some security, but it is a good idea to check
the vendor. There are LOTS of shady camera shops.

Why are there lots, I wonder. Is it just a US phenomenon, or
world-wide? I don't hear about it as much in the UK or Europe.

David

It isn't that we don't have scallywags and crooks here (UK) but we do
have a relatively effective Trading Standards system, something the US
appear to want for.

Chris Luck

Old August 8th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Sieving

On Aug 7, 9:58 pm, "PCs Rule" wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:06:25 -0700, wrote:

I just had an Amazon experience.

I ordered a couple camcorder batteries for an old camcorder someone
wants to take on a trip. I asked for expedited shipping.

Yesterday morning I received a package with only one battery. I sent
Amazon an email telling them that, and they said they would dispatch
another one. Then yesterday evening I received the second battery I
had ordered. I sent a note to Amazon to cancel the replacement order,
they told me it was too late. This morning I received the third
battery.

So, I'd say their paperwork is a bit messed up, but they went WAY out
of their way to help me get what I want.

Amazon seems to be a place where I end up shopping quite frequently,
they carry a lot of stuff, or have arrangements with other people who
do, their prices are usually good, and, from this incident, I'd say
their customer service is quite good as well.

Look out if you use their free shipping. They add an extra 1-2 weeks before
they even process the order.

I haven't had that problem ordering books. Ocassionally, after I've
placed an order I'll see that the shipping date is a ways off, but
when I go back and check the item description I see that was
mentioned; I just missed it. It's easy to cancel the order if you
don't want to wait.

Old August 8th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:58:12 -0500, "PCs Rule"
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I just got my camera from them yesterday, ordered on Thursday with
free shipping. They stated as you indicated that it would be about 10
business days, but it came in four. So free shipping and no tax,
plus speedy shipping, great job.
Old August 8th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

PCs Rule wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

My experience says the free shipping is often as quick as the paid-for
variety. I think they don't adjust the processing date based solely on
shipping choice. Delayed shipping is most likely determined by other
factors, several of which may line up along with shipping choice to
result in long delays.

--
Frank ess