Which one of these?

Old January 31st 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
QUAKEnSHAKE

Default Which one of these?

Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks

Photo Explosion V3 for $20
http://www.novadevelopment.com/Produ...w/default.aspx
OR
Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=341419

I own just a Canon SD800IS
Thank You
Ray

Old January 31st 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dmgy

On 1ÔÂ31ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç11ʱ51·Ö, (QUAKEnSHAKE) wrote:
Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks

Photo Explosion V3 for $20http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/prw/default.aspx
OR
Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341419

I own just a Canon SD800IS
Thank You
Ray

okok

Old January 31st 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:51:02 -0600, QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks

Photo Explosion V3 for $20
http://www.novadevelopment.com/Produ...w/default.aspx
OR
Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=341419

I own just a Canon SD800IS
Thank You
Ray

How about GIMP for free? Seems to me it would be worth trying before you
blow your hard earned cash.

Old January 31st 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article ,
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks

Photo Explosion V3 for $20
http://www.novadevelopment.com/Produ...w/default.aspx
OR
Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=341419

I own just a Canon SD800IS
Thank You
Ray

Neither of those could be considered even a medium range, let alone a
full-range, photo editor. They're more geared towards making greeting
cards, posters, calendars, etc. Whatever "editing" tools they do
posess are severely limited, and geared towards making those sorts of
projects, rather than actual editing.

Don't blow even that small amount of cash on them, expecting them to do
full fledged photo editing. If their features are what you need, fine,
but if not if you are looking for serious editing.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 31st 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article ,
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

[...]

Then again, not everyone needs a "full-range" photo editor...

Take a look at http://picasa.google.com - it's easy, fast, has a good compliment
of basic editing features, and most importantly, it's FREE.
Old January 31st 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article agXvh.831792$5R2.721877@pd7urf3no, Matt Ion
wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article ,
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

[...]

Which, I believe, is the gist of my last paragraph - but the "range" of
editing tools in most of these "print shop-type" programs is very sadly
lacking, and wouldn't come up to most people's standards of "minimal".

Take a look at http://picasa.google.com - it's easy, fast, has a good compliment
of basic editing features, and most importantly, it's FREE.

I've never used it (I use PS myself), but I've generally heard some
good things about it, and so might recommmend it far more readily than
either of the two programs the OP had listed.

As the OP is a user of webtv, there's no way of telling which platform
s/he's on (why anyone would use a toy like webtv for newsgroups when
they have an actual computer is beyond my ken anyway) but the
suggestion [by another poster] of Gimp if on Windows is probably a good
one... for one thing, it's free, IIRC. If on a Mac, there are also a
number of free or low-cost actual editing programs out there - all one
has to do is search VersionTracker for either platform.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 31st 07, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"QUAKEnSHAKE" wrote in message
Hi Looking at getting a photo editor.

In addition to Picasa, take a look at www.Irafanview.com - it's a free
editor with lots of features. The gimp is another free program. Both of
these have a lot of elbow room to grow into before you spend any more money.

Elements is a good chunk of Photoshop's functionality at about 80 dollars.
Picture Window Pro is another full featured editor at about that price.
Here's a discussion of PWP by Norman Koren:
http://www.normankoren.com/PWP_intro.html
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old January 31st 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
I see no reason not to use Photoshop.

....other than the fact that it costs nearly $600 and is overkill for the
casual P&S user...

Old January 31st 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Willard

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Hi Looking at getting a photo editor. Any users here of one of these.
Any features one has that would make it a better choice? Thanks

Photo Explosion V3 for $20
http://www.novadevelopment.com/Produ...w/default.aspx
OR
Print Shop Deluxe 22 for $30
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=341419

I own just a Canon SD800IS
Thank You
Ray

I have Photoshop LE and PaintShopPro. Photoshop, even the LE version, has
a few more features than PSP, but I use PSP 99% of the time for editing
stills. PSP feels like other Windows apps, while Photoshop feels like it
was written for Unix and minimally converted to Windows. Also, PSP starts up
*much* faster than Photoshop on my 3GHz 1GB dual-HD PC, in spite of 1-2 hours
spent tuning Photoshop.

I think that if I was editing video, or editing stills 5-10 hours per day, I'd
probably go with Photoshop. But for my personal, 5-10 hours per month usage,
I vote for PSP.
--
Cheers, Bob