Canon sd800is thoughts?

Old January 21st 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
QUAKEnSHAKE

Default Canon sd800is thoughts?

Hi
Im looking at getting the SD800is. Not had a camera ever really
besides a disposable. I borrowed a Sony N2 & W70 at christmas and got
mixed results from those
The things wanting in a camera a
Good "turn it on take a picture" quality no adjusting settings for my
wife. I wont mind trying out different settings.
Most pictures taken by her will be indoors. I though will be using it
on fishing outings and other activities biking rcevents. I see that it
has waterproof case for it thats a plus. The view finder will help too
outside bright days.
From reading a few reviews this camera has a "wider" view. This too is
a plus for me. My hobby of radio control vehicles I can get closer to
the vehicle and photo the small decals on the body while still getting
the whole truck in view.
My wife may want to make 8x10 at some times. Will this camera be good
for that?

Is this enough info for you here to say whether the SD800is would be a
good choice?
Thank You
Ray

Old January 21st 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Robbins

To be honest, I rarely think about Canon cameras at all. Life's too short to
waste it on the second-rate.

"QUAKEnSHAKE" wrote in message
Hi
Im looking at getting the SD800is. Not had a camera ever really
besides a disposable. I borrowed a Sony N2 & W70 at christmas and got
mixed results from those
The things wanting in a camera a
Good "turn it on take a picture" quality no adjusting settings for my
wife. I wont mind trying out different settings.
Most pictures taken by her will be indoors. I though will be using it
on fishing outings and other activities biking rcevents. I see that it
has waterproof case for it thats a plus. The view finder will help too
outside bright days.
From reading a few reviews this camera has a "wider" view. This too is

Old January 21st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 08:52:24 -0500, Doug Robbins wrote:

To be honest, I rarely think about Canon cameras at all. Life's too short to
waste it on the second-rate.

Good job your wife doesn't think the same....

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.
Old January 22nd 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Morton Linder

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Hi
Im looking at getting the SD800is. Not had a camera ever really
besides a disposable. I borrowed a Sony N2 & W70 at christmas and got
mixed results from those
The things wanting in a camera a
Good "turn it on take a picture" quality no adjusting settings for my
wife. I wont mind trying out different settings.
Most pictures taken by her will be indoors. I though will be using it
on fishing outings and other activities biking rcevents. I see that it
has waterproof case for it thats a plus. The view finder will help too
outside bright days.
From reading a few reviews this camera has a "wider" view. This too is
a plus for me. My hobby of radio control vehicles I can get closer to
the vehicle and photo the small decals on the body while still getting
the whole truck in view.
My wife may want to make 8x10 at some times. Will this camera be good
for that?

Is this enough info for you here to say whether the SD800is would be a
good choice?
Thank You
Ray

It is a fine camera, especially for its size. I easily make 8x10" prints
even from cropped images, with excellent detail. The IS is very helpful.
Try to use ISO of 200 or less, to avoid increasing "noise" in the
images. By the way, the camera has a zooming optical viewfinder, which
is quite important. I've seen people use digicams without an optical
viewfinder, by holding their arms straight out and squinting at the LCD;
a recipe for camera shake and fuzzy pix.

Good luck.

Morton

Good luck.

Old January 23rd 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
QUAKEnSHAKE

If I make manual adjustments will they "stay in place" once the camera
is turned off then on again or will have to reset settings each time?