D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2

Old June 29th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2

Sheila wrote:

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

No. So,

1) Upgrage to CS3, or

2) IF CS2 reads DNG then DL the Adobe DNG converter and convert the
Nikon raw to DNG.

and

CS4 will be out this fall (maybe), I'm not sure what the upgrade offer
from CS2 to CS4 will be.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 30th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheila

nospam wrote:
In article , Sheila
wrote:

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

camera raw includes a dng converter which can convert the d300 raws to
dng, which can then be opened by cs2. other than that, you'll need to
get cs3 or elements.

Thanks for your reply.

Where is the dng converter?
Old June 30th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheila

Paul Furman wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

Glossary first:
ACR = Adobe Camera Raw, PS/CS's raw converter plugin
DNG = Digital NeGative open raw format

Use Adobe DNG converter which comes in the ACR converter download as a
second file. Mix & match: you probably need the latest DNG thing from
ACR for CS3 and an older ACR thing which is compatible with CS2.

I do this for a D200 on CS1 & delete the NEFs, saving the DNGs. The only
thing you lose is the ability to use Nikon's converter. Camera companies
aren't software companies so that's not a big loss though some say their
converter performs better it still stinks from a user's standpoint.
Don't encourage them. All raw converters but the camera manufacturer's
will work on DNG.

Thank you, I've decided to try the 30 trial for capureNX and compare
it to Photoshop CS3, I have Photoshop CS2 now.
Old June 30th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheila

N wrote:
"Sheila" wrote in message
. ..
N wrote:
"Sheila" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.

I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

Good idea. Make sure you check out some tutorials on NX as it's quite a
different procedure, but the results can be fabulous.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/

I will. Thanks for telling me about them.
Old June 30th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sheila

Alan Browne wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

No. So,

1) Upgrage to CS3, or

2) IF CS2 reads DNG then DL the Adobe DNG converter and convert the
Nikon raw to DNG.

and

CS4 will be out this fall (maybe), I'm not sure what the upgrade offer
from CS2 to CS4 will be.

Thanks for your reply.

I'll either get captureNX or upgrade to Photoshop CS3. So, CS4 may
come out this fall, it seems that the new versions come faster and faster.

D300 and 40d Kevin Digital SLR Cameras 1 February 4th 08 02:51 PM
D3 vs D300 Mike -- Email Ignored Digital SLR Cameras 23 February 1st 08 06:48 PM
D60/D300 dullpain Digital SLR Cameras 2 January 29th 08 10:15 PM
OK - Who has a D300 and what do you think? [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 2 January 18th 08 04:26 AM
D300 vs 40D Capt. Rob 35mm Photo Equipment 6 December 2nd 07 03:15 AM