Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF informationusing freeware?

Old June 29th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

Default Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIFinformation using freeware?

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:20:01 -0700, Tom wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:26:45 +0000, Dave wrote:

http://www.exiv2.org/sample.html#modify So much for ass-tooting
assertions.

Hi there Dave,

Did I offend you somehow by being more knowledgeable? If so, I'm sorry.

I've long held the astute assertion that no Windows tool imports TEXT
Exif information. I wish one tool would import Exif TEXT information but
I know more than most and I've never seen one.

You simply changed your assertion from the previous post:
"If not, then my astute assertion that there isn't a photo editor extant
that can import Exif text would still be true."

Now it's "no Windows tool"

exiv2 can take a text file output by exiv2,you edit the tags you want and
add the set and modify commands and bingo..
exiv2 -m exif.txt *.jpg
imported exif info

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770
Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
Old June 29th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:01:09 +0000, Dave wrote:

If you want a simple import of info you can delete all the exif info and
use the add commands in a text file to add whatever tags you want.

Dave

Old June 29th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:39:43 +0100, Franklin wrote:

You seem to be trying to restate your conditions into some arcane and
stricter conditions. Why not keep an open mind about what others have
discovered and thank them for bringing something new to your attention?

Thank you Franklin. I will calm down. I was just getting frustrated that
people, of course, they were only trying to help, kept suggesting tools
that couldn't possibly do the job without suggesting how they could
possibly do the job.

As for the conditions, it's pretty clear the main requirement is a Windows
tool, hopefully freeware, that imports a text file with the result of that
import being the binary Exif metadata is modified.

Switching operating systems to accomplish the task might be the only
solution for Windows users as Dave suggests, might be the only viable
solution proposed so far that will work.
Old June 29th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Sparky[_4_]

Tom wrote:

I wish I were wrong, but, the astute observation remains, there is no
Windows freeware extant that imports Exif metadata from a text file.

There's a windows version of exiv2.

http://www.exiv2.org/download.html
http://www.exiv2.org/exiv2-0.17.1-win.zip

Old June 29th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:42:46 +0100, Franklin wrote:

On Sat 28 Jun 2008 23:26:43, Tom wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:53:49 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

EXIFEditor (http://www.kiwiczech.net/index.php?menu=353&sub=4) exports
Exif data in an XML file (which is editable with a plain text editor,
such as the Notepad) and imports Exif data from the same XML (with
changes if needed, I have tried).

I will try this and report back. I sure hope it works!

How long do you need to try it?

I'm interested to hear if this app disproves this assertion:

"There is no known Windows software that reads TEXT Exif
information."

ExifEditor does export and import XML,but some of the Makernote tags
don't seem to be editable in a plain text editor.The rest of the tags are
easily edited.I tried it on a .jpg from a Canon A620.Maybe a pure XML
editor would work better.

Dave

Old June 29th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:10:46 +0000, Dave wrote:

ExifEditor does export and import XML,but some of the Makernote tags
don't seem to be editable in a plain text editor.The rest of the tags are
easily edited.I tried it on a .jpg from a Canon A620.Maybe a pure XML
editor would work better.

Thanks Dave.
Here's what I tried on WinXP Home......

1. I downloaded the latest ExifEditor (aka MetaEditor 3.0 as of June 24th,
2008) from http://www.kiwiczech.net/?ref=metaeditor and unzipped the zip
file. MetaEditor kept throwing unhandled exceptions when opening the
sample.jpg provided so I tried the msi installer instead. This msi
installer at least told me I needed to install 37 Mbytes of Microsoft Net
Framework 3.5 bloatware which I did from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netf.../aa569263.aspx
I then installed all the .Net Framework patches and then I was able to
install MetaEditor into c:\freeware\metadata using the downloaded msi file.

2. In MetaData 3.0, I opened the supplied sample.jpg photograph, pressed
the "Export/import" button, and tried to save to a text file. The now
familiar error came up "Unhandled exception has occurred in your
application" only this time the details said "Operator " is not defined for
string "EXIF;36864;Photo;Photo.ExifVersion;Und" and type 'Byte()'.

(Bear in mind this is the sample.jpg that is supplied by the installer.)

So I decided to open a photo from a Nikon D100 but the same error popped up
when saving to a text file. So I tried saving to an XML file which worked
fine for both the sample.jpg and the Nikon D100 photograph.

Note to self: MetaData 3.0 obviously is unstable softare but if it works,
that's all that matters.

3. After making a copy of the supplied sample.jpg (for a before and after
comparison), I opened the sample.jpg exif.xml file using the Lemmy "vi"
text editor and changed one line as per below (see inclusion for details).
Tag ID="305" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.Software" Type="String" Value="ACD
Systems Digital Imaging" /
Tag ID="305" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.Software" Type="String"
Value="SNAFU" /

4. I now restarted the MetaData application, opened the supplied
sample.jpg, and pressed the "Export/import" button, selected the xml file
below (with SNAFU as the only change), selected the "all" button, and hit
ok and then pressed the "commit changes" button and selected to overwrite
the original file. (Metaeditor attempted a bit of suspicious network
activity, including a call or two to crl.microsoft.com:80 which I was
forced to allow to proceed) ...

5. Checking the resultant sample.jpg in Irfanview, I see that SNAFU took!
Woo hoo! See log file below.

Dave ... you're a genius!
I stand corrected. Now for some more tests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the exif xml file to import:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?
!--Metadata export from photoc:\tmp\exif.xml by MetaEditor--
ExifEditor version="3"
file filename="C:\data\editor\pic\metaeditor\sample.jpg "
Tag ID="41991" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.GainControl" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="37383" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.MeteringMode" Type="Short"
Value="5" /
Tag ID="305" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.Software" Type="String"
Value="SNAFU" /
Tag ID="41986" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ExposureMode" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="37122" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.CompressedBitsPerPixel"
Type="Rational" Value="4/1" /
Tag ID="41990" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.SceneCaptureType"
Type="Short" Value="0" /
Tag ID="36864" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ExifVersion"
Type="Undefined" Value="0x48 0x50 0x50 0x48" /
Tag ID="37385" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.Flash" Type="Short"
Value="16" /
Tag ID="34850" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ExposureProgram"
Type="Short" Value="3" /
Tag ID="41993" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.Saturation" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="282" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.XResolution" Type="Rational"
Value="72/1" /
Tag ID="283" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.YResolution" Type="Rational"
Value="72/1" /
Tag ID="41985" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.CustomRendered"
Type="Short" Value="0" /
Tag ID="272" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.Model" Type="String"
Value="DMC-FZ30" /
Tag ID="40962" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.PixelXDimension"
Type="Long" Value="902" /
Tag ID="37386" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.FocalLength"
Type="Rational" Value="123/10" /
Tag ID="41989" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.FocalLengthIn35mmFilm"
Type="Short" Value="61" /
Tag ID="41988" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.DigitalZoomRatio"
Type="Rational" Value="0/10" /
Tag ID="37380" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ExposureBiasValue"
Type="SRational" Value="0/100" /
Tag ID="37520" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.SubSecTime" Type="String"
Value="925" /
Tag ID="33434" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ExposureTime"
Type="Rational" Value="10/5000" /
Tag ID="306" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.DateTime" Type="Date"
Value="6/23/2008 10:45:38 PM" /
Tag ID="40961" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ColorSpace" Type="Short"
Value="1" /
Tag ID="37381" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.MaxApertureValue"
Type="Rational" Value="30/10" /
Tag ID="41992" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.Contrast" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="33437" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.FNumber" Type="Rational"
Value="45/10" /
Tag ID="36867" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.DateTimeOriginal"
Type="Date" Value="6/21/2008 5:45:03 PM" /
Tag ID="37384" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.LightSource" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="41994" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.Sharpness" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="36868" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.DateTimeDigitized"
Type="Date" Value="6/21/2008 5:45:03 PM" /
Tag ID="40963" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.PixelYDimension"
Type="Long" Value="600" /
Tag ID="41495" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.SensingMethod"
Type="Short" Value="2" /
Tag ID="40960" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.FlashpixVersion"
Type="Undefined" Value="0x48 0x49 0x48 0x48" /
Tag ID="34855" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ISOSpeedRatings"
Type="Short" Value="80" /
Tag ID="531" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.YCbCrPositioning"
Type="Short" Value="1" /
Tag ID="37121" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.ComponentsConfiguration"
Type="Undefined" Value="0x1 0x2 0x3 0x0" /
Tag ID="274" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.Orientation" Type="Short"
Value="1" /
Tag ID="271" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.Make" Type="String"
Value="Panasonic" /
Tag ID="41728" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.FileSource"
Type="Undefined" Value="0x3" /
Tag ID="34665" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.ExifTag" Type="Long"
Value="System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapMetadata " /
Tag ID="40965" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.InteroperabilityTag"
Type="Long" Value="System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapMetadata " /
Tag ID="296" Class="EXIF" Name="Image.ResolutionUnit" Type="Short"
Value="2" /
Tag ID="41987" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.WhiteBalance" Type="Short"
Value="0" /
Tag ID="41729" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.SceneType"
Type="Undefined" Value="0x1" /
Tag ID="37500" Class="EXIF" Name="Photo.MakerNote"
Type="Undefined" Value="" /
/file
/ExifEditor

Here is the metadata log file of the results:
ExifEditor log, 6/28/2008 8:40 PM

C:\data\editor\pic\metaeditor\sample.jpg
EXIF.Photo.SensingMethod, OK
EXIF.Image.DateTime, OK
EXIF.Image.YCbCrPositioning, OK
EXIF.Photo.Flash, OK
EXIF.Photo.CustomRendered, OK
EXIF.Photo.MeteringMode, OK
EXIF.Photo.Contrast, OK
EXIF.Photo.Sharpness, OK
EXIF.Image.Model, OK
EXIF.Photo.MaxApertureValue, OK
EXIF.Image.Software, OK
EXIF.Photo.FileSource, OK
EXIF.Image.Orientation, OK
EXIF.Photo.ComponentsConfiguration, OK
EXIF.Photo.DateTimeOriginal, OK
EXIF.Photo.FocalLengthIn35mmFilm, OK
EXIF.Photo.FlashpixVersion, OK
EXIF.Photo.ExposureTime, OK
EXIF.Photo.FNumber, OK
EXIF.Photo.Saturation, OK
EXIF.Photo.ISOSpeedRatings, OK
EXIF.Image.ExifTag, OK
EXIF.Photo.SceneCaptureType, OK
EXIF.Photo.DigitalZoomRatio, OK
EXIF.Photo.SubSecTime, OK
EXIF.Image.YResolution, OK
EXIF.Photo.SceneType, OK
EXIF.Photo.ExposureProgram, OK
EXIF.Image.Make, OK
EXIF.Photo.DateTimeDigitized, OK
EXIF.Photo.ExifVersion, OK
EXIF.Photo.MakerNote, OK
EXIF.Photo.CompressedBitsPerPixel, OK
EXIF.Photo.InteroperabilityTag, OK
EXIF.Photo.PixelYDimension, OK
EXIF.Photo.ExposureMode, OK
EXIF.Photo.FocalLength, OK
EXIF.Photo.GainControl, OK
EXIF.Image.XResolution, OK
EXIF.Photo.ExposureBiasValue, OK
EXIF.Photo.WhiteBalance, OK
EXIF.Image.ResolutionUnit, OK
EXIF.Photo.ColorSpace, OK
EXIF.Photo.LightSource, OK
EXIF.Photo.PixelXDimension, OK
Saving file, OK
Old June 29th 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
M.L.[_2_]

You seem to be trying to restate your conditions into some arcane and
stricter conditions. Why not keep an open mind about what others have
discovered and thank them for bringing something new to your
attention?

Thank you Franklin. I will calm down. I was just getting frustrated
that
people, of course, they were only trying to help, kept suggesting
tools
that couldn't possibly do the job without suggesting how they could
possibly do the job.

Actually, their mistake was more benign than yours. If someone had
followed your advice they would have missed out on a Windows app that
could read/write Exif data.

As for the conditions, it's pretty clear the main requirement is a
Windows
tool, hopefully freeware, that imports a text file with the result of
that
import being the binary Exif metadata is modified.

Switching operating systems to accomplish the task might be the only
solution for Windows users as Dave suggests, might be the only viable
solution proposed so far that will work.

But you've already witnessed that a Windows app could read/write Exif
data, so why switch OS?

Old June 29th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:43:34 -0700, Tom wrote:

.

Thanks Dave.
Here's what I tried on WinXP Home......

................................................. .......... This msi
installer at least told me I needed to install 37 Mbytes of Microsoft
Net Framework 3.5 bloatware which I did from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netf.../aa569263.aspx I then
installed all the .Net Framework patches and then I was able to install
MetaEditor into c:\freeware\metadata using the downloaded msi file.

Just an aside,it worked fine with Net 2.0 here.

Dave

Old June 29th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 05:07:35 -0500, M.L. wrote:

If someone had followed your advice they would have missed
out on a Windows app that could read/write Exif data.

Hello M.L.

This is a good point; however, recent tests have shown MetaEditor is NOT
the solution requested. This is unfortunate.

What MetaEditor does do is run on Windows to export and then import a
"text" XML file containing "some" Exif metadata.

The problem that kills the solution is MetaEditor only exports and imports
a very limited set of Exif metadata (which, to his credit, I think Dave
astutely alluded to when he made his original assertion).

So, we're still stuck when it comes to importing "Image Number" and "Owner
Name" and other Exif metadata information from a "text" XML file.

It's sad because I was hoping MetaData would have been the first known
Windows program to export and import Exif metadata via a text intermediate.
It is, but it doesn't work because it doesn't export enough metadata.

So, technically, we still don't know of any Windows program to export and
import a "usable" set of Exif metadata via a text-editable intermediary
file (words carefully chosen).
Old June 29th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:54:03 +0000, Dave wrote:
Just an aside,it worked fine with Net 2.0 here.

Hi Dave,

Your MetaEditor Windows freeware suggestion was wonderful! You proposed the
very first known Windows program (freeware or otherwise) which purports to
export and import Exif metadata to/from a text-editable file!

Unfortunately, MetaEditor only exports a subset of Exif metadata to that
text intermediary file.

For example, MetaData does not output the "Image Number" nor the "Owner
Name" nor the "Flash Mode", nor the "Focal Length", etc.

By way of comparison using a Canon PowerShot S500 jpeg, the following
metadata information was NOT exported by MetaEditor to a text-editable
file.

ExifOffSet - 7844
ExifImageWidth - 480
ExifImageHeight - 640
Macro mode - Normal
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Auto + red-eye reduction
Sequence mode - Single or Timer
Focus mode - Single
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
ISO Value - 50
Metering mode - Evaluative
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected - Auto AF point selection
Exposure mode - Easy shooting
Focal length - 237 - 711 mm (32 mm)
Flash activity -
Flash details - Internal
Focus mode 2 - Single
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0.00 EV
Subject Distance - 60
Image Type - IMG:PowerShot S500 JPEG
Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.00
Image Number - 0265733
Owner Name - Dave & Tom