Is this dust on the sensor? (image link)

Old June 25th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default Is this dust on the sensor? (image link)

"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"

I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
not the lens.

This is a 20D.
Old June 25th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

SMS wrote:
"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"

I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
not the lens.

This is a 20D.

Yes, that definitely looks like sensor dust. I'd recommend a large
rubber bulb blower such as the 'rocket' blower, then a brush, a cheap
nylon makeup brush works for me, then wet cleaning if it still needs it.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 25th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

me wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:54:52 -0700, in rec.photo.digital SMS
wrote:

"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"

I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
not the lens.

Sheesh, are you sure you couldn't post a smaller more heavily artifacted
pic to try to make an assessment from? Dust, I don't think so. Looks like a
round loop of trash, probably from velcro. I think I may see a few more,
but's its hard to tell given this pic.

At least he's not submitting it to UFO sites. Okay, yes, that's just an
assumption.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old June 25th 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

SMS wrote:
"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"

I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
not the lens.

This is a 20D.

I find this posting extremely puzzling (says he, slightly tongue in
cheek), as it appears to be from the same guy who used to be extremely
opinionated in regard to his choice of which cameras would suit
*everyone*, and continually pointed them to his (highly unbiased (grin))
site.. wasn't it dslrinfo.com? Yes, I'm sure that was a Mr Scharfe, but
perhaps he can correct me..

Anyway, I find it astonishing that a person who proclaimed such an
intimate knowledge of the DSLR industry cannot tell what is dust on a
sensor, and posts a tiny little pic to try to get help with same...

But to answer the question, my opinion is yes, of course it is dust, if
it appears on many pictures. I wonder what else he thought it might be?
Some sort of large scale fuzzy pixel defect?

And yes, if it appears no matter what lens, I reckon *I too* (after some
careful consideration and a few sleepless nights), would eliminate the
lens as the problem...

(O:
Old June 25th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Default Correction - it was digitalslrinfo.com Is this dust on thesensor? (image link)

Mark Thomas wrote:
wasn't it dslrinfo.com?

Sorry, it was actually http://digitalslrinfo.com/.

But I wouldn't bother visiting as he seems to have abandoned it in
2006... With good reason, imo.
Old June 25th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Paul Furman wrote:
SMS wrote:
"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"

I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
not the lens.

This is a 20D.

Yes, that definitely looks like sensor dust. I'd recommend a large
rubber bulb blower such as the 'rocket' blower, then a brush, a cheap
nylon makeup brush works for me, then wet cleaning if it still needs it.

I tried the blower, to no effect, which is why I wasn't sure if it was
dust or not. I'm going to take it in to the local (only) real camera
store to get it cleaned, as I'm not comfortable doing a wet cleaning
myself. They charge $45, and they do a large number of cleanings (they
said that they're backed up for a week with sensor cleanings).
Old June 25th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

This is a little OT but, were you shooting for the condos or the Moon
in this shot?
Old June 25th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Casual Observer

The airplane.