What do you use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

Old May 25th 08, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Sharon[_2_]

Default What do you use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??

I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the EXIF
data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS "tracker".

I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device" that
lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and which
logged exactly where my camera strap was.

Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and date
with that GPS log.

Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable price
(~$300 USD or so).

What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?
Old May 25th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Jeff R.

"Sharon" wrote in message
What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??

I certainly don't do it with *all* my photos. Most of the time I know where
I am, and can tell same from the photo.

--however--

On road trips, when I stop at some pretty un-named spot for a few snaps, I
will take a shot of the lat/long from the car's GPS. Its not as neat as
embedding it in the EXIF (*no* idea how to do that!) but its easy enough to
track back and relate the two shots later at home.

Its fun to plug the co-ords into Google Earth (or Maps) to find out the name
of the location.

Works for me.

--
Jeff R.

Old May 25th 08, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Dick

"Jeff R." wrote in message
u...

Have a look at this link http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Old May 25th 08, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Sharon wrote:
What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??

I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the EXIF
data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS "tracker".

I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device" that
lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and which
logged exactly where my camera strap was.

Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and date
with that GPS log.

Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable price
(~$300 USD or so).

What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

I nearly always carry a small portable hiking GPS model, simply
because it's so useful for logging interesting positions regardless of
whether I'm using a camera. If I am using a camera, and it's not
possible to photograph a street name or other handy landmark, I simply
photograph the GPS display.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old May 25th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Clair Johnston

Sharon wrote:
What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??

I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the EXIF
data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS "tracker".

I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device" that
lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and which
logged exactly where my camera strap was.

Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and date
with that GPS log.

Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable price
(~$300 USD or so).

What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

I have been doing this for a while now. I first (and still do) use a
Garmen 76cs. Late last year, I bought a gps data logger from
http://www.semsons.com/datalogger.html because of its smaller size. the
one I bought was a Amod 3080. I selected this model because it ran on
AAA batteries. I briefly considered a bluetooth model but couldn't
justify the extra complexity. I can get a days worth of photography from
a set of rechargables. You may have different requirements.

Software comes with syncing software, but I prefer to use
http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/ as someone else suggested. You may
also want to look at
http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/fot...xiftoolgui.htm to modify the
exif fields in the photograph.

Good luck,
Clair
Old May 25th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Deep Reset

"Sharon" wrote in message
What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??

I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the EXIF
data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS "tracker".

I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device" that
lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and which
logged exactly where my camera strap was.

Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and
date
with that GPS log.

Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable price
(~$300 USD or so).

Nokia N82. Also doubles as a handy cellphone and backup camera..

Old May 25th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Scott P

Here is the procedure that I used last fall to match several hundred photos
from a two week trip to the west coast last fall.

1) Equipment: Nikon 100, Garmin 60CSx, laptop, and RoboGEO.
2) Sync the time between the camera and the GPS.
3) Let the GPS record the track all day. It was on the back seat on a bean
bag mount or on my belt when hiking.
4) Every night, download the track from the GPS to the laptop. DO NOT SAVE
the track on the GPS unit.
5) Every night, download the pictures from the camera to the laptop.
6) Use RoboGEO to merge the GPS track and the pictures. As long as the
camera and the GPS are in sync, it all works great.
7) Recommend that you try an experiment at home before you start your trip
to verify the procedure.

Scott

Old May 26th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Tom H.

http://home.att.net/~tbharvey/
"Sharon" wrote in message
What do you use to log GPS coordinates of all your photographs??

I know some (not mine) cameras actually log GPS information into the EXIF
data but maybe we can buy/build our own with a universal GPS "tracker".

I'd be happy if I could tape onto my camera strap a small "device" that
lasted a long time on battery (a week or more would be nice) and which
logged exactly where my camera strap was.

Then I would stand a chance of figuring out at which location any
particularly interesting shot was taken by comparing the EXIF time and
date
with that GPS log.

Does such a passive tiny GPS logging device exist at an affordable price
(~$300 USD or so).

What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

The best program that I have use is freeware called GPicSync that will
compare the digital photo timestamp to a gps tracklog and put the
coordinates in the EXIF data and also create aGoogle Earth file that allows
you to see where the pics were taken.

Tom

Old May 26th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Sharon[_2_]

On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:17 GMT, Tom H. wrote:
What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

The best program that I have use is freeware called GPicSync that will
compare the digital photo timestamp to a gps tracklog and put the
coordinates in the EXIF data and also create aGoogle Earth file that allows
you to see where the pics were taken.

You got me hooked on this simple plan!
Old May 26th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Wayne R.

I bought a Geko 201 off eBay for $50 to keep with a little point &
shoot in my laptop bag.

I also keep my Garmin 76S with my much better camera.

And I have RoboGEO in the laptop. Pretty easy. Since I also use a
USB-serial doodad for other stuff, I just have to have two cables for
the two GPSs. That's dumb but not too bad.

On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:31:16 -0700, Sharon wrote
(with clarity & insight):

What do YOU use to log the GPS coordinates for your photographs?

$25,000 Reward for Japanese Whalers' Coordinates [email protected] Digital Photography 24 February 1st 07 04:12 AM
photographs tonita Digital Photography 3 August 23rd 06 12:57 AM
My photographs paul Fine Art, Framing and Display 0 July 17th 06 01:29 PM
360 VR Photographs...how is it done? ASAAR Digital Photography 23 May 4th 05 08:56 PM
Art photographs [email protected] General Equipment For Sale 0 February 23rd 05 05:59 AM