Prof. choice pocket cam?

Old May 12th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Kendall

Default Prof. choice pocket cam?

As a previous 35mm SLR user, I was aware that professional
photographers regarded several specific models of camera as worthy
pocket-size backups. For example, the Yashica T4.

Along these lines, what models are pro digital photographers tending
to carry these days as a backup pocket camera?

By "pocket" I mean something that can be carried relatively
inconspicuously in a pants pocket.

Thank you for any advice.

Mike Kendall
Old May 13th 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Mike Kendall wrote:
As a previous 35mm SLR user, I was aware that professional
photographers regarded several specific models of camera as worthy
pocket-size backups. For example, the Yashica T4.

Along these lines, what models are pro digital photographers tending
to carry these days as a backup pocket camera?

By "pocket" I mean something that can be carried relatively
inconspicuously in a pants pocket.

Thank you for any advice.

Mike Kendall

As a non-pro, I carry a black Panasonic TZ5 as a compact, but capable,
backup camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

David

Old May 13th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Tue, 13 May 2008 08:31:33 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Mike Kendall wrote:
As a previous 35mm SLR user, I was aware that professional
photographers regarded several specific models of camera as worthy
pocket-size backups. For example, the Yashica T4.

Along these lines, what models are pro digital photographers tending
to carry these days as a backup pocket camera?

By "pocket" I mean something that can be carried relatively
inconspicuously in a pants pocket.

Thank you for any advice.

Mike Kendall

As a non-pro, I carry a black Panasonic TZ5 as a compact, but capable,
backup camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

David

The new Sony W170, 28mm wide angle, optical viewfinder, instant
focus when set to Infinity, 5x optical zoom. Superb PQ.
##

##

##

##
Old May 13th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-05-12 15:19:00 -0700, Mike Kendall said:

As a previous 35mm SLR user, I was aware that professional
photographers regarded several specific models of camera as worthy
pocket-size backups. For example, the Yashica T4.

Along these lines, what models are pro digital photographers tending
to carry these days as a backup pocket camera?

By "pocket" I mean something that can be carried relatively
inconspicuously in a pants pocket.

Thank you for any advice.

Mike Kendall

Oddly enough, I carry an iPhone, which ought to show you how picky I am. :-)
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 13th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ali

Or a Leica M8.

I very much doubt true pro photographers would carry backup pocket cameras,
it would be more likely that they would carry multiple bodies.

Old June 29th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

irwell wrote:

The new Sony W170, 28mm wide angle, optical viewfinder, instant
focus when set to Infinity, 5x optical zoom. Superb PQ.

Do you have this camera? I told a relative to buy a Canon SD800 since at
the time it was the only model with a 28mm wide angle and optical
viewfinder, but she didn't act fast and now it's discontinued. I saw the
new Sony W170, with the only drawback being the memory stick memory
card, and thought this would be a good choice now, but there were no
reviews of it yet.