Enlarger Bellows Rebuild - modern tricks?

Old April 21st 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jjs

Default Enlarger Bellows Rebuild - modern tricks?

The Bellows is done, and without a single reference to any help. It is
actually pretty obvious how to make it so.

It sure is much easier working with big bellows than small ones.

Old April 22nd 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
John wrote:
Materials technology has changed a great deal in the past few decades, so I
am hoping (L-A-Z-Y) that there might be a flexible, nonsticky, spray-on
coating that can be applied inside and outside a large bellows (for 10X10"
enlarger).

Spray-on, no. But Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker (available at your
local auto parts store) works well, though it does not leave
a smooth interior surface. It is rubbery, not sticky, once it dries.

I use a small piece of black gaffer's tape on the outside to make a backing,
then Ultra Black on the inside. Remove the tape backing, or not, after the
gasket maker dries, according to your preference.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky
Old April 22nd 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jjs

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message

Spray-on, no. But Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker (available at your
local auto parts store) works well, though it does not leave
a smooth interior surface. It is rubbery, not sticky, once it dries.

*SLAPing my head*

I used that stuff when building cars. (Never on a carburator, however.
Baaaad there.)

I use a small piece of black gaffer's tape on the outside to make a
backing,
then Ultra Black on the inside. Remove the tape backing, or not, after
the
gasket maker dries, according to your preference.

You made it just too easy. I will stop by the shop on the way home.

TIP - or my two-bits worth. Gaffer's is too sticky for some masking jobs. 3M
has "blue" masking tape. If you look on the side of the roll they have the
stickiness factor from less to more sticky (1 to 5). I use #2 because it
releases easily and doesn't take underlying paint or whatever off the
surface. Highly recommended for small jobs. (Expensive stuff, too.)

Old April 22nd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
jjs jjs.jjs.net wrote:

TIP - or my two-bits worth. Gaffer's is too sticky for some masking jobs. 3M
has "blue" masking tape. If you look on the side of the roll they have the
stickiness factor from less to more sticky (1 to 5). I use #2 because it
releases easily and doesn't take underlying paint or whatever off the
surface. Highly recommended for small jobs. (Expensive stuff, too.)

I like that stuff. I use the black gaff tape on bellows because if the
bellows is black, it generally matches well enough to not look too bad
if left in place, it is easy to tear neatly to match the existing width
of the bellows fold being fixed, and the adhesive _seems_ to not be
acidic enough to eat the bellows material underneath and turn it to
dust (though I have never left any in place longer than about 10 years,
and that on a synthetic, not leather, bellows). It gives me some peace
of mind lest the Permatex should come loose and the bellows suddenly
leak light -- that won't happen, with the gaffer's tape on there.

Old April 23rd 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Pico

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message

[... snip... we are discussing Gaffer's tape ...]
dust (though I have never left any in place longer than about 10 years,

Only ten years?

I should start a separate thread on Gaffer's tape, but I'll risk comments
here - I haven't found any that was the same as the stuff we used in the
early Seventies. This is not a case of selective memory. The original stuff
could be folded over on itself into a small square and stuck in the pocket
for odd emergencies outside of work. It unfolded nicely without leaving
residue in itself and would work again.

At work they order some kind of no-name Gaffers equivalent but it is not
even close. I have just a bit left of my last roll of Bogen's equivalent and
it does not have the same release adhesive.

It's the end of an era, I tell ya. Today I get funny looks from photography
students if I mention Gaffer's. It's like they are thinking Cut, Paste and
Lock Layer is the same.

So, can you recommend a replacement for Bogen's? I suppose it's Manfrotto
now.

Old April 23rd 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

... gaffer tape ... it's not like it used to be ...

"Gaffer Tape" (tm) is no longer.

I haven't tried these, but it's probably the best that
can be done.

http://www.filmtools.com/ -- search for gaffer

Things are not what they used to be, and they never were.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index2.htm

Old April 23rd 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jjs

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message

http://www.filmtools.com/ -- search for gaffer

Whoa! A new toy store! Thanks. I'll try their 2" tape. Just right for little
jobs.

Lookie he http://www.filmtools.com/dkzdse10moba.html

Wonder if that would work for a custom-made 10x10" enlarging light box?
Or should I start to use up the cases of Mazda 75 flashbulbs?

Getting goofy. End of work day.
'nite

Old June 6th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
MangroveRoot

Pico wrote:
(. . .) I haven't found any that was the same as the stuff we used in the
early Seventies. This is not a case of selective memory. The original stuff
could be folded over on itself into a small square and stuck in the pocket
for odd emergencies outside of work. It unfolded nicely without leaving
residue in itself and would work again. (. . .)

Sounds like what others of us in the same era referred to as "racing tape",
suitable for body work, patching an exhaust manifold, or (rolled up) a
(non-functioning) substitute for a spark plug. :-)