Rule of f16

Old May 7th 04, 05:34 PM
Ken Burns

Default Rule of f16

Here in the Southern Appalachians, because of the high levels of haze (air
pollution?) the sunny f/11 rule is oftentimes more accurate.

KB

"Trevor Longino" wrote in message
As a photography student, I've had the "Rule of Sunny f16" drilled in to

me.
I know with a 35mm what all the rules of thumb are; are they the same for

6x9? I also usually overexpose my negatives about a half a stop to help

get
a littl emore detail out of my highlights. Is this still neccessary with a
medium format?

Thanks!
Trevor Longino

Old May 7th 04, 07:14 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Trevor Longino wrote:

Knowing this, you might want to use f22 in the summer in Florida

Thanks. Given that is *is* summer, and I *am* in florida, I'll stop my

lens
down a bit more.

Do they teach how to use one of those modern thingies? I believe they
call'em "meters", but i'm not sure.

Old May 7th 04, 08:05 PM
jjs

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message
i.nl...

Do they teach how to use one of those modern thingies? I believe they
call'em "meters", but i'm not sure.

Meter? Whazat? I just look at my eyes in a mirror and determine F-Stop by
the size of my iris. Funny, but I tend to overexpose on Saturday mornings.

Old May 7th 04, 09:06 PM
Hemi4268

Do they teach how to use one of those modern thingies? I believe they
call'em "meters", but i'm not sure.

Actually in astronomy class they teach you about look-up tables. Astronomy
class is all about look-up tables and less about looking at stars.

Anyway, there is a look up table for sunlight levels vs solar altitude, date
and time of day. So instead of using a meter just use the lookup table. Now
quick question. How much light is falling on Erie Pa on the date November 12 at
1:45 in the afternoon? Just pull out the look-up table and in 2 minutes, you
have the answer. You don't even have to go there. Let me tell you, you don't
want to be there anytime after the 15 of October anyway.

Larry
Old May 7th 04, 10:59 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Hemi4268 wrote:

Actually in astronomy class they teach you about look-up tables.

Astronomy
class is all about look-up tables and less about looking at stars.

Anyway, there is a look up table for sunlight levels vs solar altitude,

date
and time of day. So instead of using a meter just use the lookup table.

Now
quick question. How much light is falling on Erie Pa on the date November

12 at
1:45 in the afternoon? Just pull out the look-up table and in 2 minutes,

you
have the answer. You don't even have to go there. Let me tell you, you

don't
want to be there anytime after the 15 of October anyway.

So you look up the weather in an almanac too?

Old May 8th 04, 12:39 AM
Hemi4268

So you look up the weather in an almanac too?

Well yes. What will the weather be at the North Pole December 22? I look it
up and the look-up table says bad weather for that day. See Simple.

Larry
Old May 8th 04, 10:19 AM
RolandRB

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message ...
"Hemi4268" wrote:

In Japan, my eye tells me that the light is bright and harsh, but when I
actually meter things, f/8 seems to be the most common result at 1/film
speed.

At f-8 would mean 1250 foot candles. Maybe London at Christmas time.

Maybe
even North Korea but your at least a stop off anywhere in Japan.

Yes. I realize that. But the slides are coming out just fine. I'm using a
spot meter, looking at the subject, deciding whether I want it at zone IV,
V, or VI, and setting the exposure accordingly*. Recently, I've been doing
reality check against sunny 16, and I've observed that sunny 16 rarely gives
the same answer: sunny 8 seems right.

*: When the subject or part thereof falls in that range, of course.

I'm very surprised about that. I do most of my shots in bright
sunlight and I use the sunny 16 rule and exposure is exactly as I
expect it. I have a one degree spot meter and I know it agrees with
the sunny 16 rule so I don't bother to carry it around on a sunny day.
Old May 8th 04, 01:15 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

RolandRB wrote:

I'm very surprised about that. I do most of my shots in bright
sunlight and I use the sunny 16 rule and exposure is exactly as I
expect it. I have a one degree spot meter and I know it agrees with
the sunny 16 rule so I don't bother to carry it around on a sunny day.

Uisng modern negative films, the "rule" should perhaps be called "Sunny
anywhere between f/5.6 and f/22".

Old May 9th 04, 09:10 AM
RolandRB

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message li.nl...
RolandRB wrote:

I'm very surprised about that. I do most of my shots in bright
sunlight and I use the sunny 16 rule and exposure is exactly as I
expect it. I have a one degree spot meter and I know it agrees with
the sunny 16 rule so I don't bother to carry it around on a sunny day.

Uisng modern negative films, the "rule" should perhaps be called "Sunny
anywhere between f/5.6 and f/22".

He was talking about slide film. I would have thought overexposing by
two stops wouldn't have left him with much of a picture.
Old May 9th 04, 11:12 AM
Q.G. de Bakker

RolandRB wrote:

Uisng modern negative films, the "rule" should perhaps be called "Sunny
anywhere between f/5.6 and f/22".

He was talking about slide film. I would have thought overexposing by
two stops wouldn't have left him with much of a picture.

Indeed.
But the thread is about this rather silly rule and not specific about any
type of film.