Used MF Prices --- I Should be Happy but not

Old October 13th 04, 07:05 PM
MATT WILLIAMS

Default Used MF Prices --- I Should be Happy but not

I have been using and learning about MF now for about five years. I started
out with a Seagull and after reading about them and their limitations I sold
it and in the past few years I have picked up a Mamiya 645 with a couple of
extra lenses, A Yashica D with the a Yashinon lens, A very nice Agfa 6X6
with a Solinar lens folder that I had reconditioned with new bellows and
takes great pictures. I also own a Canon 7n 35mm camera and a Digital Rebel
300 that my wife bought me for Christmas last year. This is not meant to be
a thread on digital vs. MF. I use both and I like to use the histogram on
the Digital Rebel to give me a better idea on exposure for my MF pictures,
especially sunrises and pictures of mountains with snow on them. I take
mainly landscapes. I have been watching for years the prices of MF used
equipment fall 30-50% on ebay and KEH. Mamiya zoom lenses are now with in my
reach to purchase for my M645. I should be happy about this , but I am
wondering how long Fuji and Kodak will continue to make 120 film.
I still love MF and want to keep using film. I have a Epson 2450 (I know
it old, but it works) and can scan my slides and can have them printed or
blown up locally. I just purchased a 35mm slide scanner so I do the same as
the local photo shops don't want to take the time to set up their mini labs
to scan 35mm slides correctly. I have a lot of money invested in MF and am
thinking about a few more purchases. Yet, if I can not get the 120 film in a
few years it will be a waste to buy more lenses or another camera (been
thinking about a Fuji GA645) . Looks like Kodak has stopped all research on
developing new film. Where is Fuji at ? I have heard many times that there
will always be film made, but I am wondering at what price ? If the demand
goes down these companies must make a profit. Bronica just stopped making
most of their MF cameras. Does anyone know what the "official" or public
statements that film companies have make on there continued support of 120
(or 220) film. Will Agfa photo (just spun off from the main company in a
management buyout) continue to make 120 film ? Sorry for the long post, but
I still want to be shooting film ten years from now. Any feedback would be
appreciated . Matt

Old October 13th 04, 07:16 PM
jjs

"MATT WILLIAMS" wrote in message
[...]
I still love MF and want to keep using film.
[...] Yet, if I can not get the 120 film in a few years it will be a waste
to buy more [...]

So your love of film is conditional, eh? Think of how many pictures you can
make in a few years and be happy.

Old October 13th 04, 07:32 PM
MATT WILLIAMS

The main point of the post is how long will 120 film be made ? I don't want
to spend a 1000 dollars on equipment that I will not be able to get film for
in two years or so. However, if 120 film has five years or more in
production then at current used prices for MF equipment I could justify in
my mind the expenditure. I am sure that many people in this newsgroup have
the same question. It really has nothing to do with unconditional love of
film but where to put the resources at hand.

Old October 13th 04, 07:35 PM
jjs

The main point of the post is how long will 120 film be made ? I don't
want
to spend a 1000 dollars on equipment that I will not be able to get film
for
in two years or so.

Nobody knows how long it will be available, but my bet is that it will be
around for another twenty years.

Old October 13th 04, 08:01 PM
Jeremy

The main point of the post is how long will 120 film be made ?

120 film must THE longest-lasting size around by now.

When digital imaging approaches the theoretical quality level of 35mm, there
might even be a revival of MF, as serious photographers jump from the
digital/35mm bandwagon to a "better" image of MF. Who knows?

If there is not to be much more development of film emulsions, the logical
progression would be for serious photographers to move up to 120, if they
want to see improvements over 35mm. And, let's be honest, even with all the
improvements in 35mm film over the past 3 decades, one can get much better
quality images by going up to MF--even my old Yashica Model A (TLR) can blow
anything in 35mm away, if stopped down to f/8 and used on a tripod.

I don't think film will die--it just will be manufactured in China. :-)