Bloody Ridiculous!

Old May 5th 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Bloody Ridiculous!

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs from
my old computer which now is only used for external backup and my
wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I came to
remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe that
after it had been run and reported complete removal of everything to
do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another 165 program files
and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how many program files and
registry entries *before* Canon's unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

Eric Stevens

Old May 5th 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs from
my old computer which now is only used for external backup and my
wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I came to
remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe that
after it had been run and reported complete removal of everything to
do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another 165 program files
and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how many program files and
registry entries *before* Canon's unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

welcome to windows.

Got one. It's a cute little pile of dust at the corner of my desk...
--
teleportation kills
Old May 5th 17, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 04 May 2017 21:05:39 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs from
my old computer which now is only used for external backup and my
wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I came to
remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe that
after it had been run and reported complete removal of everything to
do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another 165 program files
and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how many program files and
registry entries *before* Canon's unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

welcome to windows.

I've used Revo to clean out a number of computers but I've never seen
anything like this. Rather than 'welcome to windows' I would rather
express it as 'welcome (?) to Canon'.

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 17, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs from
my old computer which now is only used for external backup and my
wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I came to
remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe that
after it had been run and reported complete removal of everything to
do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another 165 program files
and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how many program files and
registry entries *before* Canon's unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

welcome to windows.

I've used Revo to clean out a number of computers but I've never seen
anything like this. Rather than 'welcome to windows' I would rather
express it as 'welcome (?) to Canon'.

windows came up with the registry. not canon.
Old May 5th 17, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs from
my old computer which now is only used for external backup and my
wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I came to
remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe that
after it had been run and reported complete removal of everything to
do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another 165 program files
and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how many program files
and registry entries *before* Canon's unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

I don't understand your point, registry entries are just settings and take
pretty much no space at all. It's a database of settings for the program, and
if it didn't store them in the registry it would store them in a preferences
file on disk which would probably be bigger.

--
Sandman
Old May 5th 17, 10:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 04 May 2017 23:16:34 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs from
my old computer which now is only used for external backup and my
wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I came to
remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe that
after it had been run and reported complete removal of everything to
do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another 165 program files
and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how many program files and
registry entries *before* Canon's unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

welcome to windows.

I've used Revo to clean out a number of computers but I've never seen
anything like this. Rather than 'welcome to windows' I would rather
express it as 'welcome (?) to Canon'.

windows came up with the registry. not canon.

The idea of a registry makes a certain idea of sense (and I don't
intend to join you in an argument about this) but it was Canon who
came up with the need of a *ridiculous* number or registry entries. I
have never encountered any other software which comes anywhere near
it.

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 17, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 5 May 2017 04:44:06 GMT, Sandman wrote:

[...]

True, but why so many? I haven't encountered any other software which
requires so many (but I haven't had to deal with Windows Office).

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 17, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens:
I've been using Revo Uninstaller to clean out unwanted programs
from my old computer which now is only used for external backup
and my wife's photographs and email. All was going well until I
came to remove Canon's 'Zoom Browser".

There is an uninstaller for Zoom Browser but would you believe
that after it had been run and reported complete removal of
everything to do with Zoom Browser, Revo went on to find another
165 program files and 6065 registry entries! I hate to think how
many program files and registry entries *before* Canon's
unistaller was set to work.

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

Sandman:
I don't understand your point, registry entries are just settings
and take pretty much no space at all. It's a database of settings
for the program, and if it didn't store them in the registry it
would store them in a preferences file on disk which would
probably be bigger.

True, but why so many?

No idea, but the amount shouldn't really matter that much really. My .plist
file for BBEdit, a popular text editor for Mac, is 9,696 lines long and is
262 KB large. And .plist files are the "standard" format for preferences in
OSX, but they are all kept in separate files rather than in a DB as with the
registry.

There is some fear about the registry that is unneeded. Windows sometimes
have problems with registry corruption where something happens and the
registry gets messed up, but it's only the SYSTEM part that leads to actual
system problems, when you're in user space, at most you lose your settings,
which of course can happen with preferences files as well.

--
Sandman
Old May 5th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

6065 registry entries! Bloody Ridiculous!

welcome to windows.

I've used Revo to clean out a number of computers but I've never seen
anything like this. Rather than 'welcome to windows' I would rather
express it as 'welcome (?) to Canon'.

windows came up with the registry. not canon.

The idea of a registry makes a certain idea of sense (and I don't
intend to join you in an argument about this)

the registry makes *no* sense, since it's a single point of failure and
a complete cluster****.

but it was Canon who
came up with the need of a *ridiculous* number or registry entries. I
have never encountered any other software which comes anywhere near
it.

ridiculous to you, but maybe not to canon.

there could be a very good reason why there are so many.

it's not like someone at canon said 'how can we flood the registry with
6000 entries. maybe we can win a prize'. that didn't happen.

end users shouldn't be ****ing around with the registry anyway.