Nikon releases...another black DSLR...ho hum...

Old April 16th 17, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Nikon releases...another black DSLR...ho hum...

On 2017-04-16 13:42:40 +0000, android said:

Savageduck wrote:

I also have a few more lenses on my shopping list.
http://fujifilm-x.com/lenses/

Oki...

Your christmas list? ;-))

A little sooner than that. ;-)

I am also considering the battery grip/booster for my X-T2. It is a bit
more power hungry than the X-E2 and there are some times I would prefer
to have the option of not changing batteries.

So far I haven't needed the added performance boost of the grip. The
performance without the grip, is far superior to my D300S and the X-E2.

My only complaint so far is, Adobe has yet to optimize LR and ACR for
X-Trans III RAW(RAF) processing.

Fortunately the SOOC JPEGs are very good, so good that it almost seems
pointless to shoot RAW. For now On1 Photo RAW 2017, Luminar, and
AlienSkin Exposure X2 are doing a better job of rendering X-Trans III
RAF files, especially with regard to sharpening.

Have you tried the XTransformer? No, it won't turn you Benz into a
Chevy! ;-)

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html

Not yet. I have tried the Irident Developer, which is very capable, but
is too awkward to fit into my workflow.

Here are some SOOC JPEG's, full size with no adjustments. One is the
hillside with wildflowers I posted the other day, and the other is my
neighborhood, my house is behind the trees in the middle of the shot.
https://adobe.ly/2oAv8Ii

Sorry, but all I got was an error message. Good luck with your new gear
though.

Try this one. If that doesn't work I will use DB.
...and my house is behind the trees to the middle left of the shot.
https://adobe.ly/2oDpKWt

Rain can do nice things to a dessert...
--
teleportation kills
Old April 17th 17, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 16/04/2017 13:43, wrote:
[]
I'm just starting to look for a good camera. What smaller and lighter
mirrorless are you referring to. It sounds like it may be just what I
want.

I have the Panasonic GX7:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pan...-lumix-dmc-gx7

with a selection of lenses: 14-140 mm zoom (general purpose) 9-18 mm, 9
mm "body-cap" fisheye, all in my carry-round bag. I like the g=fact
that you're not tied to one lens supplier.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/oly...9-18-4-5p6-o20
https://www.dpreview.com/products/ol.../olympus_m_9_8

It includes flash adequate for fill-in, but no GPS. It has a "silent"
mode making it as discrete as you need, and a swivel viewfinder. Newer
versions are available but I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade.
Image quality is excellent!
--
Cheers,
David
Old April 18th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 12:19:21 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 16/04/2017 13:43, wrote:
[]
I'm just starting to look for a good camera. What smaller and lighter
mirrorless are you referring to. It sounds like it may be just what I
want.

I have the Panasonic GX7:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pan...-lumix-dmc-gx7

with a selection of lenses: 14-140 mm zoom (general purpose) 9-18 mm, 9
mm "body-cap" fisheye, all in my carry-round bag. I like the g=fact
that you're not tied to one lens supplier.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/oly...9-18-4-5p6-o20
https://www.dpreview.com/products/ol.../olympus_m_9_8

It includes flash adequate for fill-in, but no GPS. It has a "silent"
mode making it as discrete as you need, and a swivel viewfinder. Newer
versions are available but I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade.
Image quality is excellent!

Thank you. Close enough to what I want to merit serious attention. I
have one more question perhaps you can answer.How are these in low
light? I notice mirrorless cameras seem to have somewhat slow lens
compared to premium compacts. The Canon G7x ii, for example, is a 4.2X
zoom with a 1.8 to 2.8 lens, while Pany is a 3.5 to 5.6. The Canon has
a sensor almost 1/4th the size, so can you think of the sensor as 2
stops slower but the lens is 2 stops faster, so it's a wash and low
light performance is similar? Of course, mirrorless has
interchangebale lens, but are they any better in low light? Thanks in
advance.
Old April 18th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 18/04/2017 16:50, wrote:
[]
Thank you. Close enough to what I want to merit serious attention. I
have one more question perhaps you can answer.How are these in low
light? I notice mirrorless cameras seem to have somewhat slow lens
compared to premium compacts. The Canon G7x ii, for example, is a 4.2X
zoom with a 1.8 to 2.8 lens, while Pany is a 3.5 to 5.6. The Canon has
a sensor almost 1/4th the size, so can you think of the sensor as 2
stops slower but the lens is 2 stops faster, so it's a wash and low
light performance is similar? Of course, mirrorless has
interchangebale lens, but are they any better in low light? Thanks in
advance.

As you say, in theory, when photon-noise limited, to get the same
signal-to-noise on the smaller sensor you need the same number of
photons, which means the same physical lens aperture area.

If you need the absolute best low-light performance, it's a full-frame
DSLR (or bigger!) with a wide-aperture lens. For MFT you can get f/1.2
45 mm, and several f/1.4 or 1.7 lenses. Oh, and two f/0.95 but at what
cost?

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html

You may find the Panasonic sold with their 20 mm f/1.7 "pancake" lens,
which makes for a very compact and yet sensitive arrangement:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microf...17_2_panasonic

In practice, I've not found it an issue for indoor photography, but what
does "low-light" mean to you?

--
Cheers,
David
Old April 18th 17, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-18 16:29:47 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 18/04/2017 16:50, wrote:
[]
[...]

That is the first question one should ask, then build a system to meet
that. However, if for you low light/high ISO shooting is an occasional
event rather than regular need, then it is going to much better to
build a system around your primary shooting need. If you have the base
system with a good performing sensor, then adding a fast lens or two
can serve for low light and other shooting.

If you are trying to shoot racoons and other critters by moon, or
starlight you will need to spend some money, probably on something such
as a D500, or a FF DSLR and some fast expensive glass.

Some of the mirrorless systems provide very good low light and high ISO
performance. Personally I am not in the 4/3 camp now that I have bought
into the Fujifilm X-Series with their APS-C cameras, starting with the
X-E2 and now the X-T2. I have the XF35mm f/1.4 which performs well in
low light, and the high ISO performance with both cameras is
surprising, so much so it is almost a game to see how far one can push
things, even with a slower lens. For example, as an experiment about 2
hours after I had unboxed and set up the new X-T2, I shot this with no
lighting with the XF55-200 f/3.5-4.8 OIS handheld, 1/20 @ f/5.6 at
ISO6400. So generally all of my Fujinon glass does quite well when
pushed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xukkofx2mtrjzox/_DSF0056.jpg

Savageduck