Anyone have experience with the Arca Swiss P0 ballhead?

Old March 27th 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Anyone have experience with the Arca Swiss P0 ballhead?

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/arca-swiss-monoball-p0-ballhead

-hh
Old March 27th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 27, 2017, hh wrote
(in ):

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...ll-p0-ballhead

-hh

That is an interesting ballhead concept, but a bit on the rich side of $350
for a travel setup. I would say that it is going to depend on your budget and
the tripod it will be mounted on, and the camera/lens combo to be mounted.
There are other lightweight ballheads which will do the job quite well,
especially when there are some very good travel tripod/ballhead combos which
will cost less than that ballhead.

https://www.manfrotto.us/befree-carb...d-w-ball-head-
black
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024704-
REG/sirui_bsret2204_carbon_fiber_tripod.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/864569-
REG/oben_ct_3561_be_117t_5_section_foldable_carbon.htm l

Then for ballheads you can’t go too far wrong with Really Right Stuff, good
quality and made in my neighborhood.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Ballheads

Savageduck

Old March 27th 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
-hh wrote:

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...ll-p0-ballhead

So it's one of them upsidedown ball heads. The basic design's very
visible on the "Novoflex Magicball". What do you wanna do with it?

http://www.vistaview360.com/cameras/...novoflex_image
s/novoflex-BH-mini.jpg
--
teleportation kills
Old March 27th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Savageduck wrote:
On Mar 27, 2017, hh wrote:

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...ll-p0-ballhead

That is an interesting ballhead concept, but a bit on the
rich side of $350 for a travel setup.

Agreed, it is an interesting design.

I would say that it is going to depend on your budget and
the tripod it will be mounted on, and the camera/lens combo
to be mounted.

Understood. I'm looking at a head for a Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer;
which is a light CF set with an 11 lbs load rating. The primary
use for the tripod & head is hikes to waterfalls, using a Canon
7D body & wide angle lens ...

.... but I'm also looking to some double-duty to also use it as
my second tripod/camera setup for this August's Solar Eclipse,
which would swap out the wide angle lens for a heavier lens,
specifically my 70-200mm f/2.8, probably with a 1.4x, which
weighs out at 5.8lbs (roughly half the leg's load rating).

There are other lightweight ballheads which will do the
job quite well, especially when there are some very good
travel tripod/ballhead combos which will cost less than
that ballhead.

https://www.manfrotto.us/befree-carb...d-w-ball-head-
black
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024704-
REG/sirui_bsret2204_carbon_fiber_tripod.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/864569-
REG/oben_ct_3561_be_117t_5_section_foldable_carbon.htm l

Then for ballheads you can’t go too far wrong with
Really Right Stuff, good quality and made in my neighborhood.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Ballheads

I've looked at the RRS BH-25 as an alternative as well,
although it doesn't feature a panning system, so it
would end up being more.

I've also thought about moving my Benro B2 head over onto
this tripod and biting the bullet for a full Gimbal Head
for my bigger 400mm setup, but that's probably a bridge too
far right now, as I'm not really doing enough birding-style
stuff to make it worthwhile.

-hh

Savageduck

Old March 29th 17, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 11:17:19 AM UTC-4, android wrote:
-hh wrote:

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...ll-p0-ballhead

So it's one of them upsidedown ball heads. The basic design's very
visible on the "Novoflex Magicball". What do you wanna do with it?

As I mentioned to SD, trying to split use between a lightweight
hiking setup and this summer's solar eclipse to hold a 70-200.

http://www.vistaview360.com/cameras/...novoflex_image
s/novoflex-BH-mini.jpg

....in looking at this, it looks like I should have mentioned
that I'd want to have an Arca Swiss style QR plate too...

-hh
Old March 29th 17, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

-hh wrote:

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...ll-p0-ballhead

So it's one of them upsidedown ball heads. The basic design's very
visible on the "Novoflex Magicball". What do you wanna do with it?

As I mentioned to SD, trying to split use between a lightweight
hiking setup and this summer's solar eclipse to hold a 70-200.

http://www.vistaview360.com/cameras/...novoflex_image
s/novoflex-BH-mini.jpg

...in looking at this, it looks like I should have mentioned
that I'd want to have an Arca Swiss style QR plate too...

-hh

An Arca Swiss style QR plate can be had for far less than Arca Swiss is
going to charge. I just can't see having $500+ invested in a ballhead
and QR plate when the same function, with reasonable quality can be had
for considerably less.

Savageduck

Old March 29th 17, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

-hh wrote:

[...]

True. I got a bunch of clamps similar tothese to put on less
critical legacy gear (pardon the pun...):

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272338802237

Not at all the fit or finish like the Sunwayfoto one that came
with the ditto head that I put on my recently aquired Benro legs
mostly though.
--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old March 29th 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

-hh wrote:

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...ll-p0-ballhead

So it's one of them upsidedown ball heads. The basic design's very
visible on the "Novoflex Magicball". What do you wanna do with it?

As I mentioned to SD, trying to split use between a lightweight
hiking setup and this summer's solar eclipse to hold a 70-200.

http://www.vistaview360.com/cameras/...novoflex_image
s/novoflex-BH-mini.jpg

...in looking at this, it looks like I should have mentioned
that I'd want to have an Arca Swiss style QR plate too...

An Arca Swiss style QR plate can be had for far less than Arca
Swiss is going to charge...

True. I got a bunch of clamps similar to these to put on less
critical legacy gear ...

True, going with a generic instead of a genuine Arca Swiss plate
will be $15-$20 instead of $50 each ... but that's also why I
said "Arca Swiss -- style -- QR plate".

In any event, I should have simply made it more clear that my
current setup already uses the Arca Swiss style interface,
and I want this new setup to use this too.

For more on the head, perhaps another way to ask the question
would be to note that I'm fine with my Benro triple action B2.
So other than the likes of a smaller/lighter/cheaper B0 or B1,
what's generally comparable to the B2 (including the plate)
that may be lighter without being substantially less capable
and/or more expensive?

-hh
Old March 29th 17, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-27 15:28:52 +0000, -hh said:

Savageduck wrote:
On Mar 27, 2017, hh wrote:

Was just reading through this review ... sounds fairly
promising for a lightweight ballhead. Thoughts?

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/pho...-monoball-p0-b

allhead

[...]

The RRS BH-30 would probably be better.

I've also thought about moving my Benro B2 head over onto
this tripod and biting the bullet for a full Gimbal Head
for my bigger 400mm setup, but that's probably a bridge too
far right now, as I'm not really doing enough birding-style
stuff to make it worthwhile.

For my heavy tripod I have a Manfrotto 3021B Pro with a Slik 800
ballhead, and that ballhead is no lightweight at 1.7 Lbs (780 g).

I also have a Slik Carbon Fiber Pro 814, which originally came with the
S800 ballhead. I have since replaced that head with a cheapie Pergear
TH3 ballhead which has dropped the weight and does a surprisingly good
job.
http://www.tripodstore.net/pergearheavy-duty-photography-camera-tripod-ball-head-360-degree-fluid-rotation-tripod-ballhead-for-dslr-camera-quick-release-plate/
or
http://tinyurl.com/mcr2woo

am also considering buying a truly lightweight and compact travel
tripod/ballhead combo, with the Manfrotto BeFree, the Sirui, or the
Oben CT3561 in mind.

Savageduck

Old March 30th 17, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

-hh wrote:

[...]

Never research that. I have an old Leitz mini ball on my old Totalux and
I put one of those clamps on that combo. Works fine with the EOS M, but
it's not very tall.
--
teleportation kills