More computer weirdness

Old March 23rd 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default More computer weirdness

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:51:30 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

My computer froze up, which isn't normal, it's never done it in 3 years. So, rebooted and...my desktop was "molested." Background image gone, most of the folders, settings in programs. Went and looked at "E" (Storage) drive and saw a slew of stuff missing. Did some searches, oh well, nothing much to do but rebuild, because (surprise, surprise) no restore points existed. So I rebuilt the desktop, to a point. New desktop. Did virus scans as well, nothing showing. Worked with it for 2 days. Came home after an hour on the 3rd day, computer was not sending a video signal to the monitor. So I rebooted...original desktop came back, everything as it was prior to the disappearance.

This sort of thing has happened to me, and I simply rebooted a second
time - or even a 3d time. That most often fixed the problem. Try that
first next time. If it keeps happening, though, you probably have
something failing, possibly memory. BTW, by reboot, I mean power it
off, and wait a bit before restarting.
Old March 23rd 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

This is about as weird as the story recently about Muons flipping bits and altering huges amounts of data, the smaller the electronics get, the more it happens.

It is weird, but your exact problem has happened to me many times -
well at least the scrambled/missing desktop. I think it's always
happened with Win 10, but I believe rebooting - or re-rebooting -
always fixed it. Windows is amazing, but rarely in a good way...
Old March 23rd 17, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

The missing desktop is odd, but the disappearance of files on a storage drive and then their re-appearance is very odd.

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.
Old March 24th 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I would be very concerned about that. It sounds like it could be a drive
about ready to fail. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

It's possible that when the drive spun up, the moon, stars, and planets
aligned just right, and the head was a little bit off. (More likely due
to room temp and minor electrical variation.) The next time the drive
spun up, the head found the right spot.

--
Ken Hart

Old March 31st 17, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/23/2017 12:10 AM, Bill W wrote:

snip

missing desktop is odd, but the disappearance of files on a storage
drive and then their re-appearance is very odd.

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.

if you think ti's bad now, wait until Your ISP starts selling tor
personal information. I can hear them know. "I have nothing to hide."
Smart folk are already working on privacy protectors.

--
PeterN
Old March 31st 17, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.

if you think ti's bad now, wait until Your ISP starts selling tor
personal information. I can hear them know. "I have nothing to hide."
Smart folk are already working on privacy protectors.

that's how google and others make their money.
Old March 31st 17, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 3/31/2017 1:34 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.

if you think ti's bad now, wait until Your ISP starts selling tor
personal information. I can hear them know. "I have nothing to hide."
Smart folk are already working on privacy protectors.

that's how google and others make their money.
I\

Irrelevant. Google is not an ISP.
There is no expectoration of privacy with Google. Read the terms of use.

--
PeterN
Old March 31st 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.

if you think ti's bad now, wait until Your ISP starts selling tor
personal information. I can hear them know. "I have nothing to hide."
Smart folk are already working on privacy protectors.

that's how google and others make their money.
I\

Irrelevant. Google is not an ISP.
There is no expectoration of privacy with Google. Read the terms of use.

"expectoration of privacy"??? :-)

Savageduck

Old March 31st 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.

if you think ti's bad now, wait until Your ISP starts selling tor
personal information. I can hear them know. "I have nothing to hide."
Smart folk are already working on privacy protectors.

that's how google and others make their money.

Irrelevant. Google is not an ISP.

they're still selling your info, and making quite a bit of money doing
so.

There is no expectoration of privacy with Google. Read the terms of use.

i must have missed the clause where google can expectorate.
Old April 3rd 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 3/31/2017 1:28 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/23/2017 12:10 AM, Bill W wrote:

snip

missing desktop is odd, but the disappearance of files on a storage
drive and then their re-appearance is very odd.

I can't even remember if that's happened to me. Technology has been
very unkind to me recently. It's something new, and I don't like it at
all. Very time consuming.

if you think ti's bad now, wait until Your ISP starts selling tor
personal information. I can hear them know. "I have nothing to hide."
Smart folk are already working on privacy protectors.

I've noticed your absence lately. Hope you and the Mrs. are OK.