what type of memeory card should I buy

Old February 28th 17, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tim...

Default what type of memeory card should I buy

Now I'm looking to update my camera, I shall need some new memory cards as I
have no SDHC cards.

so which type do I buy?

Let's take SanDisk 16GB as an example,

I seem to be able to get:

Ultra 80 MB/s for 6 pounds
Extreme 60 MB/s for 14.00 pounds
or Extreme Plus 90 MB/s for 30 pounds [1]

what are my extra beer tokens getting me here?

I just take single shots, I won't be taking video or multi frames

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheapest format?

TIA

[1] that over the counter prices at a retail store, I'm suspect that I can
get better @ mail order, but prefer the security of physical purchases.

Old February 28th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tim...
wrote:

Now I'm looking to update my camera, I shall need some new memory cards as I
have no SDHC cards.

so which type do I buy?

Let's take SanDisk 16GB as an example,

I seem to be able to get:

Ultra 80 MB/s for 6 pounds
Extreme 60 MB/s for 14.00 pounds
or Extreme Plus 90 MB/s for 30 pounds [1]

what are my extra beer tokens getting me here?

faster read/write speeds.

for some cameras and shooting situations, it will make a difference,
for others it won't.

faster cards are also an advantage when copying photos from the card to
a computer.
Old February 28th 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"tim..." wrote:

Now I'm looking to update my camera, I shall need some new memory cards as I
have no SDHC cards.

so which type do I buy?

Let's take SanDisk 16GB as an example,

I seem to be able to get:

Ultra 80 MB/s for 6 pounds
Extreme 60 MB/s for 14.00 pounds
or Extreme Plus 90 MB/s for 30 pounds [1]

what are my extra beer tokens getting me here?

I just take single shots, I won't be taking video or multi frames

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheapest format?

Faster cards means that your buffer will last longer if you shoot in
sequences, if your new camera supports the full writing speed. You might
wanna consider larger cards then that that you mentioned so that you
don't have to swap in the field that often...
--
teleportation kills
Old February 28th 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nan

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Now I'm looking to update my camera, I shall need some new memory cards as I
have no SDHC cards.

so which type do I buy?

Let's take SanDisk 16GB as an example,

I seem to be able to get:

Ultra 80 MB/s for 6 pounds
Extreme 60 MB/s for 14.00 pounds
or Extreme Plus 90 MB/s for 30 pounds [1]

what are my extra beer tokens getting me here?

I just take single shots, I won't be taking video or multi frames

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheapest format?

TIA

[1] that over the counter prices at a retail store, I'm suspect that I can
get better @ mail order, but prefer the security of physical purchases.

I think I'd argue that if the need for the faster cards
isn't already obvious to you, then the less expensive
Ultra is more than good enough. And, you say you'll just
be taking single shots, so you could probably get by with
even slower, less expensive cards without noticing any
difference. Make sure it's class 10 (10MB/s) or better and
you should be fine until you start shooting high-res video
or long high-speed continuous bursts.
Old February 28th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-02-28 22:20:34 +0000, RichA said:

On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 12:43:40 UTC-5, tim... wrote:
Now I'm looking to update my camera, I shall need some new memory cards a

s I
have no SDHC cards.

so which type do I buy?

Let's take SanDisk 16GB as an example,

I seem to be able to get:

Ultra 80 MB/s for 6 pounds
Extreme 60 MB/s for 14.00 pounds
or Extreme Plus 90 MB/s for 30 pounds [1]

what are my extra beer tokens getting me here?

I just take single shots, I won't be taking video or multi frames

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheapest format?

TIA

[1] that over the counter prices at a retail store, I'm suspect that I ca

get better @ mail order, but prefer the security of physical purchases.

I just bought a Lexar Pro 1000x 150MB/s 32G card for about $30.00. Definit
ely notice a difference from the 45-85MB/s cards I've used. Best Buy had i
t. Sandisk tends to be on the costlier side, but other manufacturers do a
good job, like Sony, Kingston, etc.

In the past I have used SanDisk and Lexar "UHS-I" SDHC cards in the
80MB/s range, and have found that there are write/buffer issues with
cameras shooting larger RAW, or RAW+JPEG files. Now I only use those in
the SD slot in my D300S for overflow from a full CF card, or if I have
an emergency need.
For the past 2 years I have been using Lexar "UHS-II" Pro 1000 150MB/s
32GB list @ $30 and Pro 2000 300MB/s 32GB list @ $80. The difference to
camera performance is very obvious, especially when using EVF cameras.

Amazon currently has the Pro 1000 32GB available in a two pack bundle
for $49.99 (making them $25 ea.) and the Pro 32GB (w/USB 3.0 reader)
for $54.95. Both deals are true bargains.

Savageduck

Old March 1st 17, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
tim...

"android" wrote in message
"tim..." wrote:

Now I'm looking to update my camera, I shall need some new memory cards
as I
have no SDHC cards.

so which type do I buy?

Let's take SanDisk 16GB as an example,

I seem to be able to get:

Ultra 80 MB/s for 6 pounds
Extreme 60 MB/s for 14.00 pounds
or Extreme Plus 90 MB/s for 30 pounds [1]

what are my extra beer tokens getting me here?

I just take single shots, I won't be taking video or multi frames

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheapest format?

Faster cards means that your buffer will last longer if you shoot in
sequences, if your new camera supports the full writing speed. You might
wanna consider larger cards then that that you mentioned so that you
don't have to swap in the field that often...

well I don't know how much bigger the images will be with a new camera. (I
realise that with 24 megapixels raw images will be larger the my current 6,
but don't know about processed images)

At the moment I have a 2 GB card, as that was the largest reasonably
available at the time, and I never fill it in week of shooting, let alone
one day

I always chose to save in a medium jpg format, as I have to store them after
they have been downloaded from the camera and it is easier to let the camera
do the conversion

tim

Old March 1st 17, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"tim..." wrote:

"android" wrote in message
"tim..." wrote:

[...]

Well, this is an advanced group and we expect you to use RAW or DIE! ;-))
--
teleportation kills
Old March 1st 17, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 28/02/2017 23:10, Savageduck wrote:
On 2017-02-28 22:20:34 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

Why does an EVF make a difference?

--
Cheers, Rob
Old March 1st 17, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-02-28 22:20:34 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

If the camera only have one processor then I/O would have to share with
the EVF (or live view if it's in use).
--
teleportation kills
Old March 1st 17, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-02-28 22:20:34 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

It is more of an issue with the earlier mirrorless cameras with EVF
where a slow SD card write speed contributes to a slow to empty buffer
resulting in EVF blackout. This together with the EVF refresh rate has
been an issue with earlier EVFs when compared with OVFs and DSLR, which
have a similar, but less impactful issue with mirror blackout. This can
be problematic when shooting bracketed shots or when shooting bursts at
high frame rates. This was an issue with my X-E2 when using slow cards,
it is not so apparent with 150MB/s or 300MB/s cards. This is less of an
issue with newer mirrorless cameras such as the X-T2 where the EVF
blackout is imperceptible.

Savageduck