Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains this week

Old February 13th 17, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Jeff Liebermann

Default Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains this week

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:41:54 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:43:48 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 05:00:31 -0500, micky
wrote:

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/k...5_1280x720.jpg

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

Temporary concrete "Jersey" highway barriers:
http://www.belson.com/Concrete-Security-Barriers-Highway
It's a convenient place to anchor the tarps. However, putting all
that weight on a crumbling roadway does not seem like a good idea.

No, it doesn't.

No, it doesn't what? Doesn't anchor the tarps or doesn't seem like a
good idea? Please eschew posting ambiguous obfuscations.

Maybe the idea is to be sure it takes the plastic down
the hill when the road gives way.

Nope. Might be a trampoline to catch erratically driven vans trying
to jump the gap. Hard to tell, but it does look like a fun ride.

Did you or someone imply that some pictures on the web had location data
that you or I could extract? And then go to the place.

Guilty as charged. That was me.

Most web photos do NOT have EXIF information. I use Irfanview for
photo editing. It also has an EXIF viewer and editor built in with
links to various mapping sites.
http://www.irfanview.com
You'll need both the program and the plugins. Save the image to your
machine, feed it to Irfanview, hit "I" (for information), and you can
figure out the rest. I couldn't find a decent video or tutorial so
here's what it should look like:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/EXIF%20Info.jpg
Use the buttons at the bottom for mapping. Enjoy. Incidentally,
that's how everyone found out that John McAfee was in Belize. He
posted some photos with the EXIF info was not removed and that
included the location data. Oops.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 13th 17, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:41:56 +0100, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:28 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Stijn De Jong
wrote:

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

i doubt he was attempting to cross it. more likely he was not paying
any attention and only realized it when it was too late.

It's always possible that the hole got there after the van did.

Yes... It could have been an occurrence of an unscheduled twist in the
time space continuum. The boss gets vimy occasionally! ;-))

I wrote that before I realised that I was near the top of a long
thread. Lower down I read the actual explanation. Nevertheless I may
have been partly right. It could have been that the first time he
crossed that section of the road it was covered with flowing mud. When
he came back he again thought the road was (as he said) covered with
mud but by then it was a hole.

Eric Stevens
Old February 13th 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 18:01:02 +0100, android wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 2/13/2017 4:46 AM, android wrote:
In article ,

On 2017-02-12 19:42:26 +0000, said:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 18:27:18 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong
wrote:

These are real photos taken this very week of what's going on in the
mountains where Jeff Liebermann lives due to the Pineapple Express
dropping
unheard of rain in California (drought my ass!).

Highway 17 landslide turns car over, blocks both lanes, and cleanup
crew
killed.
http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg

Hole in Skyline along the crest of the mountain ridge above the San
Andreas
Fault opened up this week.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

No middle ground there? Flood or drought, it seems.

Add earthquake, fire, and landslides.

Three of the reasons my wife would not consider a move there. Although
she hate cold weather, she would sooner put up with an occasional snow
in.

Updated daily, more or less:

http://www.smhi.se/vadret/vadret-i-sverige/snodjup

Även om Sverige är ett vackert land, var det inte anges som en plats som
vi skulle överväga att flytta till. (Jag hoppas att min mening var inte
förlorat i översättningen.)

Goog trans:

"Although Sweden is a beautiful country, it was not specified as a place
that we would consider moving to. (I hope my meaning was not lost in
translation.)"

Fair warning given then...

Ain't Google great.

Babble fish had the technology before them...

And it was well named.

Eric Stevens
Old February 14th 17, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

But it didn't do back translations as well. Around 1993 or 1994, I was
asked if I want to be project manager on a machine translation project.
using speech recognition. I turned it down because I did not think the
project had inadequate financing. They never really got off the ground.

--
PeterN
Old March 9th 17, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
David Lesher

Hey Jeff:

I thought of you while on the Wet Coast last month.

I was in Sandy Eggo, where it was 51F and dreary, while warm and sunny
on the East Coast.

Then I was tipped to http://www.sccroadclosure.org/ -- at the
time I saw almost every road I knew of listed, save Freedom
Blvd, and Fern Flat - but that's private.

I also saw a picture of a
http://testsanat.com/fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/6-testsanat.jpg
on a far steeper slope, maybe along 9.

I skipped your area & flew to SEATAC via Sacramento; there was
miles of flooded farmland visible.

But the worst indignity was 27 Feb: I left the [MUST SEE] Museum
of Flight, and realized I could not see the bus stop midst the
snow... and I-5 was closed both ways from a propane tanker
sidewise...

I got back to BWI; and it was 80 on Wed.

{not to beat up on Jeff; I like visiting Santa Cruz/Aptos/etc. But..}

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 9th 17, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-03-09 17:36:10 +0000, David Lesher said:

Hey Jeff:

Hello Nymshifter.

Now go away.

Savageduck

Old March 9th 17, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
nospam

On 2017-03-09 17:36:10 +0000, David Lesher said:

Hey Jeff:

Hello Nymshifter.

Now go away.

false hit.
Old March 9th 17, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
John Robertson

On 2017/02/12 10:32 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Stijn De Jong
wrote:

Why people in vans even think to attempt a crossing is beyond me.
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg

i doubt he was attempting to cross it. more likely he was not paying
any attention and only realized it when it was too late.

Or the road just collapsed out from under him. It was a landslide, and
if it was raining hard (or night) he (or she) may have had no warning at
all.

John