US Patent Office Grants 'Photography Against White Background' PatentTo Amazon

Old May 27th 14, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

Default US Patent Office Grants 'Photography Against White Background' PatentTo Amazon

Patent Office Grants 'Photography Against White Background' Patent To Amazon

Taking a photo against a white background? You may owe Amazon money.
That's right: the US Patent and Trademark Office just granted Amazon a
patent for the totally unheard of process of photographing people
against a white backdrop. And we thought copyright trolls couldn't get
more brazen.

Another article: http://goo.gl/J7FWtj

Actual US Patent: http://goo.gl/GsBCuY

http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/4634?share_ref=DxA-dDyso3c

20,758 signatures of 100,000

--
WTF!
Old May 27th 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-27 17:18:19 +0000, Usenet Account said:

Patent Office Grants 'Photography Against White Background' Patent To Amazon

Taking a photo against a white background? You may owe Amazon money.
That's right: the US Patent and Trademark Office just granted Amazon a
patent for the totally unheard of process of photographing people
against a white backdrop. And we thought copyright trolls couldn't get
more brazen.

Another article: http://goo.gl/J7FWtj

Actual US Patent: http://goo.gl/GsBCuY

http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/4634?share_ref=DxA-dDyso3c

20,758 signatures of 100,000

I am sure you checked the filing date on that Patent filing. This is
news that is 2½ years late.
" Filed:
November 9, 2011"

....and I have yet to read where this was actually granted.

You might also have noted the filing for the *original cocept* was back
in 2003.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...DN/20030206735

http://tinyurl.com/p7nbfpo

Savageduck

Old May 27th 14, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

On 27/05/2014 3:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-05-27 17:18:19 +0000, Usenet Account said:

[...]

The final patent was granted: March 18, 2014

United States Patent 8,676,045
Sawatzky , et al. March 18, 2014

--
Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they
do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under
Old May 27th 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 2014-05-27 17:18:19 +0000, Usenet Account
said:

[...]

USPTO now has a global reputation somewhere below a slime ball along
with the patent trolls that they and certain dodgy US states facilitate.

They will grant a patent for the blindingly obvious whilst ignoring any
and all prior art provided that the applicants dollars are green and
supplied to them in sufficient quantity.

I am pretty sure what Amazon describe in their "invention" has been
common practice in the industrial and commercial photography business
since colour film was invented and maybe even before that!

Still it only affects suckers in the USA who had better watch their step
if using a white background for photography in the future.

Martin Brown
Old May 27th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

On 27/05/2014 4:00 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/05/2014 20:49, Usenet Account wrote:

The final patent was granted: March 18, 2014

United States Patent 8,676,045
Sawatzky , et al. March 18, 2014

USPTO now has a global reputation somewhere below a slime ball along
with the patent trolls that they and certain dodgy US states facilitate.

They will grant a patent for the blindingly obvious whilst ignoring any
and all prior art provided that the applicants dollars are green and
supplied to them in sufficient quantity.

I am pretty sure what Amazon describe in their "invention" has been
common practice in the industrial and commercial photography business
since colour film was invented and maybe even before that!

Still it only affects suckers in the USA who had better watch their step
if using a white background for photography in the future.

We should all post white background images online, taken prior to the
date the patent was granted (March 18, 2014). Unless the USPTO has
granted Amazon with retroactive protection.

--
WTF!
Old May 28th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 27 May 2014 12:17:45 -0700, Savageduck

Old May 28th 14, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-27 17:18:19 +0000, Usenet Account said:

[...]

From where do you get all this [QUOTED TEXT] stuff?

The only text stuff I quoted is found in the November filing (the OSPO
link was provided) and that was "Filed: November 9, 2011" and is
correctly contained by " ".
It is easy enough for anybody to find.

Savageduck

Old May 28th 14, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-27 17:18:19 +0000, Usenet Account said:

[...]

From where do you get all this [QUOTED TEXT] stuff?

The only text stuff I quoted is found in the November filing (the OSPO
link was provided) and that was "Filed: November 9, 2011" and is
correctly contained by " ".
It is easy enough for anybody to find.

....er, USPO.

Savageduck

Old May 28th 14, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-05-27 17:18:19 +0000, Usenet Account said:

[...]

From where do you get all this [QUOTED TEXT] stuff?

The only text stuff I quoted is found in the November filing (the OSPO
link was provided) and that was "Filed: November 9, 2011" and is
correctly contained by " ".
It is easy enough for anybody to find.

I found it. I accidentally hit a new (to me) in Agent and it hides all
the quoted text and substitutes [QUOTED TEXT]. It shortens a message
immensely without always making an argument harder to follow.

Eric Stevens
Old May 28th 14, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

http://goo.gl/GsBCuY, somebody along the way changed the URL to a non
related Tinyurl link.

*** FULL TEXT ****

( 1 of 1 )
United States Patent 8,676,045
Sawatzky , et al. March 18, 2014
Studio arrangement

Abstract

Disclosed are various embodiments of a studio arrangement and a method
of capturing images and/or video. One embodiment of the disclosure
includes a front light source aimed at a background, an image capture
position located between the background and the front light source, an
elevated platform positioned between the image capture position and the
background, and at least one rear light source positioned between the
elevated platform and the background. A subject can be photographed
and/or filmed on the elevated platform to achieve a desired effect of a
substantially seamless background where a rear edge of the elevated
platform is imperceptible to an image capture device positioned at the
image capture position.
Inventors: Sawatzky; Jeremy David (Seattle, WA), Porter; Christina L.
(Seattle, WA), Strauss; Jeff (Burlington, KY), Blank; Gil (Morris
Plains, NJ)
Applicant:
Name City State Country Type

Sawatzky; Jeremy David
Porter; Christina L.
Strauss; Jeff
Blank; Gil
Seattle
Seattle
Burlington
Morris Plains
WA
WA
KY
NJ
US
US
US
US
Assignee: Amazon Technologies, Inc. (Reno, NV)
Family ID: 50240412
Appl. No.: 13/292,359
Filed: November 9, 2011

Current U.S. Class: 396/3 ; 396/4; 396/5
Current CPC Class: G03B 15/00 (20130101); H04N 5/222 (20130101); G03B
15/02 (20130101)
Current International Class: G03B 15/00 (20060101); H04N 5/222
(20060101); G03B 15/02 (20060101)
Field of Search: ;396/1-5 ;348/722
References Cited [Referenced By]
U.S. Patent Documents

2003/0206735 November 2003 Saigo et al.
Primary Examiner: Blackman; Rochelle-Ann J
Attorney, Agent or Firm: Thomas | Horstemeyer, LLP
Claims

Therefore, the following is claimed:

1. A studio arrangement, comprising: a background comprising a white
cyclorama; a front light source positioned in a longitudinal axis
intersecting the background, the longitudinal axis further being
substantially perpendicular to a surface of the white cyclorama; an
image capture position located between the background and the front
light source in the longitudinal axis, the image capture position
comprising at least one image capture device equipped with an
eighty-five millimeter lens, the at least one image capture device
further configured with an ISO setting of about three hundred twenty and
an f-stop value of about 5.6; an elevated platform positioned between
the image capture position and the background in the longitudinal axis,
the front light source being directed toward a subject on the elevated
platform; a first rear light source aimed at the background and
positioned between the elevated platform and the background in the
longitudinal axis, the first rear light source positioned below a top
surface of the elevated platform and oriented at an upward angle
relative to a floor level; a second rear light source aimed at the
background and positioned between the elevated platform and the
background in the longitudinal axis, the second rear light source
positioned above the top surface of the elevated platform and oriented
at a downward angle relative to the floor level; a third rear light
source aimed at the background and positioned in a lateral axis
intersecting the elevated platform and being substantially perpendicular
to the longitudinal axis, the third rear light source further positioned
adjacent to a side of the elevated platform; and a fourth rear light
source aimed at the background and positioned in the lateral axis
adjacent to an opposing side of the elevated platform relative to the
third rear light source; wherein a top surface of the elevated platform
reflects light emanating from the background such that the elevated
platform appears white and a rear edge of the elevated platform is
substantially imperceptible to the image capture device; and the first
rear light source, the second rear light source, the third rear light
source, and the fourth rear light source comprise a combined intensity
greater than the front light source according to about a 10:3 ratio.

2. A studio arrangement, comprising: a background comprising a
cyclorama; a front light source positioned in a longitudinal axis
intersecting the background, the longitudinal axis further being
substantially perpendicular to a surface of the background; an image
capture position located between the background and the front light
source in the longitudinal axis; an elevated platform positioned at a
first distance from the elevated platform and between the image capture
position and the background along the longitudinal axis, the front light
source being directed toward the elevated platform; a first at least one
rear light source positioned between the elevated platform and the
background, the at least one rear light source directed towards the
background; a second at least one rear light source positioned in a
lateral axis intersecting the elevated platform and being substantially
perpendicular to the longitudinal axis; at least one light shield
positioned between the second at least one rear light source and the
elevated platform, the at least one light shield configured to shield
the elevated platform from light emitted directly from the second at
least one rear light source from lighting an upper surface of the
elevated platform; and wherein a top surface of the elevated platform
reflects light emanating from the background such that the elevated
platform appears a substantially similar color as the background and a
rear edge of the elevated platform is substantially imperceptible to an
image capture device positioned at the image capture position.

3. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the first distance is
about 4.5-5.5 times a height of the top surface of the elevated platform.

4. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the top surface of the
elevated platform is positioned about twenty-one inches above a floor level.

5. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the elevated platform is
positioned about nine feet from the background.

6. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the top surface of the
elevated platform further comprises a Poly(methyl methacrylate) surface.

7. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the cyclorama further
comprises a substantially white surface.

8. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the elevated platform
further comprises a reflective upper surface.

9. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the first at least one
rear light source and the second at least one rear light source further
comprise a plurality of light sources consuming about 40 kilowatts, the
plurality of light sources emitting light that is substantially evenly
distributed across the background.

10. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the first at least one
rear light source and the second at least one rear light source further
comprise a first intensity and the front light source comprises a second
intensity, wherein a ratio of the first intensity to the second
intensity is approximately 10:3.

11. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the front light source,
the first at least one rear light source and the second at least one
rear light source are configured to emit light having a substantially
similar color temperature.

12. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the first at least one
rear light source further comprises: a first rear light source
positioned between the elevated platform and the background in the
longitudinal axis, the first rear light source positioned below a height
of the elevated platform; and a second rear light source positioned
between the elevated platform and the background in the longitudinal
axis, the second rear light source positioned above a height of the
elevated platform.

13. The studio arrangement of claim 12, wherein the first rear light
source is further positioned on a floor beneath the elevated platform
and oriented at about an upward forty-five degree angle relative to the
floor.

14. The studio arrangement of claim 12, wherein the first rear light
source further comprises a ten kilowatt light source.

15. The studio arrangement of claim 12, wherein the second rear light
source is further positioned at a distance above the floor that is about
1.5-2.5 times the first distance and oriented at a downward forty-five
degree angle relative to the floor.

16. The studio arrangement of claim 12, wherein the second rear light
source further comprises a ten kilowatt light source.

17. The studio arrangement of claim 12, wherein the second at least one
rear light source comprises: a third rear light source positioned in a
lateral axis intersecting the elevated platform and being substantially
perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, the third rear light source
further positioned adjacent to a side of the elevated platform; and a
fourth rear light source positioned in the lateral axis adjacent to an
opposing side of the elevated platform.

18. The studio arrangement of claim 17, wherein the third rear light
source and fourth rear light source are oriented at about a forty-five
degree angle relative to the longitudinal axis.

19. The studio arrangement of claim 17, wherein the third rear light
source and the fourth rear light source are positioned at a distance
from the background that is about 0.5-1.0 times the first distance.

20. The studio arrangement of claim 17, wherein the third rear light
source and fourth rear light source further comprise a first five
kilowatt light source and a second five kilowatt light source.

21. The studio arrangement of claim 17, wherein the at least one light
shield further comprises: a first light shield positioned between the
third rear light source and the elevated platform, the first light
shield configured to prevent light emitted directly from the third rear
light source from lighting an upper surface of the elevated platform;
and a second light shield positioned between the fourth rear light
source and the elevated platform, the second light shield configured to
prevent light emitted directly from the fourth rear light source from
lighting the upper surface of the elevated platform.

22. The studio arrangement of claim 12, wherein the front light source
further comprises a twelve kilowatt light source positioned at a
distance from the elevated platform that is about two to three times the
first distance, the second rear light source further oriented at about a
five degree downward angle relative to a floor level.

23. The studio arrangement of claim 2, wherein the image capture
position is positioned at a distance from the elevated platform that is
about 2-2.5 times the first distance and at a height that is about 2-2.5
times a height of the top surface of the elevated platform, the image
capture position further oriented at about a five degree upward angle
relative to a floor level.

24. The studio arrangement of claim 23, wherein the image capture
position further comprises an image capture device.

25. A method, comprising: positioning a subject on an elevated platform
in a studio arrangement, the studio arrangement comprising a plurality
of rear light sources positioned behind the elevated platform and aimed
at a background behind the elevated platform, the background comprising
a cyclorama; activating the plurality of rear light sources, the
plurality of rear light sources comprising a plurality of light sources
being substantially evenly distributed over the background; activating a
front light source aimed at the subject, wherein an image capture
position is positioned between the front light source and the elevated
platform; initiating image capture in an image capture device positioned
at the image capture position; shielding the subject from light directly
emanating from the plurality of rear light sources onto the subject; and
wherein a top surface of the elevated platform reflects light emanating
from the background such that the elevated platform appears a
substantially similar color as the background and a rear edge of the
elevated platform is substantially imperceptible to the image capture
device.

26. The method of claim 25, further comprising the step of configuring
the image capture device with an ISO setting of 320 and an f-stop value
of approximately 5.6.

27. The method of claim 25, wherein the plurality of rear light sources
and the front light source further comprise a plurality of tungsten
light sources configured to emit light having a color temperature of
approximately 3200K.
Description

BACKGROUND

Items are often photographed and/or filmed in a studio environment and
the resultant images and/or video rendered on a display device
associated with a computing device. The resultant images and/or video
can also be used as promotional and/or informational collateral
associated with the items, which is also viewed on a display device.
Post-processing or retouching of images and/or video captured in a
studio environment can be time consuming and/or resource intensive,
particularly when a consistent look and feel is desired and the items
photographed in the studio environment are non-uniform.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

Many aspects of the present disclosure can be better understood with
reference to the following drawings. The components in the drawings are
not necessarily to scale, emphasis instead being placed upon clearly
illustrating the principles of the disclosure. Moreover, in the
drawings, like reference numerals designate corresponding parts
throughout the several views.

FIG. 1 is a top view of a studio arrangement according to various
embodiments of the present disclosure.

FIG. 2 is a side view of the studio arrangement of FIG. 1 according to
various embodiments of the present disclosure.

FIG. 3 is a flowchart illustrating a method of capturing an image in the
studio arrangement of FIGS. 1-2 according to various embodiments of the
present disclosure.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

Embodiments of the disclosure are directed to an arrangement of various
elements to form a studio in which items, people, products, clothing, or
any other objects can be photographed and/or filmed to achieve a
particular effect. More specifically, embodiments of the disclosure can
allow images and/or video of an item placed in a studio arrangement as
described herein to be captured with a background that appears, when
captured with an image capture device, as a near perfect white without
the need for post-processing, retouching, or other image manipulation.
In other words, images and video of items captured in the studio
arrangement appear against a background that is equivalent to a white
background when converted into a web color hexadecimal triplet
corresponding to a true white. A hexadecimal triplet corresponding to a
true white according to various browser standards, such as hypertext
markup language (HTML), cascading style sheets (CSS), and other
standards, can be represented by three bytes corresponding to a red
parameter, a green parameter, and a blue parameter, each with a maximum
value of 255. Additionally, embodiments of the disclosure also achieve
an effect, without any image manipulation, of an object photographed
and/or filmed in the studio arrangement that appears to be floating in
front of the true white background with a reflection of the object
appearing beneath the object.

Prior art solutions for achieving such a result for capturing images
and/or video of objects set against a true white background include
solutions that often involve some type of image retouching, post
processing, "green screen" techniques, or other special effects and
image and video manipulation to achieve the result of an object set
against a true white background. Accordingly, as will be described
herein, embodiments of the present disclosure provide a studio
arrangement in which an object can be photographed and/or filmed, and
the images and/or video captured by the camera achieve the effect noted
above without any image manipulation due to the particular arrangements
of the subject, camera, lighting and background.

With reference to FIGS. 1-2, shown is a studio arrangement 100 according
to various embodiments. FIG. 1 illustrates a top plan view of a studio
arrangement 100 according to an embodiment of the disclosure, and FIG. 2
illustrates a side view of the studio arrangement 100. As shown in FIG.
1, the studio arrangement 100 also includes an elevated platform 101 on
which a subject 104 can be positioned and be photographed and/or filmed
in front of a background 102. A subject 104 can comprise a model,
product, or any object desired to be photographed and/or filmed in the
studio arrangement 100 as appearing on a true white background. The
elevated platform 101 is configured with a top surface made of a
material that can include, but is not limited to a plastic, such as
Poly(methyl methacrylate), which is commonly known as "plexiglass,"
and/or any other materials that possess a degree of transparency as well
as reflectivity. Such a material produces an effect in images and/or
video of the subject 104 such that a reflection of the subject 104
appears beneath the subject 104, but where the top surface of the
elevated platform 101 blends seamlessly into a true white background.

Additionally, light reflecting off the background 102 and into an image
capture device positioned in the appropriate position in the studio
arrangement 100 causes the top surface of the elevated platform 101 to
likewise have a true white appearance. Also, a rear edge of the elevated
platform also appears imperceptible or not visible to the image capture
device due to the positioning, configuration, and orientation of the
various elements in the studio arrangement 100 as described below. It
should be appreciated that a background 102 of any color may be chosen
and due to the positioning of the various elements in the studio
arrangement 100, light emanating from the background 102 reflects off of
the top surface of the elevated platform 101, into an image capture
device positioned according to the disclosure, and causes the top
surface of the elevated platform 101 to appear the same color as the
background 102.

The elevated platform 101 can be positioned approximately nine feet from
the background 102, as measured from the center of the elevated platform
101, in a longitudinal axis 105 that intersects the elevated platform
101 and the background 102. A top surface of the elevated platform 101
is also elevated approximately twenty-one inches above the floor of the
studio arrangement 100 and has a depth of approximately four feet. In
other words, the elevated platform 101 is positioned at a distance that
is about 4.5-5.5 times the height of the top surface of the elevated
platform 101 from the floor of the studio arrangement 100.

The studio arrangement 100 also includes one or more rear light sources
aimed at the background and oriented in a particular manner that will be
described herein. At least a portion of the one or more rear light
sources is positioned between the background 102 and the elevated
platform 101 and intersects the longitudinal axis 105. The studio
arrangement also includes an image capture position 106 with an image
capture device that is positioned between the elevated platform 101 and
a front light source 107 aimed at the elevated platform 101 as well as
the background 102.

The image capture position 106 and the front light source 107 are also
positioned so that at least a portion of each intersects the
longitudinal axis 105. As depicted in FIG. 2, the background 102 can
comprise a cyclorama, or a curve, concave background. The use of a
cyclorama as the background 102 prevents an intersection of the floor
and back wall of the studio arrangement 100 from being visible in images
and/or video captured of the subject 104. The background 102 also
comprises a substantially white background, or one that can be
characterized by a hexadecimal triplet substantially corresponding to a
true white according to various browser standards as described above. An
outer light shield 108, such as curtains, a wall, and/or any type of
light barrier, can also enclose the studio arrangement 100 to prevent
ambient light from entering and altering the lighting conditions within
the studio arrangement 100.

The one or more rear light sources can be arranged in various angular
orientations and positions within the studio arrangement 100. In one
embodiment, the one or more rear light sources can comprise a plurality
of light sources aimed at the background 102 and away from the subject
104 such that a total of approximately forty kilowatts of tungsten light
sources having a color temperature of about 3200 kelvin (K) are
substantially evenly distributed across at least a portion of the
background 102 that is visible in images and/or video captured of the
subject 104. The arrangement of a plurality of rear light sources
depicted in FIGS. 1-2 illustrate one example of an arrangement of light
sources configured to approximately meet the above parameters. It should
be appreciated that various arrangements and positioning of light
sources can be chosen to meet the parameters of forty kilowatts of light
sources aimed at the background 102 in a substantially even distribution.

In the example illustrated in FIGS. 1-2, the one or more rear light
sources can comprise a first rear light source 115 and a second rear
light source 117 positioned adjacent to and behind the elevated platform
101. Referring to the side view of the studio arrangement 100 of FIG. 2,
the first rear light source 115 and second rear light source 117 are
vertically offset from one another. The first rear light source 115 is
positioned on or near a floor of the studio arrangement 100 and aimed at
the background 102. The first rear light source 115 can be oriented at
an upward forty-five degree angle (or other appropriate angle) relative
to the floor. The second rear light source 117, as depicted in FIG. 2,
is positioned above the elevated platform 101 and aimed at the
background. The second rear light source 117 can be oriented at a
downward forty-five degree angle (or other appropriate angle) relative
to the floor. In one embodiment, the second rear light source 117 is
positioned approximately one hundred ninety nine inches above the floor
of the studio arrangement 100. In other words, the second rear light
source 117 can be positioned at a height that is approximately 1.5-2.5
times the distance of the elevated platform 101 from the background 102.

The first rear light source 115 and second rear light source 117 are
positioned so that at least a portion of each is located within or near
the longitudinal axis 125. In one embodiment, the first rear light
source 115 and second rear light source 117 can comprise one or more
light sources that respectively total ten kilowatts of light sources
directed at the background 101. In the depicted example, the first rear
light source 115 and second rear light source 117 each comprise an array
of five two kilowatt tungsten studio lighting emitting light having a
color temperature of approximately 3200K.

The studio arrangement 100 also includes a third rear light source 119
and a fourth rear light source 121. In one embodiment, the third rear
light source 119 and fourth rear light source 121 comprise ten kilowatt
light sources positioned on opposing sides of the elevated platform 101
that are aimed at the background. In the depicted embodiment, the third
rear light source 119 and fourth rear light source 121 are positioned
such that at least a portion of each intersects or is near a lateral
axis 122 intersecting the elevated platform 101. The third rear light
source 119 and fourth rear light source 121, in some embodiments can
also be positioned behind and laterally offset from the elevated
platform 101 so long as they are aimed at the background 102.

As shown in FIG. 1, the third rear light source can comprise 119 two
five kilowatt tungsten studio lighting emitting light having a color
temperature of approximately 3200K. Similarly, the fourth rear light
source 121 two five kilowatt tungsten studio lighting sources emitting
light having a color temperature of approximately 3200K. In the depicted
embodiment, for each of the third rear light source 119 and fourth rear
light source 121, one of the five kilowatt studio lighting sources can
be positioned approximately sixty-six inches from the background, and
another can be positioned approximately seventy-eight inches from the
background. In other words, these light sources can be positioned such
that they are located a distance that is in a range of about 0.5-1.0
times the distance that the elevated platform 101 is located from the
background 102. The third rear light source 119 and fourth rear light
source 121 are also oriented at an approximately forty-five degree angle
relative to the longitudinal axis 125.

Additionally, the studio arrangement 100 includes a first light shield
131 and second light shield 133 that are positioned between elevated
platform 101 and the third rear light source 119 and fourth rear light
source 121, respectively. The first light shield 131 and second light
shield 133 are configured to prevent light emanating directly from the
third rear light source 119 and fourth rear light source 121 an onto the
elevated platform 101 and/or the subject 104 positioned on the elevated
platform 101. Accordingly, the first light shield 131 and second light
shield 133 can comprise an opaque barrier that prevents light from being
emitted from the third rear light source 119 and fourth rear light
source 121 to the elevated platform 101.

As shown in FIGS. 1-2, the studio arrangement 100 also comprises a front
light source 107 aimed at the elevated platform 101, the subject 104,
and the background 102. The front light source 107 can comprise a twelve
kilowatt studio lighting source emitting light with a color temperature
of approximately 3200K. The front light source is positioned, in the
depicted example, approximately six feet rearward of the image capture
position 106 at a height of approximately eighty-four inches relative to
the floor of the studio arrangement 100, or a height that is
approximately two to three times the height of the top surface of the
elevated platform 101 and is oriented at a downward angle of
approximately five degrees relative to the floor.

The image capture position 106 is the location in the studio arrangement
100 where an image capture device can be positioned for image and/or
video capture such that the desired effect described above is realized.
An image capture device can be stationed at the image capture position
106, which is positioned approximately nineteen feet from the rear of
the elevated platform 101, or at a distance from the elevated platform
101 that is about two to 2.5 times the distance that the elevated
platform 101 is positioned from the background 102. Accordingly, the
front light source 107 is positioned at a distance from the elevated
platform 101 that is about two to three times the distance that the
elevated platform 101 is positioned from the background 102. The image
capture position 106 is also positioned at a height that is about two to
2.5 times the height of the top surface of the elevated platform 101.
The image capture device can be oriented at an upward five degree angle
relative to the floor of the studio arrangement 100. Additionally, to
achieve the desired effect, an image capture device can be positioned at
a shooting distance from the subject 104 of approximately seventeen feet
(in the case of an object placed in the middle of the elevated platform
101), at a distance that is about twice the distance that the elevated
platform 101 is positioned from the background 102 and equipped with an
eighty five millimeter lens and configured with an International
Standards Organization (ISO) film speed setting of approximately 320 and
an aperture setting f-stop parameter of approximately 5.6.

Although one specific implementation of an embodiment of the disclosure
is disclosed herein, it should be appreciated that the desired effect
can be achieved by employing one or more rear light sources and one or
more front light where the ratio of the intensity of the rear light
sources to the front light source is approximately 10:3. For example, in
an alternative embodiment, rear light sources totaling four kilowatts
and a front light source that is 1.2 kilowatts can also be employed,
provided that the dimensions and distances of the various elements in
the studio arrangement 100 relative to one another are correspondingly
adjusted. Additionally, it is not necessary that tungsten lighting
emitting light having a color temperature of 3200K are employed as the
rear light sources and front light source so long as the color
temperature of the various light sources are the same or similar.

Accordingly, an image and/or video captured in the above studio
arrangement 100 with the above noted illustrative parameters can achieve
the desired effect of a true white background. Because of the use of a
cyclorama as the background 102, an intersection of a wall and floor is
not visible, as no such intersection exists. Additionally, the intensity
and positioning of the one or more rear light sources relative to the
elevated platform 101 and the background 102 achieves a substantially
even distribution of light across at least a portion a background 102
visible in an image and/or video captured at the image capture position
106. The reflection of the substantially even distribution of a total of
forty kilowatts of the rear light sources from the white background 102
cause the top surface of the elevated platform 101 to have a true white
appearance. Additionally, the rear light sources in combination with the
twelve kilowatt front light source 107 causes the rear edge of the
elevated platform 101 to effectively be invisible or imperceptible in a
captured image and/or video. Additionally, this combination of the
elevated platform 101, the described lighting and the background 102
cause a reflection of the subject 104 to appear on a true white
background. In other words, the subject 104 appears as if the subject
104 is floating in front of a true white background 104 and above a true
white and slightly reflective surface without any image manipulation,
retouching, special effects, or any other image post-processing.

Accordingly, images captured by an image capture device positioned at
the image capture position 106 can be published, without any
post-processing, and rendered by a browser in a web page, by a mobile
application, image viewer, or any other means for viewing imagery and
achieve the desired effect.

Referring next to FIG. 3, shown is a flowchart that provides one example
of a method of using the studio arrangement 100 (FIG. 1) according to
various embodiments. It is understood that the flowchart of FIG. 3
provides merely an example of the various ways in which a studio
arrangement 100 according to the present disclosure can be employed to
capture images and/or video of a subject 104 (FIG. 1) to achieve the
desired effect described above.

In step 303, the one or more rear light sources can be activated. As
described above, the one or more rear light sources can comprise a
plurality of light sources such that about forty kilowatts of tungsten
studio lighting emitting light with a color temperature of approximately
3200K is evenly distributed across a portion of the background 102. In
step 305, the front light source can be activated, which illuminates the
subject 104 on the elevated platform 101 with about twelve kilowatts of
tungsten studio lighting emitting light with a color temperature of
approximately 3200K. In other words, a ratio of the rear light sources
to the front light source can be approximately 10:3. In step 307, the
subject 104 can be positioned on the elevated platform 101 (FIG. 1). As
noted above, the subject 104 can include people, products, or any object
desired to be photographed or filmed in the studio arrangement 100 to
achieve the desired effect. In step 309, images and/or video of the
subject can be captured with an image capture device from the image
capture position 106 to achieve the desired effect described above.

It should be noted that angles, dimensions, distances, settings,
parameters, and other numerical data may or may not be expressed herein
in a range format. It is to be understood that the numerical data is
presented herein and used for convenience and brevity, and thus, should
be interpreted in a flexible manner to include not only the numerical
values explicitly recited as the only workable parameters, but also to
include all the individual numerical values that can be employed in a
studio arrangement 100 to achieve the desired effect discussed herein.
To illustrate, a distance expressed as "six feet" should be interpreted
to distances that are within a reasonable range of such a distance or
may vary significantly provided other parameters compensate to achieve
desired effects. Additionally, it should also be understood that
embodiments of the disclosure can also include equivalent arrangements
of elements in a studio that can also achieve a desired effect. For
example, while a particular non-limiting example of parameters related
to studio lighting may be recited, these parameters can be varied to
achieve the desired effect by modulating a distance in combination with
the wattage and/or color temperature of the studio lighting to achieve
an equivalent result. All such variations are intended to be within the
scope of the present disclosure. In embodiments of the disclosure, terms
such as "about," "approximately," and "substantially" can include
traditional rounding according to significant figures of the numerical
value.

It should be also noted that numerical data may be expressed herein in a
range format. It is to be understood that such a range format is used
for convenience and brevity, and thus, should be interpreted in a
flexible manner to include not only the numerical values explicitly
recited as the limits of the range, but also to include all the
individual numerical values or sub-ranges encompassed within that range
as if each numerical value and sub-range is explicitly recited. To
illustrate, a distance range of "one feet to two feet" should be
interpreted to include not only the explicitly recited range, but also
include individual distances (e.g., 1.2 feet, 1.3 feet, etc.) and
sub-ranges within the indicated range. In an embodiment, the term
"about" can include traditional rounding according to significant
figures of the numerical value. In addition, the phrase "about `x` to
`y`" includes "about `x` to about `y`".

It should be emphasized that the above-described embodiments of the
present disclosure are merely possible examples of implementations set
forth for a clear understanding of the principles of the disclosure.
Many variations and modifications may be made to the above-described
embodiment(s) without departing substantially from the spirit and
principles of the disclosure. All such modifications and variations are
intended to be included herein within the scope of this disclosure and
protected by the following claims.

* * * * *