Is this normal?

Old May 27th 14, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Is this normal?

On 2014-05-27 05:27:33 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 26/05/2014 22:41, PeterN wrote:
[]
What program do you use to convert video to still?

It's not something I've done for some time, Peter, but one of the
usual video editing or conversion programs. Perhaps from DivX
converter, or VLC Media Player or Virtual Dub or ....

I am sure it is possible to find an app to convert video to still. For
now the only information I can provide is that you can take VLC Media
Player *Snapshots* in JPEG or PNG at the set playback resolution.
With Quicktime Player you can select to view the frames and then make a
screen capture, but it is not exactly the best way of going about it.
LR5 can import a video and you can make a frame capture, as I did with
this iPhone 4S video. I am sure that with better technique and video
camera (my D300S perhaps) I might have got better quality.
Video:
https://db.tt/tGrhOtOx
LR5 Frame captu
https://db.tt/qhH9SsAL

Thanks to you and David. I will try it and play.

--
PeterN
Old May 27th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/26/2014 9:43 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:33:04 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:
: On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
: []
: OK thanks.
:
: Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
: the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.
:
:
: Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
: something even better.
:
: If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
: too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
: video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

Depends on your definition of "fun". When Martha and I had Canon P&Ses (much
more primitive ones than Philo's, to be sure), the shutter lag nearly drove us
batty. That's why we bought our first pair of DSLRs. All's well that ends
well, I guess.

That's that same reason I switched from my Coolpix to the D200. However
I converted the Coolpix to IR. It's OK for landscape.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/ir%20test%201.jpg

--
PeterN
Old May 28th 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: wrote:
: : On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
: : []
: : OK thanks.
: :
[...]

Sure; landscapes don't move much, even in infrared light. But grandchildren
do! :^)

One Thanksgiving, after we had switched to DSLRs, I lent my old P&S to one of
my granddaughters. (I think she was six at the time.) She got some pretty good
pictures. Everyone was ready to pose for her with a big smile.

Bob
Old May 28th 14, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

: wrote:
[...]

One of our disappointments in life is that our three grandchildren have
a total of twelve legs equally divided between them.

--
PeterN
Old May 28th 14, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2014-05-27 05:27:33 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

OH, so that's why we have only a couple of hummers here.... we have only
one large feeder..... time to go to Orchard Supply.....
Old May 28th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-27 05:27:33 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

At one period we had well over 100 hummers feeding, they were going
through 10 lbs of sugar a week. Mostly Anna's with a few Rufous mixed
in. With the change in season the numbers have dropped off to about 30
regulars.

Savageduck

Old May 29th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: : wrote:
: : : On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
: : : []
: : : OK thanks.
: : :
[...]

I totally understand, and we wouldn't trade any of our five 2-legged
grandchildren for any other benefit life can offer. And the two we don't have
make us appreciate the five we do have all the more.

But canine "grandchildren" can be a great pleasure in their own way, I think.
Feline "grandchildren" too, probably.

Bob