Is this normal?

Old May 26th 14, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

Default Is this normal?

I was given some excellent advice here about a year ago .

My Canon G1X has proven to be an excellent choice for my "shoot from the
hip" candid shots. I really love the fold out view screen. The only
minor issue is that there is a slight delay at times when I press the
shutter.

One of my friends told me a full sized Nikon would be much faster.
I mentioned a while ago that I now have the use of a Nikon D5200 so
finally decided to put it to the test. If I use the fold out viewing
screen it is actually slower than the G1X and can take up to a second to
focus and shoot.

If I do not use the viewing screen and just use the viewfinder...the
camera is lightning fast.
Old May 26th 14, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 26/05/2014 14:32, philo wrote:
I was given some excellent advice here about a year ago .

My Canon G1X has proven to be an excellent choice for my "shoot from the
hip" candid shots. I really love the fold out view screen. The only
minor issue is that there is a slight delay at times when I press the
shutter.

One of my friends told me a full sized Nikon would be much faster.
I mentioned a while ago that I now have the use of a Nikon D5200 so
finally decided to put it to the test. If I use the fold out viewing
screen it is actually slower than the G1X and can take up to a second to
focus and shoot.

If I do not use the viewing screen and just use the viewfinder...the
camera is lightning fast.

Yes, this is normal. The "Live View" mode uses a contrast-detect focus
method (as the normal auto-focus sensors can no longer "see" the image,
and that is a lot slower on the D5200 than the normal auto-focus sensors.

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 26th 14, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 05/26/2014 10:04 AM, David Taylor wrote:
[...]

OK thanks.

Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.

Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
something even better.
Old May 26th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
[]
OK thanks.

Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.

Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
something even better.

If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

I wonder how recent MFT (micro four-thirds) cameras compare in response
to the shutter press? Better than the Nikon D5200 in LiveView, but
better or worse than the Canon G1X?
--
Cheers,
David
Old May 26th 14, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/26/2014 2:33 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
[]
OK thanks.

Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.

Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
something even better.

If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

What program do you use to convert videoto still?

--
PeterN
Old May 26th 14, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , philo* wrote:

I was given some excellent advice here about a year ago .

My Canon G1X has proven to be an excellent choice for my "shoot from
the hip" candid shots. I really love the fold out view screen. The
only minor issue is that there is a slight delay at times when I
press the shutter.

One of my friends told me a full sized Nikon would be much faster. I
mentioned a while ago that I now have the use of a Nikon D5200 so
finally decided to put it to the test. If I use the fold out viewing
screen it is actually slower than the G1X and can take up to a
second to focus and shoot.

If I do not use the viewing screen and just use the viewfinder...the
camera is lightning fast.

Yes, as mentioned, this is normal. Contrast-based auto-focus is slower. And
phase detection, which is what the Nikon uses, is a lot faster.

There are mirrorless cameras with phase detection, like the Nikon 1, Canon
EOS M, Fujifilm X-T1, Olympus E-M1, and Sony NEX-5R/6, A6000 and A7, but in
most cases, these cameras phase detection focusing is still slower
(sometimes a lot slower) than phase detection in a good SLR.

Most people claim that the Sony A7 has the fastest mirrorless phase
detection currently. Mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't confirm. It is also
small and compact, but rather expensive - more than twice the price of the
Canon, and that's without a lens.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old May 26th 14, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 05/26/2014 01:33 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
[]
OK thanks.

Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.

Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
something even better.

If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

I wonder how recent MFT (micro four-thirds) cameras compare in response
to the shutter press? Better than the Nikon D5200 in LiveView, but
better or worse than the Canon G1X?

The G1-X is really perfect for what I am doing...so that will be my main
camera.

I enjoy the randomness.
Old May 27th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:33:04 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:
: On 26/05/2014 16:52, philo wrote:
: []
: OK thanks.
:
: Oddly enough, when taking candid photos, a slight shutter delay adds to
: the randomness...as what I see is not exactly what I get.
:
:
: Sometimes I may miss the exact shot I wanted and at other times get
: something even better.
:
: If you don't mind the noise, you could use burst mode! Perhaps attracts
: too much attention for candids! Or if HD resolution is enough, use
: video. But perhaps the randomness adds to the fun!

Depends on your definition of "fun". When Martha and I had Canon P&Ses (much
more primitive ones than Philo's, to be sure), the shutter lag nearly drove us
batty. That's why we bought our first pair of DSLRs. All's well that ends
well, I guess.

Bob
Old May 27th 14, 06:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 26/05/2014 22:41, PeterN wrote:
[]
What program do you use to convert video to still?

It's not something I've done for some time, Peter, but one of the usual
video editing or conversion programs. Perhaps from DivX converter, or
VLC Media Player or Virtual Dub or ....

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 27th 14, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-27 05:27:33 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 26/05/2014 22:41, PeterN wrote:
[]
What program do you use to convert video to still?

It's not something I've done for some time, Peter, but one of the usual
video editing or conversion programs. Perhaps from DivX converter, or
VLC Media Player or Virtual Dub or ....

I am sure it is possible to find an app to convert video to still. For
now the only information I can provide is that you can take VLC Media
Player *Snapshots* in JPEG or PNG at the set playback resolution.
With Quicktime Player you can select to view the frames and then make a
screen capture, but it is not exactly the best way of going about it.
LR5 can import a video and you can make a frame capture, as I did with
this iPhone 4S video. I am sure that with better technique and video
camera (my D300S perhaps) I might have got better quality.
Video:
https://db.tt/tGrhOtOx
LR5 Frame captu
https://db.tt/qhH9SsAL