rotating pictures - Nikon Coolpix L320

Old May 18th 14, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Christof Meerwald

Default rotating pictures - Nikon Coolpix L320

Bit annoying that my Coolpix L320 doesn't have an orientation sensor,
but trying to rotate individual pictures on the camera seems to be a
bit of a pain as well as there seems to be no way of rotating the
picture currently being displayed. All that happens when use select
"Rotate" from the menu is that you get into another picture viewer to
find the picture to rotate in there again. Have I missed anything or
is it really such a pain?

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old May 18th 14, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

http://download3.nikonimglib.com/arc...0RM_(En)02.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/ks2fsen

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Old May 18th 14, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-18 12:29:04 +0000, Alan Browne
said:

On 2014.05.18, 06:21 , Christof Meerwald wrote:
Bit annoying that my Coolpix L320 doesn't have an orientation sensor,
but trying to rotate individual pictures on the camera seems to be a
bit of a pain as well as there seems to be no way of rotating the
picture currently being displayed. All that happens when use select
"Rotate" from the menu is that you get into another picture viewer to
find the picture to rotate in there again. Have I missed anything or
is it really such a pain?

http://download3.nikonimglib.com/arc...0RM_(En)02.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/ks2fsen

Yup! I made the same search and checked. It appears that the L320 does
not have an *auto rotate feature*. In the camera. The only way to
rotate is manually via the *Playback* menu, one at a time. Seems odd to
me they omitted an *auto rotate* feature when it is available in other
Nikon cameras.

So it seems Christof is going to have to endure a PIA aspect of his
camera, or make a serious decision regarding replacing the L320 to gain
the *auto rotate* feature.

Savageduck

Old May 18th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Christof Meerwald[_2_]

On 2014-05-18 12:29:04 +0000, Alan Browne
said:
On 2014.05.18, 06:21 , Christof Meerwald wrote:
Bit annoying that my Coolpix L320 doesn't have an orientation sensor,
but trying to rotate individual pictures on the camera seems to be a
bit of a pain as well as there seems to be no way of rotating the
picture currently being displayed. All that happens when use select
"Rotate" from the menu is that you get into another picture viewer to
find the picture to rotate in there again. Have I missed anything or
is it really such a pain?

http://download3.nikonimglib.com/arc...0RM_(En)02.pdf

Not sure what those links were supposed to tell me...

Yup! I made the same search and checked. It appears that the L320 does
not have an *auto rotate feature*. In the camera. The only way to
rotate is manually via the *Playback* menu, one at a time. Seems odd to
me they omitted an *auto rotate* feature when it is available in other
Nikon cameras.

I don't actually care that much about the auto rotate feature - the
thing that really annoys me is that when you are viewing a pictures on
the camera you can't actually rotate the picture you are currently
viewing, but you get into another picture selection and have to find
the picture there again. This seems to be completely stupid design.

BTW, I used to use a Powershot SX100 - this had an orientation sensor
and you could rotate the picture you were currently viewing.

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old May 18th 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-18 21:48:48 +0000, Christof Meerwald

On 2014-05-18 12:29:04 +0000, Alan Browne
said:
On 2014.05.18, 06:21 , Christof Meerwald wrote:
Bit annoying that my Coolpix L320 doesn't have an orientation sensor,
but trying to rotate individual pictures on the camera seems to be a
bit of a pain as well as there seems to be no way of rotating the
picture currently being displayed. All that happens when use select
"Rotate" from the menu is that you get into another picture viewer to
find the picture to rotate in there again. Have I missed anything or
is it really such a pain?

http://download3.nikonimglib.com/arc...0RM_(En)02.pdf

Not

sure what those links were supposed to tell me...

That was the URL to the L320 manual. You might say it was Alan's way of
saying RTFM.

Yup! I made the same search and checked. It appears that the L320 does
not have an *auto rotate feature*. In the camera. The only way to
rotate is manually via the *Playback* menu, one at a time. Seems odd to
me they omitted an *auto rotate* feature when it is available in other
Nikon cameras.

I don't actually care that much about the auto rotate feature - the
thing that really annoys me is that when you are viewing a pictures on
the camera you can't actually rotate the picture you are currently
viewing, but you get into another picture selection and have to find
the picture there again. This seems to be completely stupid design.

That is why an *auto rotate* feature is important. What I understand
is, your problem with your L320 comes when viewing an image in the post
capture review display. That is not the *Playback* mode. When you try
to rotate while viewing in the review mode, you will be taken to the
*Playback* mode,, which is the only place the L320 permits rotation.
....and, yes it is completely stupid not to have an auto rotate feature.

Old May 18th 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014-05-18 12:29:04 +0000, Alan Browne
said:
On 2014.05.18, 06:21 , Christof Meerwald wrote:
Bit annoying that my Coolpix L320 doesn't have an orientation sensor,
but trying to rotate individual pictures on the camera seems to be a
bit of a pain as well as there seems to be no way of rotating the
picture currently being displayed. All that happens when use select
"Rotate" from the menu is that you get into another picture viewer to
find the picture to rotate in there again. Have I missed anything or
is it really such a pain?

http://download3.nikonimglib.com/arc...0RM_(En)02.pdf

Not sure what those links were supposed to tell me...

Read the fine manual.

Yup! I made the same search and checked. It appears that the L320 does
not have an *auto rotate feature*. In the camera. The only way to
rotate is manually via the *Playback* menu, one at a time. Seems odd to
me they omitted an *auto rotate* feature when it is available in other
Nikon cameras.

I don't actually care that much about the auto rotate feature - the
thing that really annoys me is that when you are viewing a pictures on
the camera you can't actually rotate the picture you are currently
viewing, but you get into another picture selection and have to find
the picture there again. This seems to be completely stupid design.

Why many of us read the fine manual before buying.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Old May 19th 14, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Christof Meerwald[_3_]

On 2014-05-18 21:48:48 +0000, Christof Meerwald
said:
That was the URL to the L320 manual. You might say it was Alan's way of
saying RTFM.

Sure, but the manual doesn't really contain an answer to my question...

Yup! I made the same search and checked. It appears that the L320 does
not have an *auto rotate feature*. In the camera. The only way to
rotate is manually via the *Playback* menu, one at a time. Seems odd to
me they omitted an *auto rotate* feature when it is available in other
Nikon cameras.

That is why an *auto rotate* feature is important. What I understand
is, your problem with your L320 comes when viewing an image in the post
capture review display. That is not the *Playback* mode. When you try
to rotate while viewing in the review mode, you will be taken to the
*Playback* mode,, which is the only place the L320 permits rotation.
...and, yes it is completely stupid not to have an auto rotate feature.

No, I am actually talking about the Playback mode, but when I select
"Rotate Image" from there, I get taken to an image selection screen
and have to find the image in there again.

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old May 19th 14, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014-05-18 21:48:48 +0000, Christof Meerwald
said:
That was the URL to the L320 manual. You might say it was Alan's way of
saying RTFM.

Sure, but the manual doesn't really contain an answer to my question...

Sure does. Says that images can be rotated in the playback mode. That
may not be what you want, but that is how the camera does it.

P 40 of the reference section (sheet 146 of the pdf).

Importantly, it states that once you rotate the image, that setting is
saved with the image.

I guess workflow wise, it means after shooting and during some down time
you review your photos and select those that need to be rotated - or
wait and do it on the computer. In programs like Bridge you can select
multiple photos and rotate them all at once. Perhaps the Nikon s/w you
get with the camera can do the same.

[...]

That blows to be sure. Better perhaps to do that later on a computer
with an appropriate app that allows multiple selection and rotation.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Old May 19th 14, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-19 14:18:12 +0000, Christof Meerwald

On 2014-05-18 21:48:48 +0000, Christof Meerwald
said:
That was the URL to the L320 manual. You might say it was Alan's way of
saying RTFM.

Sure, but the manual doesn't really contain an answer to my question...

In a way it does. It tells you that manual image rotation is available
in *Playback* mode.
It omits any mention of an auto rotate feature.
Most importantly it omits a description of the odd behavior you have
told us about. That leads me to believe that the L320 has a poorly
designed featured set, or there is something very wrong and a firmware
update is needed. Now might be time to contact Nikon to report and
complain about this unexpected behavior.

[...]

Then it is even more screwed up than you have stated and it sounds as
if it is due for some sort of firmware update, which I doubt will ever
happen.

Savageduck