My three biggest camera mistakes

Old May 5th 14, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

Default My three biggest camera mistakes

On 05/04/2014 01:05 PM, RichA wrote:
-Selling off my Olympus cameras and lens collection in 2001 because "digital" was taking over. Then watching the price of old OM lenses skyrocket as Canon FF users snapped them up.
-Dumping my Pentax(s) and lens collection because I went to the Nikon D300, only (literally, 2 weeks later) to watch as Pentax discontinued their 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/1.4 and their prices tripled, even at dealers who had left-over stock.
-Not buying a Nikon 300mm f/3.5 (older pro lens) for $700 I wanted to use with an Olympus, only to come back the next day to buy it and finding out one of the salespeople in store dropped it, chipping a huge piece off the front lens!

I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
the auction.

I have a couple of other good cameras and just plain have too much
equipment here...

I also got rid of a Zeis Contaflex today.

I got it from my uncle when he died, but decided to pass it on to his
grandchildren.
Old May 5th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo*
wrote:

I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
the auction.

a working film camera is worth more than $10, although to someone
looking for a 50d, it just makes the shipping cost more because chances
are they don't want it any more than you do.
Old May 6th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

kIn article ,
RichA wrote:

I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
the auction.

a working film camera is worth more than $10, although to someone
looking for a 50d, it just makes the shipping cost more because chances
are they don't want it any more than you do.

The local outlet camera store sells 1980's film bodies, working ones, for $5, $10 and $20.

must be low end crap.

decent film slrs go for a bit more than that. a nikon fm2 is easily
$100 or more in good shape.
Old May 6th 14, 09:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 05/05/2014 08:56 PM, RichA wrote:

a working film camera is worth more than $10, although to someone

looking for a 50d, it just makes the shipping cost more because chances

Nope. I am offering free shipping and the body is so light the added
cost to ship it is negligible.

are they don't want it any more than you do.

The local outlet camera store sells 1980's film bodies, working ones, for $5, $10 and $20.

I have a friend who has an antique booth and does a good business
selling cameras that are considered collector's items. He sells as many
as 8 a month if it's over 50 years old.
Old May 8th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 05/07/2014 02:22 AM, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:30:33 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 05/05/2014 08:56 PM, RichA wrote:

I have a friend who has an antique booth and does a good business

selling cameras that are considered collector's items. He sells as many

as 8 a month if it's over 50 years old.

I know people who do that too, at an antique show in Toronto. There are people who'll pay money for some. But as benchmarks, I've seen the price of used cameras like the Nikon FE from the 1970's fall from $200 to about $60 and Nikon F3's drop to less than $200.00.

My friend picked up two of these.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc1WDUwMA==/z/iW4AAOxySFJSFQID/$%28KGrHqJ,!lIFI!q52LddBSFQIDl7Cw~~60_12.JPG

He is keeping one and might get a few hundred dollars for the other.
Old May 10th 14, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 04 May 2014 20:13:54 -0500, philo* wrote:
:
: I just put my 50D and lens on eBay today and was also going to sell my
: 35mm EOS body...but then saw it has a value of $10 so just added it to
: the auction.

My 50D is still in service as the camera I leave at work for emergencies. It's
also the backup camera my wife and I take along when we drive to Philadelphia
to visit our daughter. A very good camera in its day.

Out of curiosity, what lens did you use on your 50D?

Bob
Old May 10th 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Tue, 06 May 2014 03:30:33 -0500, philo* wrote:
:
: I have a friend who has an antique booth and does a good business
: selling cameras that are considered collector's items. He sells
: as many as 8 a month if it's over 50 years old.

Great Caesar! Does that mean that my mint-condition Argus C-3 has a cash
value?

Bob
Old May 10th 14, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Wed, 07 May 2014 20:26:24 -0500, philo* wrote:
: My friend picked up two of these.
:
:
: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc1WDUwMA==/z/iW4AAOxySFJSFQID/$%28KGrHqJ,!lIFI!q52LddBSFQIDl7Cw~~60_12.JPG
:
:
: He is keeping one and might get a few hundred dollars for the other.

The Mickey Mouse face on the front must be what sells it.

Interesting hot shoe. Since the back is blocked, you'd have to slide a flash
on from the front. I don't think any manufacturer would do that today, because
of the risk that the flash would fall off if it weren't tightened down
properly.

Bob
Old May 11th 14, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 05/10/2014 03:16 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2014 03:30:33 -0500, philo wrote:
:
: I have a friend who has an antique booth and does a good business
: selling cameras that are considered collector's items. He sells
: as many as 8 a month if it's over 50 years old.

Great Caesar! Does that mean that my mint-condition Argus C-3 has a cash
value?

Bob

Yes, it does have a modest value.

He can often pick them up at rummage sales for $5 or less and get $25 -$35

There is one right now on eBay @ $36 and getting bids.

I have an Argus but I'd rather keep it .

I have at least a dozen flash bulbs left and occasionally take a flash
shot so that the kids* today can know what it was like to get blinded by
a photographer.

* a kid is anyone under 50