Q: cheapest develop-only rollfilm processing in southern Germany

Old June 28th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Q: cheapest develop-only rollfilm processing in southern Germany

On 28-06-09 05:27, RolandRB wrote:
I am now based in southern Germany in Biberach an der Riss. I just got
a 120 roll of slide film developed (no prints - uncut) sent off from
the main photography shop in town and it cost me 7 Euros which is too
much for my liking. I can't get to Munich easily to benefit from using
Sauter so I am wondering what cheaper alternatives there are.

Get a Sony a900. Add lens adaptor.

You should be able to find someone who does their own C-41 developing
without sending it out to another processor. Ulm or Memmingen perhaps?
Old June 28th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 28-06-09 11:15, RolandRB wrote:
On Jun 28, 5:12 pm, Alan
wrote:
On 28-06-09 05:27, RolandRB wrote:

I am now based in southern Germany in Biberach an der Riss. I just got
a 120 roll of slide film developed (no prints - uncut) sent off from
the main photography shop in town and it cost me 7 Euros which is too
much for my liking. I can't get to Munich easily to benefit from using
Sauter so I am wondering what cheaper alternatives there are.

Get a Sony a900. Add lens adaptor.

You should be able to find someone who does their own C-41 developing
without sending it out to another processor. Ulm or Memmingen perhaps?

It's E6 I need.

You mentioned prints which are typically not delivered with E-6.

Otherwise, same reply as above.
Old June 28th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 28-06-09 12:46, RolandRB wrote:

wrote:
On 28-06-09 05:27, RolandRB wrote:
I am now based in southern Germany in Biberach an der Riss. I just got
a 120 roll of slide film developed (no prints - uncut) sent off from
the main photography shop in town and it cost me 7 Euros which is too
much for my liking. I can't get to Munich easily to benefit from using
Sauter so I am wondering what cheaper alternatives there are.
Get a Sony a900. Add lens adaptor.
You should be able to find someone who does their own C-41 developing
without sending it out to another processor. Ulm or Memmingen perhaps?
It's E6 I need.

You mentioned prints which are typically not delivered with E-6.

Otherwise, same reply as above.

I wrote "no prints" and also "slide film".

I see that - however - when somebody is discussing development and says
"no prints" it usually implies that he has de-selected prints from a
C-41 or B&W development (since E-6 does not come with prints). I did
not notice the "slide film" when I first read it.

NOW: In Ulm and Memmingen can you get E-6 done? That's really what
this is about, no?
Old June 28th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

RolandRB writes:

They offer prints for E6 these days since they are scanned prints.

As are C41 prints. That's why talking about "print film" sounds weird
these days to me. When I want prints I choose film by its
characteristics (do I want the eye-popping colors of Velvia or not, etc..)
instead of whether it's "slide film" or "print film"..

Anyway... I was thinking that since there are places in Finland
that can do E-6 for 4-5 euror per roll and since everything up here
tends to cost more than in Germany, I would say it could be possible
that cheaper E-6 developing options COULD exist. If not, well,
doing E-6 at home isn't all that hard and the cost per rolls is a lot
less.
Old June 29th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

RolandRB writes:

How do i do e6 processing at home?

Get a E-6 chemical kit by Tetenal, Kodak or some other company, and
the usual b&w development tools (tank, spirals, etc), a good
thermometer, something dark like a cloth film changing bag or the back
of your bathroom, follow instructions and there you go..

This is what I'd use, and don't get scared when they say "6 films",
that's an error on the fotoimpex.de side, it can actually do 12
according to the manufacturer:

http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoche...r-6-filme.html

If you find you like doing that a lot, then next time get this one:
http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotoche...l60-filme.html

The cost per roll is only slightly more than 1 euro then.
Old June 29th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 28-06-09 15:44, RolandRB wrote:

wrote:
[...]

this is about, no?- Hide quoted text -

They offer prints for E6 these days since they are scanned prints.

Who cares? You're asking about development which is a pre-cursor to
printing regardless of how it's done (and for which there is an extra
charge, and for which in my experience here yields fairly poor quality
scans).

Old June 29th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 28-06-09 21:49, RolandRB wrote:
On Jun 28, 9:59 pm, Toni wrote:
writes:
They offer prints for E6 these days since they are scanned prints.

As are C41 prints. That's why talking about "print film" sounds weird
these days to me. When I want prints I choose film by its
characteristics (do I want the eye-popping colors of Velvia or not, etc..)
instead of whether it's "slide film" or "print film"..

Anyway... I was thinking that since there are places in Finland
that can do E-6 for 4-5 euror per roll and since everything up here
tends to cost more than in Germany, I would say it could be possible
that cheaper E-6 developing options COULD exist. If not, well,
doing E-6 at home isn't all that hard and the cost per rolls is a lot
less.

How do i do e6 processing at home?

With a lot of chemicals, technical obsession and care. I've looked at
this as an option and decided to pass. It may be right for you however.

It's not very different than B&W, except that temperatures need to be
maintained very narrowly and there are several more steps than in B&W
processing.

You can probably get your roll costs down to a Euro or 2 as long as you
have enough film to use the chemicals in a timely manner.

Old June 29th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 29-06-09 03:53, RolandRB wrote:
On 28 Jun., 17:12, Alan
wrote:
On 28-06-09 05:27, RolandRB wrote:

I am now based in southern Germany in Biberach an der Riss. I just got
a 120 roll of slide film developed (no prints - uncut) sent off from
the main photography shop in town and it cost me 7 Euros which is too
much for my liking. I can't get to Munich easily to benefit from using
Sauter so I am wondering what cheaper alternatives there are.

Get a Sony a900. Add lens adaptor.

You should be able to find someone who does their own C-41 developing
without sending it out to another processor. Ulm or Memmingen perhaps?

I don't shoot enough medium format to justify a Sony A900 and besides,
I like to shoot with old cameras to compare their results. I have
quite a collection of old folders and I want to try each of them out
at least once. If I were serious about shooting medium format for
selling purposes and I was shooting enough then I would look long at
hard at getting a Sony A900. The lenses seem expensive though. What
existing lenses could be used on the camara using what sort of adapter
that are cheaper and of good enough quality?

I use my Hasselblad lenses on the A900 and of course my old Minolta
lenses and new Sony/Carl Zeiss lens (and looking to buy more as time
goes on).

Sites like fotodiox have a variety of adaptors for older lenses to new
DSLR's. The Sony A900 might not be the best option for you, Canon or
Nikon might open you up to more lens adaptor choices.
Old June 30th 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Alan Browne writes:

It's not very different than B&W, except that temperatures need to be
maintained very narrowly and there are several more steps than in B&W
processing.

I've yet to do E-6 myself but the temperature shouldn't be harder than
C41, it's actually very easy to keep the temperature between 37.5-38.5C
in a kitchen sink filled with water. Basically you start developing
when it's cooled down to 38.5C and it won't have gone below 37.5C
when the 3-4 minutes developing time has completed.
Old June 30th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

On 30-06-09 00:27, RolandRB wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:27 pm, Alan

Sites like fotodiox have a variety of adaptors for older lenses to new
DSLR's. The Sony A900 might not be the best option for you, Canon or
Nikon might open you up to more lens adaptor choices.- Hide quoted text -

I have a number of Minolta AF lenses. Will they work properly on the
A900? I have read that for digital cameras it is best if the light
falling on the sensor does so in a perpendicular fashion and I am not
sure if my Minolta AF lenses would work well on this camera (assuming
it accepts the Minolta AF mount).

All my Minolta lenses work properly on my a900. The only case of
vignetting I have seen to date is with the 20mm f/2.8 lens shot wide open:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9346880&size=lg

But this lens, according to others, does vignette on film when shot wide
open in any case. 1 or 2 stops down and this does not occur.

If you use Photoshop (and many other programs) such vignetting can be
taken out quite easily in the lens correction menus.

IAC, on all of my longer lenses (from the 28-70 to the 300 f/2.8) the
a900 does beautifully.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9398338&size=lg

The only lens that is reported by KM/Sony to not work to spec is the
50mm 1-3x macro lens (motor focus (or zoom?) does not operate, but can
be operated manually).