MF to 35mm adaptors

Old May 16th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default MF to 35mm adaptors

Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Insane! Love it! Where are the phots taken with it?

I use the lens with a floppy hand held mount for that freaky look,
it's a lot less hassle than the big rig. Here's some on the D700:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/2080128112/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3233820872/

I think this approach could be taken a lot further in composition, color
contrast (as suggested in the 2nd image). In fact I have a notion that
in the studio with several models this could be used to very cool effect.

Yes I've seen it used to good effect in fashion shots.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 16th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Insane! Love it! Where are the phots taken with it?

I use the lens with a floppy hand held mount for that freaky look,
it's a lot less hassle than the big rig. Here's some on the D700:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/2080128112/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3233820872/

I think this approach could be taken a lot further in composition,
color contrast (as suggested in the 2nd image). In fact I have a
notion that in the studio with several models this could be used to
very cool effect.

Yes I've seen it used to good effect in fashion shots.

Hmm, I wasn't thinking fashion... ;-)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Alan Browne wrote,on my timestamp of 17/05/2009 3:03 AM:
I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? I expect it
will require stop down metering (or incident meter or histo test
metering) and of course there's no AF (no problem).

I use a Sonnar 180/2.8 ex-P6 regularly as a macro lens
for a D80. On a F4 with film it's also an excellent lens.
And even on a 645 ProTL it's still a superb lens.

Of course you do need stop down metering, or in the case of
the D80 just plain old guessing and checking the histogram.

Here is a recent example with the D80:
http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/art/...rmit-117452446
(click on image to enlarge)
That was taken with a SB24 at 1/16 manual for fill-in,
three Pentacon extension tubes and a mounting ring to Nikon.

The distance was nearly half a meter away. That is the best thing
about the setup: the distance between the front of the lens
and the macro subject. Good for panicky or bity things.

Ah yes, sorry: I just realized who you are and that
you block anyone and everyone. Ah well: tough!
LOL!
Old May 17th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Q.G. de Bakker

Alan Browne wrote:

Only problems are medium format lenses may not be as sharp and they
become long telephoto lenses.

The FL should be no different? eg: the adaptor puts the lens mount out at
the same distance it would be if mounted on the 500 C/M. The image circle
will be larger (potential mirror box reflection issues) but the FL should
remain that of the lens.

The focal length does remain what it is.
The angle of view however certainly does not.

Old May 17th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Q.G. de Bakker

Alan Browne wrote:

I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? I expect it will
require stop down metering (or incident meter or histo test metering) and
of course there's no AF (no problem).

If you have lenses for your Minolta, use those.
Much easier.

Old May 17th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Only problems are medium format lenses may not be as sharp and they
become long telephoto lenses.

The FL should be no different? eg: the adaptor puts the lens mount out at
the same distance it would be if mounted on the 500 C/M. The image circle
will be larger (potential mirror box reflection issues) but the FL should
remain that of the lens.

The focal length does remain what it is.
The angle of view however certainly does not.

Duh and duh.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

I've located an adaptor for Hasselblad lenses to Minolta A-mount.

I'm tempted. Anyone use these? What are the tradeoffs? I expect it will
require stop down metering (or incident meter or histo test metering) and
of course there's no AF (no problem).

If you have lenses for your Minolta, use those.
Much easier.

Why so? I don't use AF generally. I often incident meter or spot with
a separate meter - and in this case the a900 preview exposure adjustment
mode is perfect for this.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Q.G. de Bakker

Alan Browne wrote:

If you have lenses for your Minolta, use those.
Much easier.

Why so? I don't use AF generally. I often incident meter or spot with a
separate meter - and in this case the a900 preview exposure adjustment
mode is perfect for this.

Because you'll avoid the adapter, the bigger and heavier lenses, the stop
down metering, the manual diaphragm.

And - more importantly - because, assuming you have decent lenses for your
Sony/Minolta, you'll gain noting in return.

Old May 17th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Q.G. de Bakker

Alan Browne wrote:

The FL should be no different? eg: the adaptor puts the lens mount out
at the same distance it would be if mounted on the 500 C/M. The image
circle will be larger (potential mirror box reflection issues) but the
FL should remain that of the lens.

The focal length does remain what it is.
The angle of view however certainly does not.

Duh and duh.

So: "Only problems are medium format lenses [...] become long telephoto
lenses"

(Not the sharp bit: MF lenses are equally as sharp.)

Old May 17th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

If you have lenses for your Minolta, use those.
Much easier.

Why so? I don't use AF generally. I often incident meter or spot with a
separate meter - and in this case the a900 preview exposure adjustment
mode is perfect for this.

Because you'll avoid the adapter, the bigger and heavier lenses, the stop
down metering, the manual diaphragm.

I just said those don't bother me as I'm used to incident and spot
metering with a separate meter in any case.

And - more importantly - because, assuming you have decent lenses for your
Sony/Minolta, you'll gain noting in return.

Well, I don't have an 85mm f/1.4 for the Sony, but this would give me an
80mm f/2.8 for a not bad compromise.

Likewise 150mm, an oddball FL on 35mm ... might be interesting.

The only inconvenience on the older 80 and 150 are that when the DOF
preview is locked it 'unlocks' by itself when you open up to max
aperture. The 120 (a CF) does not unlock DOF preview unless
deliberately done.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.