What do you pay for developing?

Old April 29th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ric Trexell

Default What do you pay for developing?

I'm wondering what some of you have to pay for developing and printing 120
film. I take mine to my local Wal-Mart in central Wisconsin and get ten
pictures (from a 6X7 camera) for $1.44. The only thing I don't like is that
it takes 2 weeks. I can't see how they can even make a profit at that rate.
A roll of 35mm is only about $2.44 for a 24 exposure roll. This wasn't a
special or anything, I have had several done for that price. However I had
a b/w roll (120 format) a few weeks ago and for that I was charged $8+. For
those that will say the developing is garbage there, I'm satisfied and I
scan most of the negatives anyway. So what I'm wondering is $1.44 the going
rate and if so, why process at home? Thanks. Ric in Wisconsin.

Old April 29th 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Ric Trexell wrote:
I'm wondering what some of you have to pay for developing and printing 120
film. I take mine to my local Wal-Mart in central Wisconsin and get ten
pictures (from a 6X7 camera) for $1.44. The only thing I don't like is that
it takes 2 weeks. I can't see how they can even make a profit at that rate.
A roll of 35mm is only about $2.44 for a 24 exposure roll. This wasn't a
special or anything, I have had several done for that price. However I had
a b/w roll (120 format) a few weeks ago and for that I was charged $8+. For
those that will say the developing is garbage there, I'm satisfied and I
scan most of the negatives anyway. So what I'm wondering is $1.44 the going
rate and if so, why process at home? Thanks. Ric in Wisconsin.

I only get it developed (E-6) for about CAD$6 / roll (cut and sleeved).
I scan at home for printing.

When I occasionally get C-41 done, then I do get 5x5" prints with it as
an index, not as finals. Total is about CAD$14.

I've never tried Wal*Merde for this... not sure if the local one handles
120 for that matter.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 29th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
K W Hart

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
net...
[...]

Obviously, I don't know your local WalMart, but most of the one-hour
minilabs can't handle anything other than 35mm film. And if they do process
mostly 35mm, you probably don't want them to develope your 120 film. The
rollers in the processors will have a "track" worn in them 35mm wide and
could damage your 120 film.

Since you say it takes 2 weeks, they are probably out-labbing the film-
shipping it out to a central lab that serves many stores. This is a good
news bad news thing. It's more likely that the central lab has experienced
people- more experienced than the typical WalMart "photolab tech". But your
film is being transported, which incrreases the chance of it being lost.

The price you are paying is very attractive. The price you quote for 35mm
($2.44)- is that for two week turnaround or one hour? I suspect that the
processing was incorrectly coded in the store's computer. Don't be too
suprized if it suddenly goes up.

Old April 30th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ric Trexell

" The price you are paying is very attractive. The price you quote for 35mm
($2.44)- is that for two week turnaround or one hour? I suspect that the
processing was incorrectly coded in the store's computer. Don't be too
suprized if it suddenly goes up.

The price for 35mm has always been very low. I'm not talking about 1 roll
but many rolls. Lately they now take a week for a 35mm roll, whereas it
used to be that if it went out on a Monday, you got it on a Wednesday. MF
film takes 2 weeks. A lot of the delay now is due to digital cutting into
the amount of rolls being developed. Ric.

Old April 30th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
K W Hart

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
net...

" The price you are paying is very attractive. The price you quote for
35mm
($2.44)- is that for two week turnaround or one hour? I suspect that the
processing was incorrectly coded in the store's computer. Don't be too
suprized if it suddenly goes up.

The price for 35mm has always been very low. I'm not talking about 1 roll
but many rolls. Lately they now take a week for a 35mm roll, whereas it
used to be that if it went out on a Monday, you got it on a Wednesday. MF
film takes 2 weeks. A lot of the delay now is due to digital cutting into
the amount of rolls being developed. Ric.

Please define "many rolls". I've taken a half dozen rolls of 35mm into my
local WalMart, and the price has always been about $7 each for one hour
processing. No one has ever said anything about a quantity deal.

Does your local Walmart do on-site film developing? Is there a large machine
there with strips of negs hanging on racks? Or is it just a counter with a
clerk filling out processing bags and tossing them into a bin?

As much as people may hate Walmart for whatever reason, they are a leader in
sales. If they are going to off-site (out-lab) processing of film, I think
that's bad news for film. As long as you can shoot a roll of film, take it
to your local Walmart/CVS/Rite-Aid for processing on your lunchbreak and
pick up your prints on your way home, film will live on. When Walmart trains
the consumer that film takes a week, digital is ten minutes, film will have
a tough life!

For me, I'll shoot digital when you can get the developer stains off my cold
dead hands! (Apologies to the NRA and the late Charlton Heston!)

Old April 30th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

Ric Trexell wrote,on my timestamp of 30/04/2009 3:02 AM:
I'm wondering what some of you have to pay for developing and printing 120
film. I take mine to my local Wal-Mart in central Wisconsin and get ten
pictures (from a 6X7 camera) for $1.44. The only thing I don't like is that
it takes 2 weeks. I can't see how they can even make a profit at that rate.
A roll of 35mm is only about $2.44 for a 24 exposure roll. This wasn't a
special or anything, I have had several done for that price. However I had
a b/w roll (120 format) a few weeks ago and for that I was charged $8+. For
those that will say the developing is garbage there, I'm satisfied and I
scan most of the negatives anyway. So what I'm wondering is $1.44 the going
rate and if so, why process at home? Thanks. Ric in Wisconsin.

$1.44 is a bit low over here. I get $10 for each 120 roll,
but that's Australian dollars. Roughly equivalent to $6US.

That's development only. I do my own scanning and printing
and do development as well for b&w.

35mm is a bit more, for 36-length film: $12.
This is a commercial place, they can do same day but I usually
let them take 24 hours: they work better that way.

If I take the work to the pro lab, they do 120 for $7 ($4US)
and 35mm for $9. But I have to get out of my way for it and
it takes up to 48 hours for the film to be back.
Old May 2nd 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ric Trexell

"K W Hart" wrote in message

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
net...

" The price you are paying is very attractive. The price you quote for
35mm
($2.44)- is that for two week turnaround or one hour? I suspect that

the
processing was incorrectly coded in the store's computer. Don't be too
suprized if it suddenly goes up.

The price for 35mm has always been very low. I'm not talking about 1

roll
but many rolls.

Please define "many rolls". I've taken a half dozen rolls of 35mm into my
local WalMart, and the price has always been about $7 each for one hour
processing. No one has ever said anything about a quantity deal.

I didn't use good wording there. The point you made was that it could have
been a mistake on that one roll. I was saying that the prices of several
rolls, meaning over the last few months or years have been low. They ship
everything out to a Fuji lab and I learned this weekend (because a 120 roll
was labeled as 110 and misplaced) that they, the Fuji lab, sends some of
there film out. Yes, film developing has dropped off there at Wal-Mart and
that is why they only pick up during the week. I remember many times in the
past when I would drop my film into the container and it was packed. Now
there are about 10 rolls being sent off. I still like film for the color
and other things. Plus I can scan it so I have the best of both worlds.
The day may come when film users will need to either send it somewhere half
way around the world for developing or have our own darkroom. Right now
with $1.44 developing for 120 film, I can't afford to monkey with a
darkroom. Ric.

Old May 2nd 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

I'd like to point it out that nowadays, if someone is displeased with
the quality, service, speed or pricing of colour negative development,
it's not that much of a trouble to do it yourself, especially if
you've ever done B&W negative developing before. It's not too much
more trouble with today's 3-bath kits. And you don't need a darkroom,
all you need is a kitchen sink, a tank and a black "strait jacket" type
film changing bag.
Old May 3rd 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ric Trexell

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

I'd like to point it out that nowadays, if someone is displeased with
the quality, service, speed or pricing of colour negative development,
it's not that much of a trouble to do it yourself, especially if
you've ever done B&W negative developing before. It's not too much
more trouble with today's 3-bath kits. And you don't need a darkroom,
all you need is a kitchen sink, a tank and a black "strait jacket" type
film changing bag.

Yes, and if you are going to only scan the negatives, you can get by without
and enlarger and all the other stuff that goes with printing. Good point,
it is something to consider if more places drop developing. Ric.

Old May 3rd 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael[_6_]

On 2009-05-02 22:09:47 -0400, "Ric Trexell" said:

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

I'd like to point it out that nowadays, if someone is displeased with
the quality, service, speed or pricing of colour negative development,
it's not that much of a trouble to do it yourself, especially if
you've ever done B&W negative developing before. It's not too much
more trouble with today's 3-bath kits. And you don't need a darkroom,
all you need is a kitchen sink, a tank and a black "strait jacket" type
film changing bag.

Yes, and if you are going to only scan the negatives, you can get by without
and enlarger and all the other stuff that goes with printing. Good point,
it is something to consider if more places drop developing. Ric.

And slides also. It looks as though Dwayne's will be in it for the
duration as long as Kodachrome is produced, and E6 is no more difficult
to home process than C41, just a couple of extra steps. You get slides
for projection (if you like) and scanning.
--
Michael