A New 8x10 Field-Camera.

Old October 31st 08, 07:13 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Default A New 8x10 Field-Camera.

http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html
Old November 1st 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Keith Tapscott. wrote:
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

The ABS structure disturbs me. I'd rather see machined metal - even
aluminum of the proper grade would be better.

Overpriced, as-is.

Many of us can make the same more economically.
Old November 1st 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 10/31/2008 4:19 PM John J spake thus:

Keith Tapscott. wrote:

http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

The ABS structure disturbs me. I'd rather see machined metal - even
aluminum of the proper grade would be better.

For that matter, how about wood? Nothing wrong with exquisitely machined
tropical hardwood for certain parts. ABS? Feh!

Overpriced, as-is.

I agree.

- Paulo Freire
Old November 1st 08, 01:56 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Keith Tapscott. wrote:
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

Many of us can make the same more economically.
Interesting comment, did you make your own View-Camera?

Last edited by Keith Tapscott. : November 1st 08 at 03:18 PM.
Old November 1st 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Keith Tapscott. wrote:

http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

The ABS structure disturbs me. I'd rather see machined metal - even
aluminum of the proper grade would be better.

For that matter, how about wood? Nothing wrong with exquisitely machined
tropical hardwood for certain parts. ABS? Feh!

A colleague likes to remind me that wood is merely dead organic material
- cellulose of various densities in useful lattice structures. Then I
think of the advances especially in composite materials that find
applications of similar organic structures, but require enormous
expenditures of natural resources and energy.

I'm good with wood. I've a Century 1 8"x10". It's a little loose. After
only 107 years!
Old November 1st 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ken Hart1

"John J" wrote in message
m...
Keith Tapscott. wrote:
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

The ABS structure disturbs me. I'd rather see machined metal - even
aluminum of the proper grade would be better.

Overpriced, as-is.

Many of us can make the same more economically.

As for the ABS construction, I'm not sure. It may be better in that it would
have some flexibility in the face of hard knocks. On the other hand, that
flexibility may make it difficult to keep in alignment over time.

What I find interesting is the bellows extension mechanism: a telescoping
affair rather than the geared bed or rail. That seems like a system designed
for problems as each section can work loose from the next.

Any comments on the focusing screen? "The focusing screen is a one piece
acrylic screen with etched surface on one side and Fresnel on the other,
with a separate cover glass with grid pattern." (quoted from the above
website)

Old November 1st 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Keith Tapscott. wrote:
John J;763623 Wrote:
Keith Tapscott. wrote:-
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html-

Many of us can make the same more economically.Interesting comment, did you make your own View-Camera?

I have made several cameras. The design of the 4x5 in-progress will
probably shock most people. At first glance most would not even see it
as a camera. Minimalist to the extreme, but functional for view work.
It will be of aluminum, not wood, because wood is not strong enough for
the frame.
Old November 14th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Erie Patsellis

John,
Interesting that you mention that, after our last conversation about this on
FL, I've been drawing a 4x5 solid body CF with a focusing helix, hope to
have it done by spring.

How are things up north these days?

Erie

On 11/1/08 11:23 AM, in article
, "John J"
wrote:

Old November 14th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

Erie Patsellis wrote:
John,
Interesting that you mention that, after our last conversation about this on
FL, I've been drawing a 4x5 solid body CF with a focusing helix, hope to
have it done by spring.

This camera will not have a body. I kid you not.

How are things up north these days?

It has snowed several times but not accumulated yet. This morning there
is a veil of ice over everything. We had a few days where the leaves
were still in the streets, it froze and I crashed my bicycle and earned
some terrific 'show quality' bruises.

The darkroom is already too cold to use. THAT is a bummer.

But every day above ground is good! Eh?

Hope you and Becky are well!

John