How does Google Imaging & satellite spying photo analysis work?

Old May 19th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Liam O'Connor

Default How does Google Imaging & satellite spying photo analysis work?

I'm a layman, so, keeping it at lay-talk, fundamentally,
how does Google Images recognize two images as having the
same provenance?

And, is it similar to how software find tanks and missiles
in a spy satellite photo?

What I have been told is that they both do an FFT on the
pixel information, and, from that detailed frequency data,
they look for characteristic "signature patterns".

But, I know no more than that (and even that may be wrong).

Can you shed light (in layman's terms) on this process?
Old May 20th 14, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article
dhosting.com,
Liam O'Connor wrote:

I'm a layman, so, keeping it at lay-talk, fundamentally,
how does Google Images recognize two images as having the
same provenance?

Google buys the imagery already aligned to GPS coordinates. They then
perform additional alignments and merging within their database. It's
similar to software that stitches photos into panoramas except that
Google has a LOT of data to merge. Your Android phone may even be
helping them detect streets and walkways.

The super high resolution images that you see on Google from airplanes.
Local and federal governments create them for surveying cities, finding
diseased plants, finding stagnant water breeding mosquitos, etc.

And, is it similar to how software find tanks and missiles
in a spy satellite photo?

What I have been told is that they both do an FFT on the
pixel information, and, from that detailed frequency data,
they look for characteristic "signature patterns".

But, I know no more than that (and even that may be wrong).

Can you shed light (in layman's terms) on this process?

I've heard that it's manual, but that's not my line of work.
Old May 23rd 14, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
dave

On 05/19/2014 12:55 PM, Liam O'Connor wrote:
I'm a layman, so, keeping it at lay-talk, fundamentally,
how does Google Images recognize two images as having the
same provenance?

And, is it similar to how software find tanks and missiles
in a spy satellite photo?

What I have been told is that they both do an FFT on the
pixel information, and, from that detailed frequency data,
they look for characteristic "signature patterns".

But, I know no more than that (and even that may be wrong).

Can you shed light (in layman's terms) on this process?

Lots of DSP, trial and error involved in calibration and proofing.
Mostly automated, ground penetrating radar, bizarre optical wavelengths,
magnetometers, etc. all integrated in proprietary computer systems.
Between the oil companies and the spooks, remote sensing is very mature
and still very secret. FFT analysis can make anything more visible, to a
point.