Fixing a scratched LCD screen

Old May 20th 14, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Fixing a scratched LCD screen

The LCD screen of my camera by now has a number of light scratches.
Nothing deep, the scratches came from carrying the camera around.

A while ago I believe I heard of some kind of liquid which would fix
these issues if applied on the screen, i.e. would make the plastic of
the screen scratchless again. Does something like that exist?
--
Alfred Molon

Old May 21st 14, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-20 20:11:29 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

The LCD screen of my camera by now has a number of light scratches.
Nothing deep, the scratches came from carrying the camera around.

A while ago I believe I heard of some kind of liquid which would fix
these issues if applied on the screen, i.e. would make the plastic of
the screen scratchless again. Does something like that exist?

The problem is to first determine that the LCD screen is indeed
plastic, many are glass.
Nikon DSLRs have been delivered with a plastic protective cover which
for the most part protects the glass of the LCD screen from scratches
and impact damage. However I have also used the Giottos *Schott glass*
protective covers as they are less obtrusive, and are easily replace if
damaged.
http://www.giottos.com/pro_view.aspx?nId=8&TypeId=37
and they are available via B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...h=yes&sts =ta

If the screen is plastic then most automotive plastic lens polishes
should take out obvious scratches.

Savageduck

Old May 21st 14, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

The LCD screen of my camera by now has a number of light scratches.
Nothing deep, the scratches came from carrying the camera around.

A while ago I believe I heard of some kind of liquid which would fix
these issues if applied on the screen, i.e. would make the plastic of
the screen scratchless again. Does something like that exist?
--
Alfred Molon

In addition to the other comments, remember that what you're
essentially doing is grinding down the remaining plastic to the level
of the bottom of the scratches; so obviously, there are limits to how
deep a scratch you can remove.

What I use (for this and many other things) is Novus plastic polish.
Comes in a set with three grades, depending on how aggressive you need
to be. For these screens (if plastic, obviously) I'd start with #2 and
do a final buff with #1.
Old May 21st 14, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/21/2014 10:27 AM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

[...]

I would think that easily replaceable protectors, similar to the ones
used on smart phones, would be available.

--
PeterN
Old May 21st 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old May 21st 14, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I would think that easily replaceable protectors, similar to the ones
used on smart phones, would be available.

They certainly are. My Nikon bodies came with clip-on protectors from
the factory, and I've replaced them once or twice as necessary.
Old May 21st 14, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/21/2014 2:54 PM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I would think that easily replaceable protectors, similar to the ones
used on smart phones, would be available.

They certainly are. My Nikon bodies came with clip-on protectors from
the factory, and I've replaced them once or twice as necessary.

Indeed they do. I read the OP as saying he had an issue with the LCD
screen, meaning he did not use a protector.

--
PeterN
Old May 22nd 14, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 5/21/2014 8:19 PM, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:54:30 PM UTC-4, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , PeterN

wrote:

I would think that easily replaceable protectors, similar to the ones

used on smart phones, would be available.

They certainly are. My Nikon bodies came with clip-on protectors from

the factory, and I've replaced them once or twice as necessary.

Useless on touchscreens unless they are very thin, which the Nikon ones are not.
I used Optex film, until they cheaped-out the quality and you couldn't eliminate bubbles in it anymore.

The last time I looked, none of my Nikons have touch screens.

--
PeterN