Lytro camera adds filters, changes pic point of view

Old November 16th 12, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
gpsman

Default Lytro camera adds filters, changes pic point of view

By Edward C. Baig, USA TODAY

10:29PM EST November 15. 2012 - NEW YORK -- Precious few tech products
are groundbreaking, no matter what the folks paid to hype them claim.
But the Lytro digital camera that I reviewed when it started shipping
earlier this year is indeed that rare breed, technology that
epitomizes radical innovation.

Lytro is the shoot first/focus later digital camera based on"light
field technology" research, the subject at which Lytro founder Ren Ng
did his seminal Ph.D work at Stanford University. At the risk of
overhyping things myself, the technology has the potential to reinvent
photography itself.

That doesn't quite happen yet, but using these odd-shaped cameras --
they remind me of oversized containers of lipstick -- enable you to
capture so-called "living pictures," images that let you choose which
part is in focus, and which part blurry, even after the picture was
taken. Though the first version of the camera has numerous drawbacks
-- tricky to learn, no flash, no video, no expandable storage -- you
can't help but marvel at the technological hocus-pocus in play.

On Thursday, Lytro announced a free software update coming December 4
that expands the magic. You will now be able to interactively change
the point of view in living pictures, again long after capturing them.
This is true even of pictures you may have shot in the early days of
the Lytro camera.

What this means is you can keep more of a picture in focus, along the
way changing the way you think about what's in the scene. Each digital
file representing a living picture does have to be reprocessed through
software, which can be slow.

But once you've done that, changing the perspective is as simple as
dragging your mouse in any direction on top of the image, or, doing
the same thing with your finger on an iPad. Even better, the people
you share the images with at lytro.com, on Facebook or Twitter, or on
their own mobile devices can also experience this Perspective Shift
feature as it's called, without needing any special software.

Ng demonstrated the new feature to me ahead of today's announcement.
Changing the perspective in some images provides an effect that feels
a bit like video, which is on the Lytro roadmaps.

The software upgrade also brings another new feature, nine Living
Filters that let you dress up pictures in various ways. Through the
Crayon filter, for example, you can add a touch of color to an
otherwise monochrome picture. A Mosaic filter creates a tiled mosaic
to the out-of-focus parts of a scene. Still another filter, dubbed 8-
Track, adds a 1970-ish vignette-style to a picture, while Line Art
transforms your picture into a grayscale outline.

To make all this happen, Lytro captures light in every direction and
point in space, capturing a lot more data than a conventional digital
camera takes in. Such a process once required a roomful of cameras
tethered to a supercomputer. Now it is all made possible in a camera
you can stash in your coat pocket.

Lytro still has limitations. It may be able to change the focus, but
it is no miracle worker when it comes to motion blur caused by a shaky
shooter. Moreover, there's still a learning curve to using these 7.55-
ounce cameras, which come in different colors and start at a pricey
$399 for 8-gigabyte versions that can take about 350 pictures, or $499
for 16GB or about 750 pictures.

When Lytro first launched, a Mac was required, and Windows PCs were
subsequently added. The company says there isn't much of a wait for
one now as there was when the camera was first made available. After
only be sold initially at the company's website, it is now available
online from Amazon.com, BestBuy.com and Target.com as well.

Even so, Lytro isn't yet a mainstream sell. It's not exactly a
substitute for the camera in your phone, much less a digital SLR. But
then it's not really meant to be. Instead, it's a fun, artistic -- and
dare I say -- revolutionary companion to the other picture takers you
own. And as Lytro is now proving, it can be made better through
software.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ctive/1707573/

There's sample shot on the page to play with, I couldn't get much
perspective shift, but the focus was amazing... to me.
-----

- gpsman
Old November 16th 12, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.11.16 08:30 , gpsman wrote:

Ng demonstrated the new feature to me ahead of today's announcement.
Changing the perspective in some images provides an effect that feels
a bit like video, which is on the Lytro roadmaps.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ctive/1707573/

There's sample shot on the page to play with, I couldn't get much
perspective shift, but the focus was amazing... to me.

If you go to the actual Lytro website you can mouse drag the perspective.

It's not much - sort of like alternately closing and opening opposing
eyes on any given scene (and probably not as much parallax).

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."