Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

Old June 28th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Bill[_3_]

Default Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:16:22 -0700, EXIF Info
wrote:

Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
freeware?

Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)

There must be a combination of freeware out there that allows export of
exif information, text editing, and then import of the resultant file.

There must be someone out there smart enough to figure this out (smarter
than me, that's for sure, 'cuz I can't find a way to do it).

In a related thread (on freeware editing of EXIF data), it was mentioned
that some programs can export XML which can then be editited and imported
back in - but I tried every suggested program and can not accomplish the
simple task.

Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?

If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

The freeware "Exifer" should do what you want.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html

HTH
Bill
Old June 28th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:14:07 -0400, Bill wrote:

The freeware "Exifer" should do what you want.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html

Exifer does not import TEXT Exif information.

The astute observation remains ...

There is no known Windows software that reads TEXT Exif information.

This observation includes Exiv2, which writes Exif information (just like
many other programs) to a text file but which does not IMPORT it back from
that TEXT file.

So far, this astute observation also includes ExifUtils as far as anyone
has proven but I'm still checking that one.
Old June 29th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:50:26 -0700, Tom wrote:
There is no known Windows software that reads TEXT Exif information.

I stand corrected, thanks to Dave.

The brand new MetaEditor 3.0 (as of June 24th) from
http://www.kiwiczech.net/?ref=metaeditor, in my tests, didn't output a text
file without crashing but did output and then reimport an XML file!

I'll continue to test MetaEditor and continue to try to get it to export
and import a text file as documented ............
Old June 29th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:29:46 -0700, Tom wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:50:26 -0700, Tom wrote:
There is no known Windows software that reads TEXT Exif information.

I stand corrected, thanks to Dave.

The brand new MetaEditor 3.0 (as of June 24th) from
http://www.kiwiczech.net/?ref=metaeditor, in my tests, didn't output a
text file without crashing but did output and then reimport an XML file!

I'll continue to test MetaEditor and continue to try to get it to export
and import a text file as documented ............

It only claims to be able to import XML,not text.The dialog when you
export/import says XML for import.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user # 444770
Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
Old June 29th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:29:46 -0700, Tom wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:50:26 -0700, Tom wrote:
There is no known Windows software that reads TEXT Exif information.

I stand corrected, thanks to Dave.

The brand new MetaEditor 3.0 (as of June 24th) from
http://www.kiwiczech.net/?ref=metaeditor, in my tests, didn't output a
text file without crashing but did output and then reimport an XML file!

I'll continue to test MetaEditor and continue to try to get it to export
and import a text file as documented ............

p.s.I used ExifEditor,not MetaEditor

Dave

Old June 29th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Tom[_11_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:00:25 +0000, Dave wrote:

p.s.I used ExifEditor,not MetaEditor

I know Dave. The ExifEditor web page you referenced
http://www.kiwiczech.net/index.php?menu=353&sub=4
says on the home page "as of June 24, 2008" ...

"New version, new name and new funkcionality: application MetaEditor offers
you much more features!" and references the URL
http://www.kiwiczech.net/?ref=metaeditor

I assumed, from this statement, that MetaEditor is everything that
ExifEditor was, and more - and I knew I'd have to test it anyway in case
ExifEditor failed so I went with the latest program to test.

The good news is MetaEditor did output and then import a text-editable XML
file! I wish MetaEditor XML output contained more Canon Exif metadata,
but, for Nikon and Casio, I'm happy with MetaEditor export/import results.

I might try fabricating the proper syntax in the Canon XML file to see if
MetaEditor's import feature can CREATE new tags it previously didn't
understand.

Note: It's unfortunate that MetaEditor can't import its text output file
because XML is ugly for the masses. It doesn't cause me any problems to use
XML for import though, so, I don't consider that a major drawback for me.
Old June 29th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

Default Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF informationusing freeware?[OT]

Tom wrote:
[...]

There is still other Windows apps that import and export text.The
shareware app ExifPilot Pro exports to XML,XLS or CSV,and imports same.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user #444770