Is this dust on the sensor? (image link)

Old June 25th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

Default Is this dust on the sensor? (image link)

SMS wrote:
"http://i26.tinypic.com/izw321.jpg"

I see the same spot no matter which lens I use so I'm pretty sure it's
not the lens.

This is a 20D.

It could be a bad pixel.
Old June 25th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

SMS wrote:

"http://nordicgroup.us/depicsforjulie/IMG_2729.JPG"

Several dust spots. Use a blower bulb. May take several tries to get
them all.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 26th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Alan Browne wrote:
SMS wrote:

"http://nordicgroup.us/depicsforjulie/IMG_2729.JPG"

Several dust spots. Use a blower bulb. May take several tries to get
them all.

Thanks. I tried a blower to no avail. Yesterday I brought it to the
local professional camera store where they do a lot of sensor cleaning,
and they said if they can't clean with a blower they'll do a wet
cleaning. They charge $45.
Old June 27th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

SMS wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
SMS wrote:

"http://nordicgroup.us/depicsforjulie/IMG_2729.JPG"

Several dust spots. Use a blower bulb. May take several tries to get
them all.

Thanks. I tried a blower to no avail. Yesterday I brought it to the
local professional camera store where they do a lot of sensor cleaning,
and they said if they can't clean with a blower they'll do a wet
cleaning. They charge $45.

I've never done a wet cleaning and my camera is 3+ years old. I change
lenses frequently and often in blowing conditions.

I just hold the camera lens throat down (with the camera in sensor
cleaning mode, of course) and use a blower bulb with a long thin straw
quite close to the sensor.

Take out of focus f/22 shots of the wall to test. It usually takes 2 or
3 tries. Worse was about 7 tries. I've done this about once every 6
months (or less). (keep in mind that dust is on the opposite corner of
its location in the image).

This beats all hell out of spending $45 and not having my camera on hand.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 28th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Alan Browne wrote:

This beats all hell out of spending $45 and not having my camera on hand.

I picked it up yesterday. Two days wasn't bad. I was talking to the
repair department person about what was done, and he said that most 20D
cameras require wet cleaning of the sensor. I just wasn't comfortable
doing a wet cleaning myself. They do a pre-test to check for the dust,
and a post-test to ensure that the sensor is clean.