Canon and Panasonic: updated models

Old May 28th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bowser

Default Canon and Panasonic: updated models

On Thu, 27 May 2010 11:16:02 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

On Thu, 27 May 2010 09:47:28 -0700, SMS
wrote in :

One problem with these super-zooms is that their often unfairly compared
to D-SLRs rather than to P&Ss. Of course they'll never be able to be as
good as D-SLR with a much larger, much lower noise sensor, and the
AF/lag will never be as good with contrast detection AF as it is with
phase detect AF. Guess one should "never say never" but it's hard to get
around the basic physics.

Total nonsense.

Uh, not really. I own an FZ35 and while I love it, it's clearly not in
the same league as any DSLR with regards to image quality or AF speed.
Not to say it's bad; it's quite good. But nowhere near a DSLR.
Old May 28th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

On 27/05/10 4:22 PM, Bowser wrote:

Uh, not really. I own an FZ35 and while I love it, it's clearly not in
the same league as any DSLR with regards to image quality or AF speed.
Not to say it's bad; it's quite good. But nowhere near a DSLR.

You've got to understand the issue here. Apparently our favorite troll
has an FZ-35/FZ-38 so by default that camera becomes the perfect camera
and it can have no faults.

Unlike you and I, who could objectively look at most any item we own and
point out both its highs and lows to someone who inquires about it,
there are people that immediately after purchasing an item feel
compelled to justify the purchase to the entire world and make it clear
that their purchasing decision was in fact the best possible one. It's
deep-seated insecurity that causes this behavior.

The reality is that it at low ISO settings the FZ-35/FZ-38 produces
acceptable results, and it has many highly desirable features.
But it is neither the best quality ZLR in terms of noise or image
quality, nor is it anywhere close to quality of a D-SLR.
Old May 28th 10, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

On 27/05/2010 16:07 Dave Cohen wrote:

If I do upgrade again, I would get the SX20 unless the SX1 IS were
available at worthwhile cost saving. I don't find the AA batteries to be
a disadvantage except for a little more size and weight and I insist on
having some form of viewfinder, something that seems to be omitted from
more and more p&s's.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and pointers. I now have an SX1
IS on order.

I was more than pleased with my FZ30, it did all that I wanted of it,
and it did it well. My main reasons for seeking a replacement were not
because I was disappointed with it but because the flash release button
had come away and was going to cost too much to repair, some images were
starting to be corrupted when they were saved and I wanted a longer
zoom. The possibility of HD video was also a temptation.

The temptation to wait for the next new iteration, however, was never
very strong. I was just concerned that if I bought today and a new one
was announced tomorrow I might just have missed something that was
'better'. Note the *might*!

As for the SX1, as well as good reviews, it's very 'controllable', it
has a fast burst mode, it has a viewfinder (which I consider vital), the
LCD can be rotated (again, very useful and missing on the later
Panasonics) and it uses AA batteries. Oh, and there's currently a £50
cashback offer on it from Canon. The only downside I can see is that,
like the later Panasonics, it doesn't have the manual zoom ring of the FZ30.

Time will tell on whether or not I made the right decision...

Old May 28th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bowser

On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:45:06 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

On Thu, 27 May 2010 19:22:29 -0400, Bowser wrote in
:

wrote in :

One problem with these super-zooms is that their often unfairly compared
to D-SLRs rather than to P&Ss. Of course they'll never be able to be as
good as D-SLR with a much larger, much lower noise sensor, and the
AF/lag will never be as good with contrast detection AF as it is with
phase detect AF. Guess one should "never say never" but it's hard to get
around the basic physics.

Total nonsense.

Uh, not really. I own an FZ35 and while I love it, it's clearly not in
the same league as any DSLR with regards to image quality or AF speed.
Not to say it's bad; it's quite good. But nowhere near a DSLR.

Uh, really. I own an FZ28, which is excellent, and the FZ35 I borrowed
for a day was ever better. Autofocus speed is excellent *if* you
configure the cameras properly. Image quality likewise.
I routinely get better shots (in all respects) than those shooting the
same subjects with dSLR cameras. Perhaps you need more practice with
the FZ35.

Nah, it's configured just fine. Every time we go down this road I ask
you to prove what you say, we banter, and you never provide proof.
Some other time, John.
Old May 28th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bowser

On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:22:59 -0700, SMS
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.
Old May 28th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

On 28/05/10 3:41 AM, F wrote:

snip

As for the SX1, as well as good reviews, it's very 'controllable', it
has a fast burst mode, it has a viewfinder (which I consider vital), the
LCD can be rotated (again, very useful and missing on the later
Panasonics) and it uses AA batteries. Oh, and there's currently a £50
cashback offer on it from Canon. The only downside I can see is that,
like the later Panasonics, it doesn't have the manual zoom ring of the
FZ30.

Yeah, manual zoom rings are great, but unfortunately that's a feature
that's been decontented out of most ZLRs.

Good choice. Consider trying CHDK on it. The SX1 already has many of the
features that CHDK provides to the lower end Canon models, but there's
still some useful stuff in there. If you have any questions on CHDK let
me know. I wrote a lot of documentation for it and I'm very familiar
with it.

Old May 28th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

On 28/05/10 6:05 AM, Bowser wrote:

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.

I kill-filed him years ago. His lack of knowledge is not limited just to
digital cameras, but extends to other fields as well. It's amusing at
first, then as you stated, it gets boring.
Old May 28th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
LOL!

On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:59:11 -0700, SMS wrote:

On 28/05/10 3:41 AM, F wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh, PLEASE do ask SMS how to use any part of CHDK. This is a laugh whenever
this happens. This psychotic SMS troll who has NEVER touched CHDK doesn't
know a damn thing about it. Even if you ask him how to install it he gets
that wrong! Dozens of people have asked him things about CHDK in the past
and he conveniently ignores their questions, pretending he never saw them.

LOL!

Old May 28th 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bowser

On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:17:56 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:02:59 -0400, Bowser wrote in
:

wrote:

On Thu, 27 May 2010 19:22:29 -0400, Bowser wrote in
:

Uh, not really. I own an FZ35 and while I love it, it's clearly not in
the same league as any DSLR with regards to image quality or AF speed.
Not to say it's bad; it's quite good. But nowhere near a DSLR.

Uh, really. I own an FZ28, which is excellent, and the FZ35 I borrowed
for a day was ever better. Autofocus speed is excellent *if* you
configure the cameras properly. Image quality likewise.
I routinely get better shots (in all respects) than those shooting the
same subjects with dSLR cameras. Perhaps you need more practice with
the FZ35.

Nah, it's configured just fine.

Apparently not.

Every time we go down this road I ask
you to prove what you say, we banter, and you never provide proof.
Some other time, John.

I've provided more than adequate proof repeatedly (again today), but you
are still entitled to your opinion, no matter how unfounded.

OK, just this once:

You claim that the Panny FZ35 AF is as fast as a DSLR. Prove it. Not
your opinion, not a statement that "it's fast" but real proof. Some
third party testing that shows it's as fast as, say, my Canon 5D II.

When you've conquered that one, post a few samples shot at ISO 3200
that match the 5D II.

We're all waiting.
Old May 28th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bowser

On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:20:06 -0700, John Navas
wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:05:00 -0400, Bowser wrote in
:

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.

'Those who have evidence will present their evidence,
whereas those who do not have evidence will attack the man.'

And your evidence is....where?