Wore out my D200 shutter, apparently

Old March 30th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Wore out my D200 shutter, apparently

89,736 shutter actuations in just under 2 years (1 year warranty) and I
apparently wore my D200 shutter out. Here's the description of the
problem I'm sending with it to Nikon for repair:

'Blinking "Err" message every other shot. Attempting to click makes a
partial shutter release sound and clears the Err message, second attempt
takes a photo then the Err message returns. In manual mode, shutter
speed adjustments between 1/650 & 1/500 make a huge difference, either
over or underexposed.'

I have used it extensively for time lapse movies, hence the high shutter
count. Hopefully I'll only pay a couple hundred bucks and that'll be
worth not buying another P&S for time lapse plus I've been able to use
all my lenses & stuff this way.

Here's someone else describing the same problem:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcbo...topic_id=25249
- they say it was fixed as a "B2" class repair which the guy on the
phone said was medium high damage. I would guess "medium high" is more
than a couple hundred but he guessed less... we'll see. Nikon, oddly,
won't say what they actually repair, at least under warranty as I read
elsewhere, just give it a classification based on number & cost of parts
involved.
Old March 30th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:
I'm sending with it to Nikon for repair

Since it's out of warranty, there should be no problem with the Katz Eye
focusing screen, right?
Old March 30th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Paul Furman" wrote:
89,736 shutter actuations in just under 2 years (1 year warranty) and I
apparently wore my D200 shutter out. Here's the description of the problem
I'm sending with it to Nikon for repair:

I'd love to see what a Leica or Nikon FM3 looks like after 89,000 exposures.
I'd guess that rolling 2400 rolls of film up and back would pretty much
destroy the mechanism. To say nothing of one's wallet: film + processing
costs about US$10 a roll here, but even at US$5.00, that's US$120,000.

I have used it extensively for time lapse movies, hence the high shutter
count. Hopefully I'll only pay a couple hundred bucks and that'll be worth
not buying another P&S for time lapse plus I've been able to use all my
lenses & stuff this way.

I'll be interested in hearing what happens. The expectation in the Canonista
camp is that shutters can be replaced for around US$240 or so. (It's only of
academic interest he I'm only at about 7,000 actuations on my 5D in three
years.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 30th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
I'd love to see what a Leica or Nikon FM3 looks like after 89,000
exposures. I'd guess that rolling 2400 rolls of film up and back would
pretty much destroy the mechanism. To say nothing of one's wallet: film +
processing costs about US$10 a roll here, but even at US$5.00, that's
US$120,000.

Oops. The math's a tad off thereg.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 30th 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Paul Furman" wrote:
89,736 shutter actuations in just under 2 years (1 year warranty) and I
apparently wore my D200 shutter out. Here's the description of the
problem I'm sending with it to Nikon for repair:

I'd love to see what a Leica or Nikon FM3 looks like after 89,000
exposures. I'd guess that rolling 2400 rolls of film up and back would
pretty much destroy the mechanism. To say nothing of one's wallet: film +
processing costs about US$10 a roll here, but even at US$5.00, that's
US$120,000.

If you look at it that way, it's still very cheap per click..

I have used it extensively for time lapse movies, hence the high shutter
count. Hopefully I'll only pay a couple hundred bucks and that'll be
worth not buying another P&S for time lapse plus I've been able to use
all my lenses & stuff this way.

I'll be interested in hearing what happens. The expectation in the
Canonista camp is that shutters can be replaced for around US$240 or so.
(It's only of academic interest he I'm only at about 7,000 actuations
on my 5D in three years.)

OK that rules you out as a serious photographer; you hardly had time to know
your camera ;-)

On my D300 after 3.5 months I'm at 6,750 (exactly) and that includes a few
weeks of problems with my shoulder, so less shooting.
Only yesterday I shot over 350 pics and that was when I didn't have a lot of
time...
And yet I feel I'm only scratching the surface as far as I should know the
camera ;-)

--
Focus

Old March 30th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
I'd love to see what a Leica or Nikon FM3 looks like after 89,000
exposures. I'd guess that rolling 2400 rolls of film up and back would
pretty much destroy the mechanism. To say nothing of one's wallet: film +
processing costs about US$10 a roll here, but even at US$5.00, that's
US$120,000.

Oops. The math's a tad off thereg.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

$12,000 plus the cost of film. $24,000 at $10 a roll.

Not to speak of the reality of how long Leica shutters have lasted and
the pro Nikons were good for 100,000+ exposures, if I'm remembering
correctly. Leaf shutters are even more robust if maintained -- some
people still shoot with pre-war Rolleiflexes.
Old March 30th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
I'd love to see what a Leica or Nikon FM3 looks like after 89,000
exposures. I'd guess that rolling 2400 rolls of film up and back would
pretty much destroy the mechanism. To say nothing of one's wallet: film +
processing costs about US$10 a roll here, but even at US$5.00, that's
US$120,000.

Oops. The math's a tad off thereg.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

$12,000 plus the cost of film. $24,000 at $10 a roll.

Not to speak of the reality of how long Leica shutters have lasted and
the pro Nikons were good for 100,000+ exposures, if I'm remembering
correctly. Leaf shutters are even more robust if maintained -- some
people still shoot with pre-war Rolleiflexes.

Yes it's supposed to be 100K and with normal still photography: 90K is
still plenty. It's the time lapse movies that did this, plus
considerable abuse, bouncing around in the pack, hiking, sliding off the
bench in a sailboat to the floor, death valley dust storms, etc.
Old March 30th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DaveS[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
[...]

You should just sit on the dock and take pretty pictures... :O)

Have fun,
Dave

Old March 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

DaveS wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
[...]

I'll be doing that with my cell phone for a while till it gets repaired.
:-)
Old March 30th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve[_12_]

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:02:58 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

DaveS wrote:

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Rebecca Ore wrote:
In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:
[...]

Why not just get another one? I recently sent my D200 in to Nikon for
some repair. While I didn't have it, I was looking around for another
and found one that a wedding photographer was getting rid of because
they were upgrading to the D300. It's in great shape but has 50k
actuations. Because of that, I got it for only $400. Now that I got
mine back and don't need 2, I'm thinking of selling one on ebay. I
just can't decide which.

Steve