White cat pix problems

Old June 19th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default White cat pix problems

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is a couple years old but is fairly
advanced (I'm told).
Can't seem to figure out how to take pics of my white Persian cat
without him being completely washed out. This is especially true when
the flash kicks in. Is there a trick to this? I admit to being mostly
an "auto setting" guy and haven't read the manual in detail.
What's odd is that my kid has a newer Canon ( 7 megapix) camera that
cost 1/4 price of the Nikon and it takes awesome pics of the cat using
auto presets.

Thanks
Mark

Old June 19th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Larry Bud

On Jun 19, 1:30 pm, wrote:
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is a couple years old but is fairly
advanced (I'm told).
Can't seem to figure out how to take pics of my white Persian cat
without him being completely washed out. This is especially true when
the flash kicks in. Is there a trick to this? I admit to being mostly
an "auto setting" guy and haven't read the manual in detail.
What's odd is that my kid has a newer Canon ( 7 megapix) camera that
cost 1/4 price of the Nikon and it takes awesome pics of the cat using
auto presets.

Why should we believe you'd read the answers we give here when you
don't read the manual?

Old June 20th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

wrote in message
s.com...
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is a couple years old but is fairly
advanced (I'm told).
Can't seem to figure out how to take pics of my white Persian cat
without him being completely washed out. This is especially true when
the flash kicks in. Is there a trick to this? I admit to being mostly
an "auto setting" guy and haven't read the manual in detail.
What's odd is that my kid has a newer Canon ( 7 megapix) camera that
cost 1/4 price of the Nikon and it takes awesome pics of the cat using
auto presets.

Thanks
Mark

The trick is to read the instructions which came with the camera, especially
the bit about Exposure Compensation, and how to use the Controls.

Roy G

Old June 20th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is a couple years old but is fairly
advanced (I'm told).
Can't seem to figure out how to take pics of my white Persian cat
without him being completely washed out. This is especially true when
the flash kicks in. Is there a trick to this? I admit to being mostly
an "auto setting" guy and haven't read the manual in detail.
What's odd is that my kid has a newer Canon ( 7 megapix) camera that
cost 1/4 price of the Nikon and it takes awesome pics of the cat using
auto presets.

Thanks
Mark

I fixed that problem, I have Siamese.

In any case you need to increase the exposure, likely several stops.
Just how best to do this depends on the specific camera and its features.
Since I don't have your specific camera I nor have the manual, I can't
really offer any specific suggestion other than RTFM (read the manual)
There your will likely find several methods. Which one will work best for
you I don't know. Trial and error should answer that question.

Note: I have owned Nikons and right now I have Canons. There is
nothing about either camera that makes one better than the other. Knowing
the camera and how to use it is far more important that which camera you
have. Don't blame the camera, it came with the manual.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old June 20th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:24:33 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
: wrote:
: I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is a couple years old but is fairly
: advanced (I'm told).
: Can't seem to figure out how to take pics of my white Persian cat
: without him being completely washed out. This is especially true when
: the flash kicks in. Is there a trick to this? I admit to being mostly
: an "auto setting" guy and haven't read the manual in detail.
: What's odd is that my kid has a newer Canon ( 7 megapix) camera that
: cost 1/4 price of the Nikon and it takes awesome pics of the cat using
: auto presets.
:
: Thanks
: Mark
:
: I fixed that problem, I have Siamese.
:
: In any case you need to increase the exposure, likely several stops.

If the camera's current settings cause the cat to be "completely washed out",
wouldn't you want to *decrease* the exposure?

Or since dark subjects typically require longer (or wider) exposures than
light ones, a possibility for the OP to consider would be to take pictures of
a black dog rather than a white cat. Find a Labrador retriever willing to put
his paw print on a model release, and give it a try.

: Just how best to do this depends on the specific camera and its features.
: Since I don't have your specific camera I nor have the manual, I can't
: really offer any specific suggestion other than RTFM (read the manual)

Isn't it "Read The 'Fine' Manual"?

: There your will likely find several methods. Which one will work best for
: you I don't know. Trial and error should answer that question.
:
: Note: I have owned Nikons and right now I have Canons. There is
: nothing about either camera that makes one better than the other.

Getting better results at 1/4 of the price doesn't make that camera better?

Old June 20th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? ?????? ??? ??????
s.com...
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which is a couple years old but is fairly
advanced (I'm told).
Can't seem to figure out how to take pics of my white Persian cat
without him being completely washed out. This is especially true when
the flash kicks in. Is there a trick to this? I admit to being mostly
an "auto setting" guy and haven't read the manual in detail.
What's odd is that my kid has a newer Canon ( 7 megapix) camera that
cost 1/4 price of the Nikon and it takes awesome pics of the cat using
auto presets.

I'm sorry I can't give any blanket advice, but it seems you have to work it
out on your own.
You can share your kitty's photo he
www.picato.net

--